Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you guys used this Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve, and what do you think about this product? I've been told it is a lot better than the Fram Sure Drain, I guess it does a good job of dispensing the majortiy of the old oil. I like the idea of changing your oil without getting messy, all you have to do open the spring activated lever, that's it. How reliable is the spring activated lever, like off-roading etc.? They also make one with a nipple, so you can install a hose to drain the oil into a milk jug, does this nipple stick out much to where it would hit anything? Any opinions and advise would greatly be appreciated. Thankyou!

I have them on all five vehicles, going on about two years now. Also two of them with the nipples. If you have the space I suggest the nipples, more flexibility in what you can do for taking samples, draining etc. They make a clip if you are concenred about off roading and the lever being moved by brush etc., but it takes a unique motion to move the lever and I doubt it could happen. Anyway, sold brass and heavy duty piece, work great, get all the oil IMO and I highly recommend. About twice the price of a Fram but I have no experience with the Frams so cannot address a diff in quality or ease of operation. Fram did not exist when I purchased the Fumotos. Not sure if I would buy a Fram though

How can it be possible that just as much oil will drain from the pan, when part of the available cross-sectional area of the bolt hole is occupied by the threads of the valve?

It just takes a few seconds longer to drain. If the nipple of the valve intrudes into the pan and creates a dam, then the small amount of oil on the bottom of the pan below the bottom of the valve passage won't drain.

Ken

nhp1, just in case you don't get enough here you can find 10 or so earlier threads by searching this forum for fumoto.

David

I measure the amount of oil I place into the engines after each change by ounces and in my 5 cases the amount of new oil is the same as it was before the valve and it registers the same on the disptick. Thus, it all drained out as before and I do not overfill by placing the same amount in as I did before the valves.

With these types of valves it might take a couple of minutes longer to get the first 90% of the oil out, but I bet if you're the type of person to let the oil drain for 30min or more, it'll still get the same amount of oil out as before, since once you get past the first few minutes of draining it's typically coming out in slower drips anyways.

[ February 09, 2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I love mine. I have it on my sister's Tracer and it makes oil changes in that car so much easier! It saves me a lot of time and work.

i used mine this week for the first time. let it drain for about .5 hour or so while watching the simpsons. went back outside and there was absolutely nothing dripping or draining.

much cleaner, too.

That's where it could be interesting. Wait like you did and then pull the valve to see what its raised exit point is holding inside. Many pans are bulged around the hole so it shouldn't be much, but 1/4oz could keep some of us up at night.
smile.gif

Edit: That was for tweeker.

[ February 09, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
How can it be possible that just as much oil will drain from the pan, when part of the available cross-sectional area of the bolt hole is occupied by the threads of the valve?

It's possible because the height of the threads matches the height of the nut that it screws into. I've read where someone let it drain and then removed the valve completely and nothing else came out, proving this. I'm not that worried about a bit of residual oil since it all get's blended into the fresh and if you change it frequently enough, shouldn't ever have a problem. Remember when manufacturers used to recommend a filter change every other oil change? That left 1/2 quart of used oil in for double the change interval. It just isn't worth worrying about a few drops in my opinion.

It's funny, and I'm guilty of it too, but we all worry about getting every last drop of oil out of there, but at the same time a lot of us know that the oil we are draining out is still in perfect shape and the analysis would prove it could still go thousands of miles more in many cases. So those tiny few ounces in there honestly aren't hurting any of our engines. But yet I still try to get every last drop of old oil out that I can. I guess I find it most important when switching oils, so that I don't have too much of the old oil in there to have any additive clashing with the new oil.

This is another case-by-case question. No way to know unless you test or someone with the same engine tests for you. There are many different pan shapes, and different thread solutions.

Edit: Dangit! Would people stop posting between posts and my replies?!!!!
grin.gif

[ February 09, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: OneQuartLow ]

Well then, I respectfully request that someone or two who have these valves test this next time. Please report how much more oil you get once you remove the valve after it has stopped dripping. I would very much like to know if I could live with the excess, knowing that I didn't drain all that was possible, short of turning the vehicle on its side and shaking.

Thanks in advance.

To assist evacuating old oil out of the pan, I pour a quart of clean oil into the oil filler. This is done after the Fumoto has quit driping. Adds alittle to the cost of a change ( use cheap oil) but it can't hurt.

I have them on 3 vehicles (2 Explorers, 1 Toyota Camry) and haven't had any problem at all. The valves on the ford's are bigger so drain faster than the Toyota valve, but both drain as much as the standard plug.

Whether or not you have the clearance depends, since you need about 1/2" to add the plug. Look under your vehicle to see where the plug is with respect to the frame. On the Ford's it wasn't any problem, on the Toyota, it doesn't stick below the frame, however it is a bit exposed if I were to go over a rough terrain that required more than ordinary clearance.

quote:

Originally posted by pepper32:
To assist evacuating old oil out of the pan, I pour a quart of clean oil into the oil filler. This is done after the Fumoto has quit driping. Adds alittle to the cost of a change ( use cheap oil) but it can't hurt.

That's an excellent idea! It's something I have done in the past (even before getting the drain valve) and it has to help remove a little bit of old oil that may be trapped in the pan. I usually just use 1/2 quart though, if I'm using expensive oil. I don't like to use a different oil compared to what I'm about to put in, so I don't want to use cheap oil for this process.

[ February 10, 2003, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I've known guys who put in 3 of 5 quarts new oil, started it up for a few seconds, and then drained again. I always thought analysis was needed (of the psycho variety) but I suppose they did start with a truly fresh batch that way. Can't imagine flushing 3 fresh quarts of good oil like that though unless it was for some kind of lab procedure.

It's funny you should say that, as I was thinking of doing something similar with my sisters' and mom's car before changing them to new brands of oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back