Fumoto Valve, near disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Why do you guys use these things, or the drain plug, instead of vacuuming the oil through the dip stick hole?

Real cars don't have dipsticks. :lol:

I've used Fumoto valves on three vehicles with no incident. Usually on this site it's people who have no knowledge or experience with them pontificating that they're a Rube Goldberg device or someone is stupid and/or lazy for using them. Bitog at its best.

The reality is you have to understand potential dangers and react accordingly. In all the vehicles where I've used Fumotos the plug was protected either by a cowl or belly pan that had it at least 3-4" above the pan. Basically, if something got up there it would take the pan with it so it's usually less a Fumoto issue than it is a protection issue. If I was regularly going over brush or something that could potentially snag the protection clip or lever and the plug hung down with no protection I wouldn't be using one. That being said, I find the Fumotos to be very stout devices.

I started using Fumotos because the Mazda3 that I owned had a difficult rear-facing plug that made changing oil safer ( a couple issues there ) and faster. Believe it or not, there are reasons that people use them beyond laziness and stupidity.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The only problem I have with a drain plug is I always forget to bring a paper towel, so I have to walk back into the house with an oily hand. Oh well. Really it's walk through the garage.
I use a deep socket and let the drain bolt drop into the pan. Then fish it out with a magnet.

Why do you guys use these things, or the drain plug, instead of vacuuming the oil through the dip stick hole?

If you're oil filter is accessible from under the car, you might as well drain from the oil drain plug area since you're already there.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: JTK
On the vehicles I installed Fumotos on, the drain plug was high up, out of the way and covered by an engine belly pan. I always ordered them with the hose barb attached and I installed a rubber/plastic cap over the barb for added protection.

Sounds like more work than just the factory drain bolt. I really don't see the appeal of these at all.

In a shop environment, the valve drains the oil slower, BUT... since you're not unscrewing and threading in the bolt repeatedly, you eliminate the chance of cross-threading the drain plug bolt, which leads to a more expensive repair that the shop would weasel its way out of.

With the nipple, I just drain directly into a oil container, instead of the mess of using a oil drain pan, especially the last drops that can spray around if there is a breeze under the car, not to mention needing to clean the oil drain pan also.

Last edited:
Just a industrial valve imperfectly co-opted for automotive use.

Just the word FUMOTO makes me nauseous.

How bout NIBCO or WATTS

.. oh, that's right WATTS management sold us down the drain!

Now a word about Safety wire ...

It might be more accurate to say that it's just a ball valve that's imperfectly co-opted by the application and user than the product itself...whatever it's called.

I love them. Never had a problem.

Also, it has nothing to do with laziness. In a world where convenience is always sought after, this is one of them. Furthermore, if the lever is pointing up, the chances of failure is close to zilch AND drain plugs can fail too. Puncturing the oil pan can happen when going over big rocks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
A lazy mans accident waiting to happen. There will never be one of these on any of my cars.

Agreed.

I worked on pipeline for years having said that I'll tell you something. All valves leak its just a matter of degree!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I've used Fumoto valves on three vehicles with no incident. Usually on this site it's people who have no knowledge or experience with them pontificating that they're a Rube Goldberg device or someone is stupid and/or lazy for using them. Bitog at its best.

The reality is you have to understand potential dangers and react accordingly. In all the vehicles where I've used Fumotos the plug was protected either by a cowl or belly pan that had it at least 3-4" above the pan. Basically, if something got up there it would take the pan with it so it's usually less a Fumoto issue than it is a protection issue. If I was regularly going over brush or something that could potentially snag the protection clip or lever and the plug hung down with no protection I wouldn't be using one. That being said, I find the Fumotos to be very stout devices.

I started using Fumotos because the Mazda3 that I owned had a difficult rear-facing plug that made changing oil safer ( a couple issues there ) and faster. Believe it or not, there are reasons that people use them beyond laziness and stupidity.

Yep-you are 100% correct. What about that truck thread the other day and the poster asking about towing car trailer a truck? And 90% of the posters didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about.

If you spend time on other car forums-people that have these valves absolutely love them.

Gotta love the "herd mentality" on this site.

Last edited:
Lets me drain my oil without having to remove the skid plate, which is a big pain.

But haters gotta hate!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vacuum pump = $$ and extra time (I'm guessing, never used one). Drain plug comes with the car and I already have a wrench. All of my oil filters are located under the car, near the drain plug. If I had reasons to do it otherwise, I would use a vacuum pump.

Originally Posted By: MountainTortoise
Lets me drain my oil without having to remove the skid plate, which is a big pain in the d!(k!

That's exactly where they would be a valuable item. Like I said in my previous post, mine didn't add anything of value to my oil change other than the novelty (and more time draining). If a situation ever arises like your's, I'll most definitely use one. I think they're a well-built product that does what they're supposed to do if used in the right application. I think the OP just had bad luck.

Good job on catching it. Is it possible to replace the plastic clip with something more robust like wire?
It seems that the plastic clip was the problem. I'd keep it on and just twist on some wire, then monitor it accordingly.
If the design allows for it.

I would have put one on my 2007 Silverado W/T 4x4 as the front axle was under the drain plug on a 4.3L sixer. Also add a bit of tygon tubing to get the oil to a nice remote location. Otherwise Ive never seen a need for one in MY driveway.

Again It should be fine with some safety wire and some common sense.

!VORSICHT! No Field bombing allowed

No NYLON zip tie pseudo-safety wire...though certain Nylon SHOULD be O.K. at 300degF)

Last edited:
I use a vacuum oil sucker gizmo. Don't have to crawl under the car, don't have to worry about the drain plug stripping.

I have a buddy who loves Fumoto valves and constantly bugs me about trying one...the OP here is a perfect example of why I won't do it.

My drain plug is easy to get to and not especially well protected, so I'm fine with using it in good weather. I have a vacuum extractor for cold days, suppose it might come in handy if it rained for several days when I wanted to do a change, too. I like the idea of pulling the plug to get as much crud as possible out of there, not that I've seen any crud coming out of my car...yet. The vacuum extraction also takes a little while, but no big diff to me as I let my car drip for quite a while after I pull the plug.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
Those things have always been nothing but a lazy man's solution looking for a problem.

Utter nonsense. They have been on our industrial equipment for decades. I truly think they were never intended for automotive applications, just being sold that way.

I removed them from our fleet trucks because of the slow drain, we got some sludgy build up there. But they are an excellent product for many uses.

Originally Posted By: MountainTortoise
Lets me drain my oil without having to remove the skid plate, which is a big pain in the d!(k!

But haters gotta hate!

No! Thats a legit reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back