Fun at the DMV

My license is due to expire the end of this month. I got a notice from the DMV back in November. So I made an appointment for the soonest day which was December 16.

Looked online and brought what the DMV site said I needed to bring.

Got to the lady at the door and she said I had to have my birth cert and SSI card too and that I was required to get a real i.d. whatever that is

Had to order my birth cert as mine seems to be lost.

Got it Wednesday. This time they had an appt available for today, Friday @2:40 p.

Got there. Did my paperwork. They called my number and that girl can't do my license so they sent me to another girl.

Ok whatever. This girl never asked for any I d. I asked her why and she said those were for real i.d. and that they don't do real i.d. On Fridays.

Once again the California DMV does not know what's right or wrong. Ask 3 ppl there the same question and you get 3 different answers.

Never mind the fact that they were such jerks that they had to be retrained a while back.

Idiots!

When I renewed mine, I showed them my passport and that was ok. My birth certificate, I have no clue as to where that is.

I can attest to the OP's frustration. The CA DMV is populated with the most incompetent people and inscrutable rules I've ever encountered in my time on Earth. My standard practice these days is to pose my question to at least 5 different DMV employees in succession and go with the most consistent answer or guidance before casting my shadow in person.

Back in the early 1990s I wanted my learner's permit in Taxachusetts. I did all the research as to the process as I was quite excited. I learned I needed a copy of my birth certificate. My mom had no idea where it was. I knew it took eight weeks to get a copy so I nagged, whined, pleaded, eight weeks before I turned 16. Mom dragged her heels and eventually ordered it.

My 16th birthday came, she never got it in the mail. So on a lark she went to the safe deposit box and found the original copy.

I moved out, and kept this "official copy" with embossed seal from 1992. Just renewed my license in Maine, went for the real ID at extra cost. Brought this 30 year old birth certificate. They wouldn't take it! I pointed out the seal. They didn't like that it was on "copier paper."

So I pulled out my passport card and that went fine.

As Charlie Day would say...

"REAL ID" is the federal standard requirements so that the ID can be used to fly domestically. (Also enter fed buildings and nuclear facilities).

However, many states offer "non-compliant" ID as well. You may ask if you can get that; then those extras are not required. But that assume the "idiots" at the CA DMV actually know you can get a non-compliant ID ...

Yeah I thought that was a bit odd too. Gf and I both have one though since we have dual citizenship, and are out of the country quite often. I don't understand why they just can't go by your old DL.
Real ID is a federal thing. It basically proves your here legally, which the state ID does not. It can get you on a flight, into a federal building, etc.

There is a list of docs you need to get a real ID. Passport is one option (because the department of state has already vetted you). Citizenship papers, or birth certificate. I think there might be others as well, maybe military ID or whatever. You need one of those and some other things to get real ID.

In SC at least you can get license with real ID, or without - but if you get without you can't get on an airplane with it.

Dang do you have to go to the DMV every time your license is do? Here in Virginia it’s the click of a button on a computer and the new one is in the mail. They make you come in like every third time or something like that to retake your picture and typically our licenses are good for like 7 or 8 years so it’s not that often you go in.

They mentioned a passport. Why would someone have that unless they were going to another country?
Because you never know when you may need it since it takes weeks if not months to get it. Better to have it and not need it.

It's also good for something like this since the identification proof process is more stringent.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Dang do you have to go to the DMV every time your license is do? Here in Virginia it’s the click of a button on a computer and the new one is in the mail. They make you come in like every third time or something like that to retake your picture and typically our licenses are good for like 7 or 8 years so it’s not that often you go in.
Here you can usually renew online. After so many years, they make you come in person for a new picture.

I got my Real ID right before COVID hit. I saw the list of required docs online and brought two more than I needed just to make sure because the DMV has its reputation for a reason. I wasn't going to give them any excuses for denying it. I wasn't leaving there without it.

I can't speak for CA but I don't think the Real ID is mandatory, at least not over here... it only affects for for flying out of state and visiting military installations. My argument is my birth certificate was provided to the DMV when I got my learner's permit, I understand that was so long ago but it's already been given to them just to get my license so I shouldn't have to do it all over again.

This is for VA...

I can't speak for CA but I don't think the Real ID is mandatory, at least not over here... it only affects for for flying out of state and visiting military installations. My argument is my birth certificate was provided to the DMV when I got my learner's permit, I understand that was so long ago but it's already been given to them just to get my license so I shouldn't have to do it all over again.
To clarify what's being said here, getting a Real ID-certified license isn't mandatory for everyone. But having one will be necessary to fly domestically in a few years (they pushed the start back like 2.5 years just recently) without a passport.

Back