Fuel filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister had a '99 Cherokee which had an unserviceable screen in the tank for a filter.
My 2007 V70 has a permanent filter in the gas tank as part of the fuel pump/pick-up/float assy.

See if you can find a drawing of where your filter is just so you know.

I think I prefer a removable filter but I know eliminating the occasionally troublesome connections in a fuel line is not a bad idea.

I'm just wondering about the effects of having a really dirty fuel filter like the one he has. I would think some of that black dirt must have made it past the filter. Does that mean adding any fuel additives that are suppose to clean the fuel system and combustion chamber such as Techron or Gumout products is pretty much a mute point if dirty fuel is getting past the filter and you can't service the filter?

The 2 biggest reasons cars got rid of replaceable fuel filter is 1 gas pumps have to have filters built into them now. So not much gets in from that source anymore. The 2nd is fuel injectors are self cleaning and those micro pieces of dirt will not even be noticed by the injector and/or engine.

My 2012 Jetta has a filter. Then my 15 CRV and 17 Jetta dont have a serviceable filter. I wish they did but at the same time gas is pretty clean in America. Although no way I would ever buy gas in those vehicles in a 3rd world country.

I recently had the pleasure of replacing both fuel pumps in my F150. While the pump was out I took a peak into the 21 year old gas tank. Clean as a whistle. I expected for stuff to be in there after all, it was old and the truck is seldom used. I suspect the sock on the pump doesnt do much.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I suspect the sock on the pump doesn't do much.

It is very much needed to protect the rotors in the pump.

The little stuff that gets past the sock doesn't really bother the pump.

If that guy's minivan ran 300,000 miles at say....20 mpg, ... then that's 15,000 gallons of gas!

I would think it was bound to filter out something.

I would think most fuel filters that are changed,are done needlessly.The few I have cut open used,have had near zero deposits in them.The worst ones were the 1970s/80s Ford screw-into-the-carb units...a few grains of stuff and they plug.

My car has an in-line one just before the carb. Downstream I dunno, should check.

There was quite a lot of rust in it, revealed when I back-flushed it, because I didn't have a replacement.

I hope to replace it with a see-through take-apart one, er...someday.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
... If that guy's minivan ran 300,000 miles at say....20 mpg, ... then that's 15,000 gallons of gas! ...
The original fuel filter on my Mazda went only about 250K before it clogged, i.e., about 5500 gallons. Its replacement never clogged in >350K. Oddly, Mazda ignored that filter in the service schedule. They ignored the PCV valve too, and I never changed it.

slightly different question. Ordered fuel filter for Volvo 240, Bosch 71039, also listed is 71005 high filtration. $16 vs. $23. Both fit a bunch of euro cars..volvo, saab, V-AG. Staff have no clue why to use the finer filter except ASSUME it is like better oil filter material. ANY THOUGHTS Going to check with Bosch. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back