Full Syn or not

Just bought a beautiful 2017 Lightning Blue AWD Titanium Escape TURBO 2.0 . Ford says 5W20 syn blend . What do you guy's think of me using full syn with a qt. of MMO as one of the required qts ? I have a 05 Focus that I bought new and from 1st oil change I have used full syn with a qt of MMO and it does not use oil with 255,000 miles on it to this day. My main concern is the Turbo with full syn and MMO. Maybe I should use full syn but MMO is some great stuff.

My opinion, if it has worked for you in the past, go with your gut. Just a heads up, you are about to get spammed with MMO fans and bashers.

P.S. Welcome to BITOG!

Just bought a beautiful 2017 Lightning Blue AWD Titanium Escape TURBO 2.0 . Ford says 5W20 syn blend . What do you guy's think of me using full syn with a qt. of MMO as one of the required qts ? I have a 05 Focus that I bought new and from 1st oil change I have used full syn with a qt of MMO and it does not use oil with 255,000 miles on it to this day. My main concern is the Turbo with full syn and MMO. Maybe I should use full syn but MMO is some great stuff.
You have data to show MMO didn't do anything negative on your Focus. Without a control, you don't know if MMO did anything positive. Just oil and no MMO might have gotten you to the same place. If you believe in MMO, give it a go.

What makes it so great? I've never used it what am I missing?

I'm not sure where MMO is really necessary and wouldn't a whole quart of that in a 6qt sump potentially be a horrible thing to introduce to the seals, I'm pretty sure that MMO will expand seals especially when used in a high concentration.

I’d use the blend like recommended. Marvel Mystery Oil is great stuff but I would not use a quart of it I usually use about a pint or less.

You'll be totally fine running any off-the-shelf full synthetic or MCSB.

I would skip the MMO with your new vehicle until you have an actual problem that MMO could assist with, and even then if you start running into a consumption issue, I'd step up to a 5w-30 first before going to a mechanic-in-a-bottle.

It looks like it worked well for your Focus, but a GTDI motor may not appreciate it as much.

My 2017 Focus ST calls for 5W-30. Your 2.0T is surely working harder than mine pushing an Escape into the wind. I'd use 5W-30 or 5W-40 in your choice of full syns available at Walmart, and an upsized Motorcraft filter (FL400S).

You'll be totally fine running any off-the-shelf full synthetic or MCSB.

It looks like it worked well for your Focus, but a GTDI motor may not appreciate it as much.
That's a thing I didn't think about, how does putting a large quantity of MMO in the oil affect the probability of LSPI events?

For a 2017, why do you need to add anything other than the oil? I only use synthetic now because they are so cheap after rebate, but I won't mind using any oil that meet spec.

Back