fuel savings 165/80/r14 175/70/r14

How is a 165/80/r14 1.5 % better for rr?
I derived a formula based on the only data I know about where the same make and model of tire was tested for RR. I report on it here:

Barry's Tire tech: Rolling Resistance and Fuel Economy 2

How would i concentrate on the make and model difference?

While there aren't any US standards for reporting RR, there are EU standards (but the EU standards are size specific so be careful!)

But there are other ways to gauge RR.

First, any OE tire is going to be pretty low for RR. Tires marked "LRR" are going to be better than ones with similar treadwear and traction ratings.

However, we are talking about 14" tires and their time has come and gone with regard to OE. So that leaves Aftermarket - and there the terminology is confusing. Tire Rack uses the tern "Ecofocus" and delineates those that have enhanced RR. You can be sure that if the make/model doesn't have that, it will not be good for fuel economy.

So let me state this as clearly as I can. Tire size is NOT what you should be focusing on. The differences due to size are small compared to the difference between make and model, so look at tires with "Ecofocus" or what ever phrase is used to describe enhanced RR.

I do not see any ecofocus on tire labels here in nicaragua. Here are the pics of champiro vp1
20210225_122016.jpg
20210225_122009.jpg
20210225_122024.jpg
20210225_122035.jpg
20210225_122106.jpg

Hifly hf201 have a very poor fuel efficiency rating in Europe. They don't sell the 165/80R14 here, and that could be because they are too inefficient. They do sell 165/70 and 165/60 and they have the lowest allowed efficiency rating.

The champiro VP1 has a marginally better fuel efficiency rating.

I had a look at what is on the market for 165/80 R14 tyres that has a better fuel efficiency rating and I come up with 2 tyres..

Falken Sincera SN832 ecorun
Barum Bravuris 5HM

The Falken also has a good wet grip rating and is apparently quiet.

Hifly hf201 have a very poor fuel efficiency rating in Europe. They don't sell the 165/80R14 here, and that could be because they are too inefficient. They do sell 165/70 and 165/60 and they have the lowest allowed efficiency rating.
Different size, but in size 205/55/16 they received a fuel efficiency rating of "E" on an "A through G" scale...

I do not see any ecofocus on tire labels here in nicaragua. Here are the pics of champiro vp1

Buenos dias! (I hope I wrote it correctly)

Your reading comprehension is not good and thanks for posting your location (Nicaragua) I will blame "English as a second (or even further) language". Mine native language is Polish so I can relate.

The "ecofocus" is on web site that sells tires in the USA (probably Canada too): www.tirerack.com. Not on sidewall.

From CapriRacer:

"Tire Rack uses the tern "Ecofocus" and delineates those that have enhanced RR."

Further your location means that you should be checking local data. I do not think that there are many people in the USA or this board who know Central American (or precisely Nicaraguan) tire market. What is available? What sizes? Etc.

As mentioned earlier you are approaching the problem from wrong angle. Pick a tire designed for low rolling resistance and then find correct size for your vehicle.

You are currently looking at two tires that the same model but different size gets G (the lowest) rolling resistance on Euro label. These labels are "self reported" by manufacturer so they are probably best scenario. That is like asking which spoiled meat will be best for a steak? One week spoiled or 10 days?
Neither is correct answer.

Find a tire in Nicaraguan market, try to find if the same model and size is sold in Europe, find tire label (it seems that tire manufacturers are posting this data on their web pages) and find fuel economy score.
Euro label looks like this

1614351806954.png

And it should be obvious which pictogram is for fuel economy (it is blessing and a curse to have 27+ official languages in an organization).

Sometimes the label data is provided as a table because it is size specific so each size may be different.

Here is Continental tire label viewer:

Best of luck!

Krzyś

Different size, but in size 205/55/16 they received a fuel efficiency rating of "E" on an "A through G" scale...

G is not allowed for sale anymore, so the F rating is now the lowest. That is, old stock can still be sold, but new tyres with G-rating can't be shipped by the factories anymore. Been like that for 2 or 3 years now. This applies to road tyres btw.

Not allowed in Europe (EU). The tires may be sold on unsuspecting consumers elsewhere, I bet.

Krzyś

champiro vp1 175 70 r14 are "E" eu tire fuel rating and highfly hf201 165/80r14 are "E" eu tire fuel rating also. so having the same fuel rating means the highflys are more fuel efficient being that they are 10 mm narrower in width.

according to european tire fuel rating from one letter to another tha 1.5 % fuel difference. so a to c tires are 3 % difference. I dont know how 60 % figure was arrived at.

in nicaragua we have pirelli p1 cinturato 175/65/r14 which are "C" grade in eu fuel rating but they are 73 dollars each so i would probably get more savings in the lower price of buying the champiros than running the fuel efficient pirellis.

there is also goodyear i will call tomoroww to see what they have but these are expensive. again probably better savings from being low price chinese tires than high fuel efficiency name brand tires.

You have to distinguish rolling resitance which can vary up to 60%, and fuel consumption due to rolling resistance. There's other losses that cause fuel consumption such as drive train losses and wind resistance.

Also the worst rolling resistance tyres don't even get a rating.

The Falken I posted above are cheap, around 40 dollars. Maybe they are available aswell?

Back