Fuel filters -- Why did GM start putting them in the tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 04 2500hd 4wd I discovered that GM has now decided that we don't need to change our fuel filters until 100,000 miles. The actual filter is in the tank, I'm not sure what it looks like or if it's just the pump sock.

I think 100k is a bit much for a fuel filter. The one in my wife's car is absolutely filthy after 30k running Chevron, Shell & Texaco gas.

Is there a way to add an external filter somehow?

There has to be a rubber line somewhere, even if the line from the in-tank pump outlet (I assume there is a n intank pump) to the engine is metal... You can just splice one into the rubber fuel line somewhere under the hood (a small plastic one would be easily servicable and visible).

Consider using an inline fuel filter from an older mercedes diesel; the OM617 turbo series. This inline filter allows good flow ind ifs vry tough, so it can take good high pressure, etc., and its really cheap and well made.

JMH

I looked underneath it and its all the alum. fuel line straight to the fuel rail.

I wander how hard it is to change out the filter in the tank. It would take me over 4 years to hit 30k the way I have been driving the truck.

What happens when the engine moves in relation to the body of the truck? There has to be a flexible part of the line to allow for that.

quote:

Originally posted by Mighty HD:
On my 04 2500hd 4wd I discovered that GM has now decided that we don't need to change our fuel filters until 100,000 miles. The actual filter is in the tank, I'm not sure what it looks like or if it's just the pump sock.

I think 100k is a bit much for a fuel filter. The one in my wife's car is absolutely filthy after 30k running Chevron, Shell & Texaco gas.

Is there a way to add an external filter somehow?

Probably to save on mfg.costs like no drain plugs in the torque converters or differential.

How hard is yur fuel pump/filter to get at?
Some have access from under the back seat, or similar.
I'd utilize the stock system, bite the bullet, and change the filter.

How would adding another filter post-filter help the first filter? But yes, I can see a problem on the horizon for my car as well.

No access other than removing the bed or dropping the tank. A real pain.

I think Dodge is the same way now.

My Pontiac Vibe's have an in-tank filter. I didn't find that out until I went to change the first one and couldn't find it. I looked at a new filter($60!!) and it was a big round plastic thing that the fuel pump sat right inside. The outside was covered in screen similar to a pump sock and I didn't notice any other filter material inside. Since it would have cost me atleast $200 in parts/labor to change it I decided to leave it be. I'll change it if the pump ever dies. 130k miles so far on the stock filter.

Gotta' 2004 Silverado and the corporate droids decided to place the fuel filter inside the gas tank.

Buffoons. Idiots. Greedy corporate scum wanting to coerce more people into dealerships to get the filter replaced.

Those that have changed the dern' thing proclaim it is easier to remove the bed to get at it vice dropping the tank.

When it's time for me to do it I believe I will cut a hole in the bed above the fuel pump/filter access point. When done, I will mount a couple small brackets to the piece of removed bed and bolt it back in place.

Too bad the corporate higher-ups making decisions that harm the consumer earn so much more than the typical worker buying their cruddy offerings.

My 2003 1500HD 6.0 still has external gas filter. Found out that it is the same filter that I use in my v-6 fieros so I already had a bunch on hand. Guess I got lucky on that one. But in 2003 they did away with the in cabin air filter...

My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 has the in tank filter too and they claim it doesn't ever need to be changed. I'm not worrying about it. If I ever wear out the pump I'll change it then

I think it is pretty standard these days. Mount electric pumps in the tank for cooling purposes, and I think it lasts longer that way. Haven't heard too many problems with the system, it seems to work pretty well.

I just changed the pump in my 96 ram with 134,000 miles. The fiter and pressure regulater are one. I cut the old fiter apart and it was pluged. I don't know how it still got fuel, but it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back