Fun Vintage Sedan

How are these compared to series III?
the 40 gets hate because it looks like a box but everything about it was much better especially the powertrain. fit/finish in a different league. easier to live with and work on. drives better and rides better.

the 300 looks more traditional and you get some modern upgrades

Last edited:
May I suggest a Lincoln Town Car, but early 90’s with the fuel injected Modular V-8. Cheap on parts and readily available rebuilt transmissions.

46B5AA0A-1C83-4C78-AACD-8617EF107DD2.jpg

I should have added a Volvo or two to the list. I have a soft spot for the 164 and 240's (love the 262C, but that is a 2 door).
My 740 Turbo was a good car. And with great seats. Mine had a manual transmission but this is one of the (few) cases where I would recommend an automatic instead.

So think about the 740 and 940 Turbos too. Being galvanized, they're even fairly rust resistant. Mine had a bit of rust after 18 years, but what can you expect when one home town puts rock chips on their roads and the next home town puts large amounts of salt on their roads.

Late 70's Lincoln Town Car
65-68 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Ford Country Squire Wagon
Chrysler Town and Country

I would buy something I liked for budget set , spend repair money on things that will kill you otherwise and throw away which might occur in 9 months or couple years.

A friend does this and got some cool cars like VW Phaeton, Audi A8 , Lincoln something and currently an old BMW 850.

The Citroën DS21. Nothing rides better.
I don't know where you'd source parts for it. But, you now have the Internet, something that wasn't around in '67.
I've always had a place in my heart, if not my garage, for the Citroën Maserati:

1641342017828.jpg

There are some real pieces of garbage recommended on this thread.
Oh, do tell :) The domestic stuff doesn't do anything for me, well most of it. Some interesting ones that I didn't think of..and I have probably owned or wanted someone's 'garbage' over the years...it is all fun.

Hmmmm, the late 70's through late 80's Maserati BiTurbo Saloon is attractive.
It sure is, but other than doing a drivetrain swap, is there anyone within 500 miles of you that can make it semi-reliable, and then keep it that way?
The first gen Acura Legends are kind of neat, with zingy little honda v6's and a manual trans. A Buick Park Avenue Ultra is definitely a good two couple older car with big couch seats that aren't made anymore.

Volvo wagon. Straight 6 diesel, manual transmission. I think.

i also liked the mid 80s celicas.

there were some beautiful benzes, the W123 I think it was? Seems like right after that there was a LWB offering?

Keep it before the late 70s so you'll have some of those delightfully weird euro controls.

Test drove a 73 Bavaria. Dude already had a buyer willing to pay his asking price, but he wanted more. I didn't want to be cowed so I walked away. Had a 3-speed automatic that probably ruined the driving experience. Rest was great-- real thin pillars, lots of glass. Car was simple yet refined. Had a weird skinny tire size, 175R14 or so, but still handled well.

Get a car from the 80s and the controls will be normal, the handling boring, and you'll be mistaken for being poor instead of a collector.

Back