Funny Dealer Intercom Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a high-vol Toyota dealer today, waiting for my car to get washed (prep for a car meet), and I heard this exact message being announced on the intercom outside:

"Please use 5/30 bulk oil on all vehicles that do not require synthetic.

Repeat.

Please use 5/30 bulk oil on all vehicles that do not require synthetic."

Just thought it was pretty funny. I guess someone ran out of 5/20?

What an example of bad-process!

What do they do for messages that have more techical content?

How do they account for the guy who: isn't there that day, is out on a test drive, doesn't/can't hear for a variety of reasons?

I would have loved to hear the conversation that an anal customer would have with their advisor, if their vehicle took non-synthetic 5/20.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I would have loved to hear the conversation that an anal customer would have with their advisor, if their vehicle took non-synthetic 5/20.
lol.gif

"May I have my car back now, please? I just remembered I have to arrange my sock drawer today!"

lol.gif

How many Toyota drivers really would know what their vehicle took let alone be anal?

Funny how many BITOG'ers are always quick to caution the adventurous to use the oil recommended for their cars and to never stray from the regular oil weight for warranty purposes.

This dealership is pretty brave to just outright say that.

"Please use 5/30 bulk oil on all vehicles that do not require synthetic.

Repeat.

Please use 5/30 bulk oil on all vehicles that do not require synthetic."

Did they really say and repeat that over an intercom? Did they announce what size socket to use on the drain plug over the P.A. too?
smirk.gif

There may have been an internal chronic problem, and this was addressed in a blanket fashion over the intercom to give official policy.

Originally Posted By: D189379
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well 5w30 is better than 5w20 anyway, everybody knows that!
27.gif

crackmeup2.gif

5W40 is better than 5W30!!
MC 5W-50 is better than both of them!
grin2.gif

That might have happened at the local dealer here. The last time I took my 5.7 sequoia there for an oil change, they had to change it 3 times before they got it right! I requested 5w/20 and they put bulk oil in. I just happened to be watching when it happened. So, they changed it again and I watched as the tech opened quart bottles and poured them in. When I got home, I checked the dip stick and it was at least 2 quarts low. Back to the dealer and the service tech apologized an had them run my sequoia back in for a top off. Guess what they topped it off with! Their bulk oil! One more change! I haven't been back since.

My local toyota dealer used to use 10W30 oil in anything and everything that didn't require synthetic oil. I was OK with that (deep south).

A couple of years they went in another extreme and started using 5W20 in all cars, except for synthetic 0W20.

I had a problem with that as my car was spec'ed for 5W30 and I do occasional towing with it. I argued with the advisor and he would not admit wrongdoing showing the infamous toyota TSB as an excuse.

Sure enough, the engine developed a light engine knock on acceleration in the very same OCI. Next change with 5w30 did nothing to reverse it. Now the dealership is saying the noise is normal.

I hate dealerships (just venting).

Originally Posted By: hogpops
That might have happened at the local dealer here. The last time I took my 5.7 sequoia there for an oil change, they had to change it 3 times before they got it right! I requested 5w/20 and they put bulk oil in. I just happened to be watching when it happened. So, they changed it again and I watched as the tech opened quart bottles and poured them in. When I got home, I checked the dip stick and it was at least 2 quarts low. Back to the dealer and the service tech apologized an had them run my sequoia back in for a top off. Guess what they topped it off with! Their bulk oil! One more change! I haven't been back since.

I'd go back. Sounds like they do engine flushes for the price of an oil change!

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

A couple of years they went in another extreme and started using 5W20 in all cars, except for synthetic 0W20.

CATERHAM must have gotten hired as the new shop foreman.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back