Full Synthetic Oil made from Natural Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I have bought a bunch of oil where it mentions made from NGas.
Does this make it more pure. Are they condensing the gas and finding oil in what comes out of a well.
Seeing it is a full synthetic, I guess not, it must be transformed in some way.

Years ago I heard they can turn NGas into gasoline too.

"Finished motor oil. Primarily isoparaffinic in nature and up to 99.5% free of sulfur and nitrogen impurities, Shell's GTL base oils have beneficial properties such as high viscosity indices, good oxidation stability, low volatility and good cold flow properties. The base oils are then blended with high-performing additives, such as active cleansers, to produce finished motor oils." is the best way to explain it.
Its almost as good as Group4 PAO base oil. Nice stuff.
----- For more very boring details about what it is: http://gasprocessingnews.com/featur...es-clean-base-oils-from-natural-gas.aspx

Originally Posted by paoester
"Finished motor oil. Primarily isoparaffinic in nature and up to 99.5% free of sulfur and nitrogen impurities, Shell's GTL base oils have beneficial properties such as high viscosity indices, good oxidation stability, low volatility and good cold flow properties. The base oils are then blended with high-performing additives, such as active cleansers, to produce finished motor oils." is the best way to explain it.
Its almost as good as Group4 PAO base oil. Nice stuff.
----- For more very boring details about what it is: http://gasprocessingnews.com/featur...es-clean-base-oils-from-natural-gas.aspx

Nice, this was also mentioned in diesel engine testing,
" Similar to motor oil formulations, significant improvement in piston cleanliness was observed."

Which Is what I have also read, the engine internals stay significantly cleaner with a GTL (gas to liquid) oil.

Last edited:
Being a SOPUS company - would it be safe to assume QSUD also makes use of GTL base stocks deriving from Natural Gas ?

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Being a SOPUS company - would it be safe to assume QSUD also makes use of GTL base stocks deriving from Natural Gas ?

Only if it is marked on the bottle like Pennzoil is. They won't let that slip by, as its a plus for the consumer demand.

picture

NGas oil.PNG

I'm not sure why they would have to put it on the bottle, it's still Group III basestock although it will have a different C.A.S. number on the SDS.

Originally Posted by sdowney717
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Only if it is marked on the bottle like Pennzoil is. They won't let that slip by, as its a plus for the consumer demand.

They technically can (interchange base oils) but do/would they, dunno?? Call SOPUS and ask them. Could be changing the website info/PDS/TDS/SDS and printing up new labels with new artwork may not be worth the trouble and serve more to confuse loyal QS customers who aren't accustomed to seeing some fancy shmancy "GTL" on their trusted "dino" lube....

Last edited:
picture

Wait, you got PP Euro LX 0w-30 for $2/qt???

Didn't SOPUS make some conventional oils in a few weights using a GTL base oil? Because the NOACK in a few of the older PQIA test showed typical GTL numbers?
It's probably not the case today.

The larger question is what percentage of the whole is GTL in the bottle, is it something akin to semi-synthetics of yesteryear?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Didn't SOPUS make some conventional oils in a few weights using a GTL base oil? Because the NOACK in a few of the older PQIA test showed typical GTL numbers?
It's probably not the case today.

You are correct....

Originally Posted by RamFan
picture

Wait, you got PP Euro LX 0w-30 for $2/qt???

Yes, AZ clearance and 10$ for the 5L bottles.
This is what I picked up.

20191126_104533.jpg

Originally Posted by sloinker
The larger question is what percentage of the whole is GTL in the bottle, is it something akin to semi-synthetics of yesteryear?

It would have to be the whole amount, or it would be deceptive advertising, IMO.

it says Ngas is the origin not crude. One nice benefit, it keeps engine internals cleaner.

Features & Benefits
Pennzoil Platinum® Euro LX 0W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil is made from natural gas, not crude. It is made with our PurePlus® Technology is a full synthetic motor oil that is formulated for most Mercedes-Benz, BMW, VW, Audi & Porsche Vehicles*. PurePlus® Technology converts pure natural gas into a base oil with lower friction, better low temperature properties and greater stability than conventional motor oil made from crude. Pennzoil Platinum® Euro Full Synthetic motor oil is formulated for most European vehicles. Can be used in both passenger car gasoline and light duty diesel applications. *Consult and follow your owner's manual. 1) Superior piston cleanliness up to 45% cleaner than the requirements of ACEA C2/C3 based on DV4TD vs. ACEA C2/C3 using SAE 0W-30. 2) 3% greater fuel economy in the VW PV1451 test. 3) Up to 4X better than API SN specification based on Sequence IVA vs. API SN using SAE 0W-30

Pennzoil is the first motor oil made from natural gas, not crude
Cleaner pistons1
Better fuel economy2
Protects horsepower
Unsurpassed wear protection3
Excellent performance in extreme temperatures

Last edited:
It would have to be the whole amount, or it would be deceptive advertising, IMO.

Deceptive as in do you mean the remainder is typical Group III or Group II or I? Or do you just mean what's written on the label?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Deceptive as in do you mean the remainder is typical Group III or Group II or I? Or do you just mean what's written on the label?

This is entirely made from Natural Gas not crude oil. There is no crude oil in this at all. I found a description of this oil and updated my prior post.

Originally Posted by cb450sc
So is it a good oil that will last 8 to 10,000 miles?

Depends on your drive cycle, vehicle type, in warranty, out of warranty, etc.

Need more details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back