Full Synthetic 2 Stroke oil Corrosion Resistance

This is somewhat dated, so keep it mind. Several years ago I recall reading about internal engine corrosion in two stroke engines that used full synthetic oil compared to mineral oil. I don't remember the type of synthetic or if it was brand specific, but the synthetic at the time did not have the anti-corrosion properties of mineral oil. I am planning to switch over to full synthetic (Poulan Pro is on my short list ) . I would think the corrosion issue would be resolved by now , but wondering if any one knows the latest on this.

I have been using the synthetic 2 stroke oil for 10 years now and have not had this problem. The only reason I can imagine for this is that the synthetic oil burns more completely with less smoke and its not leaving the same unburnt oil film on everything or people are reducing the mix from the old 32:1 or 40:1 to 50:1.

Well....been playing with mine plastic-fantastic Partner 351 (Poulan 2150 is its clone) 3days ago....I am a little generous regarding oil....I mostly mix between 32:1 to 40:1....

....and because my 2T OPE is seldom used.....I always choose high end 2t synthetic oil...last time when chainsaw was runing before my tear down it was running on Motul 800 @32:1...

I have to say that oil residue on internal parts was plentifull....there was for a, small tea spoon of oil on the bottom of the crankcase...

So from now on I will be mixing @50:1....40:1 MAX when limbing...

This is somewhat dated, so keep it mind. Several years ago I recall reading about internal engine corrosion in two stroke engines that used full synthetic oil compared to mineral oil. I don't remember the type of synthetic or if it was brand specific, but the synthetic at the time did not have the anti-corrosion properties of mineral oil. I am planning to switch over to full synthetic (Poulan Pro is on my short list ) . I would think the corrosion issue would be resolved by now , but wondering if any one knows the latest on this.
I think the issue is the hygroscopic nature of a certain type of synthetic. I think it was mentioned Redline suffered from this.
I could be completely out to lunch on this, a quick google search isn't finding anything.

I know that fuel injected 2strokes (like Aprilia DiTech) can have problems with certain oils....because compressor traps moisture from the air and mix it with two stroke oil (dont know problem into details).

So DiTech users are adviced to use certain 2stroke oils wich emulsifies less...

Back