Full synthetic vs semi-synthetic oil

Do you guys use full synthetic or semi synthetic for your OPE? All the brands like ariens and toro suggest semi synthetic. Also what brand seems to do the best?

Do you guys use full synthetic or semi synthetic for your OPE? All the brands like ariens and toro suggest semi synthetic. Also what brand seems to do the best?
OPE must be a lawn mower?
It's been a very long time since I have cut grass. I used to use a 30 wt. non detergent oil in my mowers.

I use full synthetic oil 4 4cyl oils, usually not car engine oil, but something with more of the good stuff. I don't use non-detergent oil.

Redline HP and RoyalPurple HPS are my go to oils:

Occasionally I find BS full synthetic or the Honda HP4S Pro synthetic oil locally when the above aren't available.

I often use a mix of whatever leftover quarts I have laying around. I think my last mower oil change was in my rider that takes 2 quarts and it was a mix of the Mobil 1 10w30 I bought for the push mower and Pennzoil conventional 10w30 I keep around for use in my tractor.

Which would most likely be contrary to the owner’s manual requirements.
As I stated, it has been AWHILE since I cut grass. I was just voicing MY OPINION on what I had used.
I was going to type that someone would come along with more up to date knowledge to help, but I had other things on my mind. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

I prefer a synthetic, but in reality my lawnmower and stuff gets what I have on hand that may be leftover from vehicle use or about to reach its shelf life. I mean I run this in my pushmower for goodness sakes. lol

20200514-190351.jpg

synthetic for sure as cost is minimal over a semi-syn that uses minimal synthetic in the blend + prolly fake group III synthetic as well. many small engines have NO filters + very small capacity so a real synthetic is worthwhile as i dump the oil at end of mowing or blowing season

Using T5 10w30 mainly because I got a good deal on a gallon jug ($8) a few years ago and figured it would last me 7 years doing annual changes in my mower. However I do like the idea of using an HD oil in an engine that doesn't have a oil filter and relies on the air filter.

Currently using Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 in generator, power washer and snowblower. I am using 5W30 Super Tech Full Synthetic HM in my LT150 and will be switching my JS36 mower in the spring.

Just my $0.02

Air cooled OPE can get pretty hot, which is why I would recommend a
10W-30 synthetic or even a 15W-40 synthetic.
Synthetics take the heat better.

My 2¢
Agreed. I use 10W-40 synthetic in my air cooled John Deere. Synthetics are a great choice for air cooled engines.

Back