Fun order from Japan - PM2.5 cabin air filter & HVAC bacteria/mold inhibitor for my Honda HR-V

Ordered the Bosch HEPA filter from rockauto thinking it'll help with my allergies. The airflow was so bad that the windows weren't able to defog in the winter which was a safety issue.

After doing some research on high efficiency filters, I came across the Japanese company Mlitfilter.

They claim better airflow than the most basic of filters:
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.13.47 PM.jpg

Translated Features:
IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

I also ordered a bacteria and mold inhibitor, made from synthetic wasabi which attaches to the air filter.

It's made by Valeo and is sold by a few car companies as an official OEM part (ex: Honda)

IMG_1377.jpg

How it looks installed on the air filter:
IMG_6940.jpg

Translated features:
IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6987.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

Cool stickers:
IMG_6942.JPG

Links for the Air Filter:
If you've got a Mazda MX-5 or a Subaru, they sell direct on Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A1V7PID092GT9C&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Otherwise, Amazon Japan ships internationally.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/store...CB44-E0F3-4407-90AC-BF99D3EDEA3D?ref_=ast_bln

Links for the Wasabi mold/bacteria inhibitor (unfortunately not sold outside Japan, so you'll have to use a forwarder like Zenmarket or Biginjapan):
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00BDF3NDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.27.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.27.16 PM.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 24
Ordered the Bosch HEPA filter from rockauto thinking it'll help with my allergies. The airflow was so bad that the windows weren't able to defog in the winter which was a safety issue.

After doing some research on high efficiency filters, I came across the Japanese company Mlitfilter.

They claim better airflow than the most basic of filters:
View attachment 125646

Translated Features:
View attachment 125652

View attachment 125653

I also ordered a bacteria and mold inhibitor, made from synthetic wasabi which attaches to the air filter.

It's made by Valeo and is sold by a few car companies as an official OEM part (ex: Honda)

View attachment 125655

How it looks installed on the air filter:
View attachment 125656

Translated features:
View attachment 125658

View attachment 125659

View attachment 125660

Cool stickers:
View attachment 125661

Links for the Air Filter:
If you've got a Mazda MX-5 or a Subaru, they sell direct on Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A1V7PID092GT9C&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Otherwise, Amazon Japan ships internationally.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/store...CB44-E0F3-4407-90AC-BF99D3EDEA3D?ref_=ast_bln

Links for the Wasabi mold/bacteria inhibitor (unfortunately not sold outside Japan, so you'll have to use a forwarder like Zenmarket or Biginjapan):
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00BDF3NDM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Give us an update when you can.

Give us an update when you can.

Wasabi smell disappears quickly from the vents and the airflow from the filter could not be better. No issues of any kind defrosting in the winter.

I see on their website they sell covid masks made out of the same material and show a test saying it meets n95 spec.

The questions and answers section of the website gave me a smile:
(translated from Japanese):

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 6.55.35 PM.png

Thanks for replying.
Looks like it will fit a lot of Toyotas.
Also laughed at the translations. lol

I wonder if the thicker filters could cause strain ( shorter life ? ) on the blower motor when used . Had the FRAM CF11182 and removed it due to less air flow than the O.E.M. when the blower was off . Probably apply when blower on .

I wonder if the thicker filters could cause strain ( shorter life ? ) on the blower motor when used . Had the FRAM CF11182 and removed it due to less air flow than the O.E.M. when the blower was off . Probably apply when blower on .

My HVAC guy once said as long as the pressure drop was within the spec of the system, there shouldn't be any concerns about picking a filter with a higher pressure drop.

Fram should meet the spec so unless I'm wrong, the only downside is lower airflow.

For the house, ended up buying the 3m filtrete 1900 (merv 13) which was the more powerful filter and somehow, has a lower pressure drop than the filtrete 1500 (merv 12).

So thickness isn't the only thing to keep in mind, material seems to matter as well.

3m filtrete is one example of this or the marketing material for the Japanese filter

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 10.07.33 AM.png

Since the fram has less air flow, OEM can't be beat.

Last edited:
I'd rather use the thinner O.E.M. than have the blower motor possibly quit due to a thicker filter . Have replaced a blower (or 2 ? ) in the past which was a big a pain in the neck and back . I was in the 30s' at that time .

Reactions: hrv
I'd rather use the thinner O.E.M. than have the blower motor possibly quit due to a thicker filter . Have replaced a blower (or 2 ? ) in the past which was a big a pain in the neck and back . I was in the 30s' at that time .

agreed.

you might be onto something. that fram freshbreeze you posted was my go-to since since buying the car in 2016 and around a year ago, the blower started making noise after being turned on in cold weather. Replaced it preemptively.

I’ve seen posts saying activated carbon in air filters doesn’t last long (under a month) and baking soda doesn’t sound good for airflow so the fram might just be good marketing

Thanks for sharing, that is awesome. I love Japanese things but sometimes wonder about the "science" behind their products. It's still fun to see what's available in other markets though

And filter media vs air flow is a not as simple as it seems. I went down the rabbit hole looking at filters for my air handler and found that thinner is not always better. Most HVAC "technicians" say to avoid high MERV filters due to airflow restriction, and to use the cheapest MERV8 filter available. However, testing has found that a lot of cheap filters had a higher pressure drop than something like a MERV13 3M Filtrete 1900:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, that is awesome. I love Japanese things but sometimes wonder about the "science" behind their products. It's still fun to see what's available in other markets though

And filter media vs air flow is a not as simple as it seems. I went down the rabbit hole looking at filters for my air handler and found that thinner is not always better. Most HVAC "technicians" say to avoid high MERV filters due to airflow restriction, and to use the cheapest MERV8 filter available. However, testing has found that a lot of cheap filters had a higher pressure drop than something like a MERV13 3M Filtrete 1900:

There's a graph in post#1 showing a reduction of bacteria in the drain water. It's not a peer reviewed study but they say it was a real 5 month test done on public roads.

There are also studies which show that wasabi has antibacterial properties
Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 3.04.36 PM.png

It is kind of suspicious that Valeo hasn't brought it to other markets. Smelly HVAC systems is a common issue and I assume many would be willing to buy this as a preventive measure.

Last edited:
Back