Full synthetic 10W40 - correct oil for Honda CRV 2009?

Hello,
I have 2009 CRV, 90k, running trouble free. I bought it 5 years ago and was recommended by mechanic to use 10W40. So I use Full synthetic from Penrite, changing oil and filter every 10k and would like to ask for opinion /advice whether it is right oil for this engine (2.4) and climate (Sydney).

I spent hours reading different opinions but cant really find the answer.

User manual is showing chart with the scale from 0W-30 to 15W-40 so I am really confused. There is no information on oil cap.

User manual is showing chart with the scale from 0W-30 to 15W-40 so I am really confused. There is no information on oil cap.
There's no corresponding temperature scale with those grade recommendations in the owner's manual?

Hours you say?

The oil cap isn’t the gospel for oil recommendation, the owner’s manual is. The oil cap is only a guideline. Use oils that the owner’s manual allows per the outside temperatures that you will experience during your oil changes.

This is he chart from my manual.
For temperatures I experience between 0 degrees C to 35 it is showing to use oil from 0w30 - 15w30.
All I am asking is an opinion as I am not mechanic. No need to be sarcastic. Different websites are giving different advice, if Honda would give clear recommendation I would obviously use it.

Attachments

• 20220222_225711.jpg
    20220222_225711.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 221
For temperatures I experience between 0 degrees C to 35 it is showing to use oil from 0w30 - 15w30.
All I am asking is an opinion as I am not mechanic. No need to be sarcastic. Different websites are giving different advice, if Honda would give clear recommendation I would obviously use it.
That's pretty clear, use either a 30 or a 40-grade and pick a winter rating that is suitable for your expected starting temperature.

Random websites are not as key as what the manufacturer recommends.

Thank you guys.
Would you rate 10W40 as "too heavy" for this type of engine. And climate.

Hello,
I have 2009 CRV, 90k, running trouble free. I bought it 5 years ago and was recommended by mechanic to use 10W40. So I use Full synthetic from Penrite, changing oil and filter every 10k and would like to ask for opinion /advice whether it is right oil for this engine (2.4) and climate (Sydney).

10w40 is a good grade for your vehicle and climate. I would stay with that oil, or any other 0W40/5W40 oil. Reason being is that K24 engine in your CR-V is known to have camshaft and timing chain issues at higher mileages, when 0W20 (USA) or some 5W30 oils are used. That issue is seems to happen a lot less, or not happen at all to vehicles where 0W40/5W40/10W40/15W40 oils are used, if climate allows. Your climate certainly does. Just make sure any of the oils you use are at least API SL rated, per owner's manual.

P.S. Interesting how US owner's manual for the same vehicle recommends 5W20 only "for optimum fuel economy and cold weather performance", and US owners experience the most "wiped" camshafts or chain guide issues in these K24 engines, and it's smaller K20 sibling. Make your own conclusions.

10w-40 looks to fit your application. Use it without hesitation. I actually run 10w-40 in my 09 civic in the summer with no issues.

Thank you guys.
Would you rate 10W40 as "too heavy" for this type of engine. And climate.
No, you can use any viscosity listed on the chart since you're not expecting temperatures below -10*C (5*F), including 10w-40 and 15w-40

To paint very broad strokes, the heavier the viscosity, the better the film strength of the oil will be, but the thinner the viscosity, the better the fuel economy will be. Also, the closer the numbers are for the Winter viscosities and Summer viscosities, the less viscosity index improvers (VII's) are used, which can lead to an oil that is more resistant to breaking down/shearing.

I would recommend either staying with 10w-40 or even going to 10w-30 would be fine

obviously better than any garbage american 10w40 (excluding M1 HM). will serve you well

There are a few variables that you need to figure out.
1. Most of the people you ask here, they don't know about Sydney weather.
2. What you use has been working and the car runs great, why change.

Stop over thinking and second guessing yourself.
:)

Hi Mate,

lots of good oils for your 2009 Honda CRV in Australia. You need API SL, but more than likely it will be the more modern API SN or SN-Plus or SP.

Full synthetic as 5W30 or 5W40
eg. Castrol Edge 5W30 or 5W40, Castrol Magnatec 5W30, Shell Helix HX8 5W30, Valvoline SynPower 5W30, Penrite 5W30 full synthetic, Nulon 5W30 full synthetic, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Penrite HPR5 5W40.

Semi-Synthetic as 10W30 or 10W40
e.g. Castrol GTX UltraClean 10W30 (or 15W40), Castrol Magnatec 10W40 or 10W30, Shell Helix HX7 10W40, Valvoline DuraBlend or EngineArmour 10W40 or 10W30, Penrite (Vantage) 10W40 semi-synthetic

Full Synthetic 10W40 e.g Nulon fast-flow 10W40 full syn, Penrite 10W40 full synthetic

I've used most of those listed above. Often some of the best oils deals in Australia are for 10W40 semi-synthetics that's API SN and Euro A3/B4, they are everywhere, and all the majors do them. Between Repco & SuperCheap Auto & AutoBarn, every second week one is having a sale. BTW in Sydney, you could even run 15W40 year round without issue, and your car will be fine with that too. Anything from 5W30 to 15W40 will do you and be easy to find.

Buy on price

Last edited:
OP, I know it's a bit confusing with all the options, but your Honda isn't fussy on oil, so many are suitable.

AutoBarn is having a sale right now, these two catch my eye.

Penrite HPR-5 5W40 full synthetic,
API SP, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5,
It's $48 for 5L (save $22)

Castrol Magnatec SUV 5W30 full synthetic,
API SN/CF, ACEA C3, Dexos2, MB 229.51
$59 for the big 10 L jug, (save $50)

Without going into all the details of Euro C3 versus Euro A3 (ACEA) etc., they are both full synthetic oils as either 5W30 or 5W40 (both viscosities listed in your owners manual) and both are the more modern API SN or API SP rated oils, better than the older API SL standard listed in your owners manual.

Both top shelf and on sale now, take your pick.

BTW your 2.4L engine takes about 4.2L of oil, so that big 10L jug of Magnatec 5W30 will do you for two oil changes, and will store fine.

Last edited:
Hello,

There is no answer because any SAE 30 or SAE 40 multigrade oil will work in this engine. It is a Honda. It is not picky.

Back