Full size spare? Donut spare? Or tire inflator kit?

Got a 13 Kia Optima hybrid which has none of the above. I can get a used tire inflator kit for $40-$50 and call it a day. Now if it already had this, I wouldn't bother posting the question, but since I need to get something, I'm thinking maybe I could get one of the other two choices for not a whole lot more money. If I went the donut spare route I would also need a jack set. Maybe $75-$100 total. If I get a used full size matching aluminum wheel with tire, it could be over $150 total. I'll be selling the car, so what would you rather see in the trunk if you were buying it?

since you are selling it i would do none of the above. person buying can do what they want.

but since you need to pick one i'd say
inflator kits are trash.

maybe pick up a donut from junkyard cheap. let them figure out their own jack.. (or they have AAA to put it on)

many of those cars a full size spare doesnt fit in trunk.

Got a 13 Kia Optima hybrid which has none of the above. I can get a used tire inflator kit for $40-$50 and call it a day. Now if it already had this, I wouldn't bother posting the question, but since I need to get something, I'm thinking maybe I could get one of the other two choices for not a whole lot more money. If I went the donut spare route I would also need a jack set. Maybe $75-$100 total. If I get a used full size matching aluminum wheel with tire, it could be over $150 total. I'll be selling the car, so what would you rather see in the trunk if you were buying it?
I’d go with what came with the car which sounds like an inflator kit. If there is no space for a jack and a spare then no one in their right mind is going to throw a tire in the trunk of their sedan . I’m going to get flamed to hell for this, but, I carry a 12v inflator in all our cars and I can’t remember the last time I got a puncture so bad that I couldn’t get to a tire place to patch it up by using the inflator. You’d have to be nuts to want to change a wheel out on the side of the highway unless absolutely necessary.

My car came with an inflator and sealer bottle. For about $100 I picked up a suitable spare and a new tire.

if you’re selling the car do nothing. If my dealer can’t check spare pressure during PDI, I wouldn’t expect a buyer to.

If I were buying, I would like to see a spare and jack.
One less thing for me to have to buy when I bought the vehicle.
Not sure if the Hybrid has a space for the spare though, I know the regular one does (but still comes with no spare or jack).
You need something though IMO, whichever you choose to get.
I prefer full size spares, but it is getting harder to find vehicles that accept them (mainly trucks), but I will not own a vehicle that does not have the ability to carry at least a donut spare and jack.
I’d go with what came with the car which sounds like an inflator kit. If there is no space for a jack and a spare then no one in their right mind is going to throw a tire in the trunk of their sedan . I’m going to get flamed to hell for this, but, I carry a 12v inflator in all our cars and I can’t remember the last time I got a puncture so bad that I couldn’t get to a tire place to patch it up by using the inflator. You’d have to be nuts to want to change a wheel out on the side of the highway unless absolutely necessary.
So sitting on the side of the road waiting while the tire inflates is safer? What do you do when you are 50 miles from anywhere? Stope every 5 minutes? What about that one time you get a huge blowout.
First thing is to not change the tire on the highway. Pull off into a parking lot somewhere. I have told my wife and kids this, I don't care if you ruin the tire or rim, don't change a tire while on the roadway.
I have had 5 tire failures that required a spare in 35 years of driving, 4-5 more that maybe could have been fixed with fix a flat/inflator, but had a spare to use instead.

I ain't selling a car without a spare. Junkyards around here remove jacks before they hit the lot for liability reasons I guess. See some spare tire kits on Craigslist including the wheel, jack, tools and foam holder for $75-100, but 4 hour ride each way. Arrgh.

If I was looking at a car and it didn't have a spare, it wouldn't phase me one bit. That's pretty far down the list of things I check for in a used vehicle, I can't remember ever opening the trunk and looking for a spare. I'd go pick one up myself if that's what it takes. No used car is perfect-- if I bought a used car and the only problem it had was a missing spare, I'd be thrilled.

So in a nutshell, not sure why you're buying anything if you're just going to sell it.

So in a nutshell, not sure why you're buying anything if you're just going to sell it.

Not to sound snobbish, but people shopping a late model $12,000 car have different expectations than those shopping for a 28 year old $2,000 one. And I'm a Saturn fan too. I've already bought and programmed a missing second remote key and a missing owners manual set.

in
If I were buying, I would like to see a spare and jack.
One less thing for me to have to buy when I bought the vehicle.
Not sure if the Hybrid has a space for the spare though, I know the regular one does (but still comes with no spare or jack).
You need something though IMO, whichever you choose to get.
I prefer full size spares, but it is getting harder to find vehicles that accept them (mainly trucks), but I will not own a vehicle that does not have the ability to carry at least a donut spare and jack.

So sitting on the side of the road waiting while the tire inflates is safer? What do you do when you are 50 miles from anywhere? Stope every 5 minutes? What about that one time you get a huge blowout.
First thing is to not change the tire on the highway. Pull off into a parking lot somewhere. I have told my wife and kids this, I don't care if you ruin the tire or rim, don't change a tire while on the roadway.
I have had 5 tire failures that required a spare in 35 years of driving, 4-5 more that maybe could have been fixed with fix a flat/inflator, but had a spare to use instead.

I was suggesting the op include what came in the car which in the case of a lot of hybrids is an inflator and a sealant kit with no space for a spare. I googled the car and it turns out you can buy the oem spare and jack for $155 which is what I’d do. Also, yes sitting belted inside your car on the side of the road while the inflator gets the tire up to driveable pressure is safer than jacking a vehicle up on a scissor jack, breaking 5 jugs, removing a wheel, installing a donut, and getting the vehicle back down on the ground. Driving on a road way with a 80mph speed limit with a completely deflated tire is more dangerous and expensive.

No need for hyperbole a large portion of cars out there have a sealant and inflator kit and in large part everyone is fine. This isn’t the 70s most people have a phone with them and aren’t driving through extremely remote areas. Those that do have a spare.

The ideal option is a matching spare wheel and tire. That's what I have in my BMW. The second best option is a same size steel wheel with a full size tire. That's what I had in my Solara. Either one will get you home from anywhere. Way down the list is the donut spare. That's what I have in my Honda. And I've used all 3 to get home.

The tire inflator kit is not even on my list.

I doubt a full size spare would fit in the trunk. My 15’ Sonata didn’t have enough room.

I’d go with a donut.

I am happy my vehicles carry a donut spare and not an inflator kit from the factory. If you get a blowout that fix a flat kit most newer cars carry will not do you any good.

You could save the coin and just say as-is. You could let them have the equivalent cost by marking it down a couple hundo for the inconvenience. that said, we bought a used car without a jack once. I was disappointed and had to buy one afterward, so if you can find a good deal on something that would help. In my adult life, I’ve had one flat when my truck was hit, my daughter blew two left tires on road debris, my ex lost a tire when she was forced into the shoulder. One vehicle ran over multiple nails and I’m pretty sure the tire inflator got me home every time so I could install yet another patch, back when my commute took me through some weird place that attracted all of the county’s nails.... Its not frequent, but some kind of get-me-home equipment is good.

it’s probably just the bitoger in me, but one of the used volvos I purchased came with a full-size spare on matching oem alloy wheel and I Loved that. It made me smile every time I thought of it. I know, that’s a car nerd thing but it was so pleasant, and it also showed me how the previous owner cared for the car. That sucker is still in the family approaching 200k and runs like a swiss watch. I’d love to do that with my Lexus GS, but I’m not sure a full size (width) wheel will fit. It’s got conservative aftermarket wheels on it and I probably need to buy a 5th while they are in production anyway.

m

Found an ad on Craigslist that was selling all the parts

large.jpg

I would for sure at least want a donut tire,the few times i've had a flat it wasn't something I could fix with a wimpy inflator kit 😂

Back