Fuel shortage

Thank you for the lecture. But last time I checked, farmers cannot sell unprocessed milk to anyone, so not sure where you got the extra milk from, unless COVID makes cows produce more milk. The logical conclusion IMO is that the processing capacity was reduced based on wrong predictions and then it wasn’t ramped back up.

About being cynical, I’m just pointing out another option. Your view is to believe corporate statements. It’s quite easy to say supply chain issues, COVID and let people like you fill in the gaps.
But when I look at the profits posted over the last 12 months, I have a hard time believing that all of these companies struggling with supply chains reacted so quickly and adjusted to make record high profits.

This downturn when compared to all others before it, simply defies logic, so yes I’m a bit cynical.

Instead of coming up with ridiculous branches of military like space force maybe a focus can shift to a new branch to deal with a real threat like foreign hacking.
Maybe you should pay closer attention.

US CyberCommand was created in 2010. Elevated to full combatant command in 2018.

The US Navy 10th fleet is a purely cyber warfare organization that is Maritime Component support to the cyber warfare effort under that combatant commander.

Law enforcement, prevention of crime, however, is outside the purview of the US military.

Last edited:
Instead of coming up with ridiculous branches of military like space force maybe a focus can shift to a new branch to deal with a real threat like foreign hacking.
I can tell you huge money is spent on cyber security. My previous company's biggest customer was the US Army.
Incredible servers, hosted and on prem all over the world. Constant updates; constant monitoring.

Thank you for the lecture. But last time I checked, farmers cannot sell unprocessed milk to anyone, so not sure where you got the extra milk from, unless COVID makes cows produce more milk. The logical conclusion IMO is that the processing capacity was reduced based on wrong predictions and then it wasn’t ramped back up.

About being cynical, I’m just pointing out another option. Your view is to believe corporate statements. It’s quite easy to say supply chain issues, COVID and let people like you fill in the gaps.
But when I look at the profits posted over the last 12 months, I have a hard time believing that all of these companies struggling with supply chains reacted so quickly and adjusted to make record high profits.

This downturn when compared to all others before it, simply defies logic, so yes I’m a bit cynical.
See Occam's Razor. Maybe all those sick people and plant closures affected production. You can see now what ripple effects there are just from chip shortages affect car production and sale of cars by rental fleets. It's not easy to ramp things up when some things are already designed to run 24/7, there's no excess capacity. Same as toilet paper. Your logical conclusion that it could be ramped up isn't really based on anything and is basically the flaw in your logic. Your hard time believing something doesn't translate to fact. That's the other flaw in your logic. These lectures may continue though. Do you think the rental car companies purposely sold off their cars so they could reap profits later or do you think maybe because they had to file for bankruptcy that they had to raise money any way possible?

I
I can tell you huge money is spent on cyber security. My previous company's biggest customer was the US Army.
Incredible servers, hosted and on prem all over the world. Constant updates; constant monitoring.
i understand the military themselves have it and knew a high ranking officer who recently retired from one of the branches.
Maybe you should pay closer attention.

US CyberCommand was created in 2010. Elevated to full combatant command in 2018.

The US Navy 10th fleet is a purely cyber warfare organization that is Maritime Component support to the cyber warfare effort under that combatant commander.

Law enforcement, prevention of crime, however, is outside the purview of the US military.

How did they do with the colonial pipeline?

I

i understand the military themselves have it and knew a high ranking officer who recently retired from one of the branches.

Admit it: Your post was a thinly veiled political swipe that was based on ignorance of all the effort that has taken place over the past decade.

You’re still missing the key point: law enforcement belongs to law enforcement. The military has strict Constitutional restrictions on what it can target.

Those restrictions complicate cyber actions.

You’re also ignoring the role the corporation itself has in protecting its systems. The military, and law enforcement, can’t protect those who leave their back door unlocked.

This reminds me of when Homeland Security was formed and tried getting airlines onboard with security. The two outliers that refused to play ball the longest were American Airlines and United Airlines, the same two companies whose planes were hijacked on 9/11.

"They" don't do anything the private corporation doesn't allow them to do, which includes initial participation by the entity. If you don't participate then there is nothing that can be done.

Like I said before, Garmin.

That’s some specious internet garbage. Got a source?

United and their partner security company, Argenbright, led the industry - but the FAA insisted that box cutters and small knives were OK - and in so doing, forced Argenbright to allow them when we didn’t think that was smart. The 9/11 terrorists exploited that government imposed weakness.

Nothing could be further from the truth about United and the creation of TSA. We wanted a level playing field. We paid more for security than any other airline, so TSA, while burdensome, forced other airlines up to our standards

United has a long history of pushing for all sorts of security improvements. United was among the first airlines, in the 1970s, to push for metal detectors

The new, level, playing field wasn’t as good as we had hoped, so perhaps you heard of some pushback from United against the new, inadequate, standards of TSA. Not the same as being anti security.

The new TSA, in 2002, denied the installation of Tasers, for example, after United bought 1,500 and trained all their pilots at great expense.

Last edited:
That’s some specious internet garbage. Got a source?

United and their partner security company, Argenbright, led the industry - but the FAA insisted that box cutters and small knives were OK - and in so doing, forced Argenbright to allow them when we didn’t think that was smart.

Nothing could be further from the truth about United and the creation of TSA.

United has a long history of pushing for all sorts of security improvements. United was among the first airlines, in the 1970s, to push for metal detectors

The new TSA, in 2002, denied the installation of Tasers, for example, after United bought 1,500 and trained all their pilots at great expense.

Can't link a source. That's from when I worked intel with the TSA. Of course I can't go into details, but UA and AA were always the most annoying to deal with. I'd be on the phone for an hour or more with them at times. Southwest, Delta, etc... smooth sailing.

Can't link a source. That's from when I worked intel with the TSA. Of course I can't go into details, but UA and AA were always the most annoying to deal with. I'd be on the phone for an hour or more with them at times. Southwest, Delta, etc... smooth sailing.
So, your source is the TSA itself?

That shining example of government service and efficiency?

The agency most loved by the people that experience their tender attention to detail and reasonable enforcement of standards?

The model of employee performance and forward-thinking?

Sure, that makes sense, then...

Last edited:
So, your source is the TSA itself?

That shining example of government service and efficiency?

The agency most loved by the people that experience their tender attention to detail and reasonable enforcement of standards?

The model of employee performance and forward-thinking?

Sure, that makes sense, then...

I don't disagree. lol

Have to ask- is there open market and competition in the production, transport and sale of fuel?

Find it surprising one vendor is responsible for transport of the majority of fuel to over 30 percent of the American population, all in one geographic area. How easy it might be to cut off fuel to the east coast?

The cutoff last week was reported self induced be the vendor to prevent financial losses. What if there was a collapse or sabotage on the pipeline infrastructure? How easy it seems to shut down the east coast of the USA.

Maybe Pennsylvania should be drilling large quantities of oil again. Not just natural gas.

At first the fuel shortage was due to a lack of truck drivers. This has been made worse with the pipeline hack. The worst thing people can do is to start hoarding fuel. I went thru something similar in 2017 when AMLO ( the pres of mex) shut down fuel pipelines to stop theft, then realized PEMEX had 5% of the necessary trucks in operation to move fuel. Mexico city (population 22M) had severe shortages and people where limited to 10liters but it only lasted 3 or 4 weeks. Don't panic and if possible plan your trips to avoid unnecessay trips.Hopefully it wont last too long.
How do people hoard gas? A gas tank only holds so much gas, and gas can filling should be limited to one can...

Have to ask- is there open market and competition in the production, transport and sale of fuel?
It depends on what excuse the industry is going to use to raise prices. For this situation the one vendor excuse needs to be used to raise prices nationwide...much like the Valdez spill. Remember how they used that to jack up all prices?

Back