Full synthetic 10W40 - correct oil for Honda CRV 2009?

Hello,
I have 2009 CRV, 90k, running trouble free. I bought it 5 years ago and was recommended by mechanic to use 10W40. So I use Full synthetic from Penrite, changing oil and filter every 10k and would like to ask for opinion /advice whether it is right oil for this engine (2.4) and climate (Sydney).

I spent hours reading different opinions but cant really find the answer.

User manual is showing chart with the scale from 0W-30 to 15W-40 so I am really confused. There is no information on oil cap.
Do you have a goal in mind if you change the oil grade? Is there a current concern other than forum chatter stirring the pot?
Is the vehicle a stick shift?
Are you looking for better fuel mileage or responsiveness?
Or is overall durability the ultimate goal?

if more litre/km gazoline go a bit lighter say 10W30, If HD usage and hauling stick with a heavier grade.
Pretty simple.

- Ken

Last edited:
Hi Mate,

lots of good oils for your 2009 Honda CRV in Australia. You need API SL, but more than likely it will be the more modern API SN or SN-Plus or SP.

Full synthetic as 5W30 or 5W40
eg. Castrol Edge 5W30 or 5W40, Castrol Magnatec 5W30, Shell Helix HX8 5W30, Valvoline SynPower 5W30, Penrite 5W30 full synthetic, Nulon 5W30 full synthetic, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Penrite HPR5 5W40.

Semi-Synthetic as 10W30 or 10W40
e.g. Castrol GTX UltraClean 10W30 (or 15W40), Castrol Magnatec 10W40 or 10W30, Shell Helix HX7 10W40, Valvoline DuraBlend or EngineArmour 10W40 or 10W30, Penrite (Vantage) 10W40 semi-synthetic

Full Synthetic 10W40 e.g Nulon fast-flow 10W40 full syn, Penrite 10W40 full synthetic

I've used most of those listed above. Often some of the best oils deals in Australia are for 10W40 semi-synthetics that's API SN and Euro A3/B4, they are everywhere, and all the majors do them. Between Repco & SuperCheap Auto & AutoBarn, every second week one is having a sale. BTW in Sydney, you could even run 15W40 year round without issue, and your car will be fine with that too. Anything from 5W30 to 15W40 will do you and be easy to find.

Buy on price
Thanks a lot mate.
Yes, I always check these 3 stores for any deals and as you mentioned there is always a good deal.

Hello,
I have 2009 CRV, 90k, running trouble free. I bought it 5 years ago and was recommended by mechanic to use 10W40. So I use Full synthetic from Penrite, changing oil and filter every 10k and would like to ask for opinion /advice whether it is right oil for this engine (2.4) and climate (Sydney).

I spent hours reading different opinions but cant really find the answer.

User manual is showing chart with the scale from 0W-30 to 15W-40 so I am really confused. There is no information on oil cap.
Follow your manual for the anticipated temperature you are to encounter, not what your mechanic or any arm chair quarterbacks say.

Back