Fumoto is IN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed a F-106 Fumoto valve in my neighbor's 2010 Accord.
I bought it back in November after dealing with stripped pan threads.
Fools at the local, cheap oil change place did that foul deed.

Fortunately there was enough threading left for the Fumoto to catch.
While the pan dripped I applied Permatex oil resistant sealer to both sides of the paper gasket provided.
I hit the opening with brake cleaner and ran it in.
Very pleased with how much bite I got.
The threading landed the valve in the perfect attitude. The lever is straight up and the opposite side is parallel to the pan's bottom.
Frame elements completely shield the pan as well as the valve.

5,000 miles of anticipation until their next oil change to see the Fumoto do its thing.
I read that removal of the oil fill cap helps the oil flow out better.

True excitement....but you know that already.

I've been thinking about all the suggestions in amateur oil change videos about leaving the oil fill open to help the oil drain, but it doesn't make sense if you know how the crank is vented. Also, who knows what might fall in there on a windy day for the 1/2 hour its open.

Just more "Old Husband's tales" from the 1940s still out there
smile.gif
And people don't think or ponder anymore they need a Video. Sad. Very sad.

Relating to Subaru and their giant oil bung:

I've read in forums Subaru wants the oil to drain fast to wash out the pan - but I don't think that really happens, by the time the oil level is 1/4" its not moving so fast as to scrub the bottom of the pan..

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is the small diameter of the Fumoto's passageway. I didn't measure it but I think it's around 1/4".

Come oil change day I intend to drive the car to fully heat the oil. No overnight drip down because the oil will cool.
I understand that air will flow into crankcase but I want to remove as much resistance-to-flow as I can.

I will time it. I've heard quicky oil change places won't do a change on a Fumotoed vehicle because they take more time to empty.

Anybody with a Fumoto fitted have any description?

I always removed oil cap and seemed to help with Fumoto drain speed. Main thing is having oil hot.

Like how it installed and solved a problem. I installed EZ Oil Valve on the Elantra and lever was pointing straight up. No leaks. Sweet.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've been thinking about all the suggestions in amateur oil change videos about leaving the oil fill open to help the oil drain, but it doesn't make sense if you know how the crank is vented. Also, who knows what might fall in there on a windy day for the 1/2 hour its open.

smile.gif

Go tell Nissan's engineers. Step 1 in their oil change procedure is place a catch pan under the drain plug. Step 2 is .... ready .... remove the oil filler cap.

As for stuff falling in, 1) cover it with a rag as that won't impede the venting action and 2) only leave it open for the 5 minutes it takes to drain. 30 minutes is silly for the single-digit ounces that will come out from minute 6 to minute 30.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

smile.gif

Go tell Nissan's engineers. Step 1 in their oil change procedure is place a catch pan under the drain plug. Step 2 is .... ready .... remove the oil filler cap.

As for stuff falling in, 1) cover it with a rag as that won't impede the venting action and 2) only leave it open for the 5 minutes it takes to drain. 30 minutes is silly for the single-digit ounces that will come out from minute 6 to minute 30.

I built and worked on plenty of engines over 45 years The crank case is wide open through either the VC breather or the PCV filtered air inlet. Opening the cap wont make a difference, IMO. I'm an American Engineer. Don't care what Nissan "owners manual writers" have to say about it. Somebody show me a one way reed valve in the PCV fresh air inlet, then I'll rethink it.

I do pull the DS out part way
smile.gif

I built and worked on plenty of engines over 45 years The crank case is wide open through either the VC breather or the PCV filtered air inlet. Opening the cap wont make a difference, IMO. I'm an American Engineer. Don't care what Nissan "owners manual writers" have to say about it. Somebody show me a one way reed valve in the PCV fresh air inlet, then I'll rethink it.

I do pull the DS out part way
smile.gif

Far from an engineer, and in theory I agree with you. But in practice... any car I've ever forgotten to open the oil fill or slightly pull dipstick... it does that "glug glug" and doesn't come out smoothly. open the cap or pull the stick and it pours smooth instantly.

My Frontier's QR25DE drains fast with the oil cap and dipstick in place. I've got 49k on the truck and only 1 oil change has been done by someone other than me and only because the dealer did it for free.

Personally I like to drain the pan with the oil cold. More oil in the pan and less filter mess.
Less burns...
And I open the fill cap. Unless I don't.
If I do, I just leave it sitting in the hole. Otherwise I might lose it...
All good.

Not sure if I like the fumoto drain valves...
Of course the feel of a Snap-On wrench in your hand ain't too shabby.
Please post how you like it after your 1st service.
Thanks in advance.

I like the fumoto drain valves. Have them installed in both my vehicles.

Oil is slower to drain, but less less and no stripped threads. No need to replace crush washers or chances of reuse of a crush washwr causing a drip or slight leak.

I remove the fill cap to have the oil drain faster.

hallstevenson said:
ARCOgraphite said:
Don't care what Nissan "owners manual writers" have to say about it.

I'm sure I can find the same instruction from a variety of different company's owners manuals.

If you're an engineer, do you write the operating manuals for products ? I'm guessing no..... Most companies have technical documentation groups that do this and the odd thing is, they don't just make **** up. They are given the information .... from engineers at the company. Then, multiple people or groups will review the manual, including .... engineers.

Like I said before, how about some ORIGINAL, LOGICAL thinking.

-Valve cover is OPEN to ATMOSPHERE through the PCV filtered air hose.

-Cam box is open to crankcase.
- The PCV filtered air inlet hose is not insubstantial in I.D.

I've left the cap off to remind me to PUT OIL BACK IN.

Then one windy day I had a Tree Seed fall in there and that was that.

I have installed Fumoto valves in two out of four in the family fleet.
The concerns of some oil remaining in the pan during and oil change
is small since I removed a valve when trading in a vehicle and only
a few ounces of oil was in the pan.
The one valve has been in two vehicles since '09.
So I would say durability is good.
The reason the two other vehicles have not had one installed is;
2010 Corolla and it would be sticking out and down too much for my liking.
Same reason one was not installed on an '05 Camry.
The other vehicle hasn't had its first oc yet but I have a valve ready.
But I haven't been under it yet too check it out.
I like the valves as long as the can be mounted out of harms way.

Last edited:

smile.gif

Relating to Subaru and their giant oil bung:

I've read in forums Subaru wants the oil to drain fast to wash out the pan - but I don't think that really happens, by the time the oil level is 1/4" its not moving so fast as to scrub the bottom of the pan..

Yeah, you can't trust those pesky squirrels with their acorns and an open engine oil fill cap.

What? Just crack the dipstick open.. Close the hood if needed.

When it's hot, do you drive with the door open too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back