Fuel tank coatings

I'm curious, kinda in the market, even if I don't ultimately buy the tank, I wonder which is better/difference.

Brand A (cheaper) Galvanized Steel, with silver powerdercoat

Brand B (more Expensive) Ni-Terne steel

I read painting tanks isn't such a great idea because of expansion, heat etc. Also, as we know the inside can rust too.

Whatever I do get, would be sprayed down with either oil or fluidfilm.

What's it going in? A rusty 10+ year old commuter car that needs to last 5 more years, or a restoration that you want to last a long time?

Originally Posted by ripcord
What's it going in? A rusty 10+ year old commuter car that needs to last 5 more years, or a restoration that you want to last a long time?

A rusty POS. Maybe 5 years max life on it.

How long did the original one last? Aren't a lot of them plastic? Did it rust from inside or outside?

What is the difference in price? How long does it need to last?

Originally Posted by Donald
How long did the original one last? Aren't a lot of them plastic? Did it rust from inside or outside?

What is the difference in price? How long does it need to last?

original is some coated metal. Lasted 25 years or so :lol:.
Newer explorers have a plastic tank.
I'm thinking not more than 5 year life.

I read painting tanks isn't such a great idea because of expansion, heat etc.

I'm sorry, but if this were true you couldn't keep paint on the outside of a car, or a propane tank. There are also rubberized coatings in spray cans that would work just fine.

Ni-Terne if the cost difference is small. From reading up on it it's a lead-tin alloy that might hold up somewhat better to E5-E10 gas.

While you can powdercoat or apply oil/wax based rustproofing to the outside of a metal fuel tank with success I would imagine using a liquid sealer might be hit or miss. Kreen and I think an Eastwood product are the common ones, POR-15 makes an internal coating.

Originally Posted by Donald
Cost of the various tanks made of the different metals?

Junk yard one from Arizona.

Rockauto prices - 120 or 180. I'm leaning to the 120 one.
Plan on Nuking it with fluid film. I don't trust paint, you only need one nick to get the rust going.

JY one is probably impractical, it is a year specific tank, shipping it, etc. Probably be well over $100.

Originally Posted by nthach
Ni-Terne if the cost difference is small. From reading up on it it's a lead-tin alloy that might hold up somewhat better to E5-E10 gas.

While you can powdercoat or apply oil/wax based rustproofing to the outside of a metal fuel tank with success I would imagine using a liquid sealer might be hit or miss. Kreen and I think an Eastwood product are the common ones, POR-15 makes an internal coating.

Looks like about a $60 difference. I mean, if it were a pristine truck otherwise, I would consider it.
This is a keep/scrap decision :lol:
As you know it don't take much to breach paint. A good powder coat will cost more than the tank. Supposedly it is powdercoated.

Cheap tank and add Sta-Bil Marine/360 to the tank when you get gas and if the truck isn't driven much would be my choice. Though, Sta-Bil's claim of vapor corrosion inhibition might be more snake oil or a placebo...

Last edited:
5 years? Yeah get the cheaper one and put your choice of goop on it, unless you're constantly on salted winter roads, then the nickel plating on the $180 one will help.

I can say about ten years ago I replace my tank with a cheap Spectra. To this day there is no rust on it. Junk yard tanks are good only if you can get one from the south. I never paint or treat a tank with anything. The only thing I do when replacing a tank is to smear grease on the tank where the straps go and the straps themselves, nothing else..

Originally Posted by Dave9
5 years? Yeah get the cheaper one and put your choice of goop on it, unless you're constantly on salted winter roads, then the nickel plating on the $180 one will help.

I cant tell you how many times I have heard they only want to keep it for more than x years, 10 years later it is still running good and the cheap crap parts have long since failed.
Yes they mean it when they say it but time changes things, not speaking about the OP in particular.

Back