Funny story with question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a fella that is a security guard at the Kansas Speedway and he had some whoppers to tell the group that was willing to listen. The guard claims he got to take a ride in a new NASCAR race car that was brought down form Charlotte to be tested. Said that he was in the car and it topped out at 202 mph. He went on to tell the group that NASCAR engines are torn down only when they have at least 15,000 miles on the engine. Said he was offered a job back east to do nothing but, rebuild racing engines for $85,000 a year. Last but, not least the guard claimed that NASCAR is going to fuel injection and carbs are out either soon or next year.

For those who might know, aren't these engines torn down after each race or just trashed? I have heard both of these.

Oh, by the way this guard used to be a former mechanic for my employer which does not say much.

Last edited:
I don't know of many people that would choose a security guard job at 25K per year over a race team mechanics job at 85K per year.

As for the 15,000 mile thing,, nah.

Fuel injection vs Carbs,, I hope.

If the test track were in Florida then maybe the car was "brought down" from North Carolina. A trip 'OUT' to Kansas would likely be more geographically correct. Of course the guys in North Carolina would say that they're going "out yonder" to Kansas. Just sayin....

NASCAR is definitely going to fuel injection next year. Whether it will be full time or only on selected races remains to be seen.

I thought the cage got in the way of the passenger seat, except for special VIP cars to show off to sponsors.

Originally Posted By: Rob Taggs
NASCAR is going to fuel injection and carbs are out either soon or next year.

That part is true.

I figured the fuel injection thing may not be too far off the mark. The part about NASCAR engines being rebuilt only when the have a total of at least 15,000 miles on them was really far out there. This guard used to be the supervisor mechanic where I work, my bet is he would never be able to pass the ASE tests that are now being instituted. Only about half of our mechanics have the book smarts to pass them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back