Fuel Line Disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been shopping around for fuel line disconnects. I am thoroughly confused. There are several different styles, which all appear to work on the same fittings. That is what my question is: do the sytle of tool matter? or does each style work with a different fitting?

I see Lisle makes a "Master Set" and I am considering this one, but it could be a waste if I can buy just the one I need individually.

I got a set made by Danaher in the US from NAPA. It was plastic and had about 6 different sizes. They had a metal set too but it was more expensive, the plastic set was 8 or 9 bucks.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I prefer the spring loaded ones that look like a circle when closed. The ones that work liks scissore are junk.

Funny I feel the exact opposite, I can get more force on the scissors one especially if I have to wiggle it back and forth because some sand got in there.

Invariably one needs both types for reasons of access etc.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I prefer the spring loaded ones that look like a circle when closed. The ones that work liks scissore are junk.

In the Ford manual it shows a picture of the one you describe. It says this is the tool to take apart the fittings. When I look for the fuel line disconnect tools there are three styles available, none of which are the spring loaded circle ones. The ones I can find look different but the markings on the packaging make it sound like they all work on the same fitting.

So that is part of my question, do the different looking tools work on the same fitting, or is there different fittings for each style of tool?

The only thing I will rag on about the Lisle set is that sometimes the tools are too short to fully disengage the tangs/springs on some fuel line fittings. For AC they work fine.

For fuel lines I like the dedicated blue/white plastic disconnect set (OTC preferably), or the metal scissor type.

ALWAYS shoot brake clean in the line connectors to get the dirt/garbage out of there before you try to seperate them. Makes the job easier and cuts down the chance of said garbage ending up in a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back