Fuel injector cleaner for '06 Pathfinder. Techron vs. CRC vs. B12

Lot of choices, don't really know who's got a solid dosage. Apparently the one with the highest PEA is the best? Don't have any numbers or where to start.

Main reason I'm doing it is because a spark plug fouled and started misfiring (car's been largely sitting for months and barely being moved, plus oil change was done over a year ago). It's got 189k miles, so who knows what the last owner did for maintenace

Well, B-12 is a combination of strong solvents that dissolves gums, varnishes and other gunk (so to speak). Great for the entire fuel system, but I am not sure how well it works at removing baked on fuel deposits present on the tips of fuel injectors.

I do not know anything about the CRC product.

Techron is formulated with a PEA which is effective at removing baked on fuel deposits found on the tips of fuel injectors. There is something about amines being able to dissolve/breakdown baked on fuel deposits like gangbusters. I discovered this while cleaning the baked on crud off the window glass in my pellet stove.

So, in short, if you are worried about gummy or "varnishy" deposits in the fuel system before the fuel injectors, I would use the Berryman B-12. However, if you are concerned about fuel injector deposits, then use the Techron.

The plug likely fouled for another reason. I doubt it fouled from an injector.

Possibly, it may just be overdue for replacement. In another thread I have mentioned that there is an oil leak from the upper parts of the engine, so maybe from there the plugs got fouled.

@Trav has suggested a one two punch approach. Run a tankful with B12 followed by a tankful with Redline FI cleaner, Techron or another quality FI cleaner which contains PEA, and have the best of both worlds.

as demarpaint/trav points out, run a tank full of gas dosed with B12 followed by a tank full of gas dosed with Techron.

I’m not a big fan of injector cleaners, throttle body cleaners, etc...but with that type of mileage and having it sat for so long? Yeah, maybe give the Techron a try. Get it out on the road, give it a long trip, let fuel actually start doing its job with the detergents it itself has in it, along with the Techron and that should help. If not? Then a simple dirty injector tip is not your problem.

Back