Fuel filler's on the left, genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't get some people. Went to fill up this evening and some guy drove in, in a late model Nissan Sunny (Sentra in North America). My fuel fill is on the left, as is his.

There are two pumps per service bay, and instead of lining up behind the refuelling Chevrolet Avalanche behind me, he jumps to the service bay to my left and stretches the nozzle right across his trunk lid to fuel up. He then leaves it unattended to sit in his vehicle, as the nozzle slips out of the filler neck and litres of petrol/gasoline starts pouring all over the hot asphalt (43 C/110 F ambient temperature)!

Station attendants came rushing with fire extinguishers, high pressure water hose, etc. and brought the entire station to a standstill. No vehicles were allowed out, and no vehicles were allowed in, until everything was safe again. Fire brigade, police, ambulance all called in and arrived shortly. Everybody was asked to stop refuelling and step back.

I didn't stay to find out what happened to the guy. What a waste of 20 minutes for 13-15 motorists, because some idiot has no common sense!
mad.gif

Had several GM products like that...it was very handy. Too bad they did away with it.
frown.gif

Uncommonly idiotic people might have no common sense because they have no connection with common people, who have common sense. Common people get common sense from each other. They might want to feel common, but that's not something you can just wish for. Being alone is no fun, but I wonder if it's worth being right. I really do wonder.

I completely agree!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Filling on the wrong side is fine, getting back in the car was the bone head move.

True, although it's against the law here to stretch the pump and refuel on the wrong side.

Best I ever saw working in service stations was a bloke putting a Bic lighter end on under the handle to go to the toilet...(we don't have latching handles down here for obvious reason).

When I removed and handled "his property", he demanded to see my boss...who told him that he was a stupid idiot.

We don't have that problem up here... Automatic pumps have been banned on all self-serve gas stations for a while now. The guy inside the booth watches on camera if you try to put your gas cap into the space to hold the handle in the fill position too and will shut off your pump. I know this first hand...
grin2.gif

08.gif
I guess it is a good thing, and here I thought it was because they wanted to entertain the employees at the station watching us Canadians freeze our @$$'s off filling our cars in the middle of winter when the mercury is below -15oF!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Had several GM products like that...it was very handy. Too bad they did away with it.
frown.gif

My dad had a '77 Chevy Caprice classic that had this.

We have presets on self serve pumps. One time I did prop something in the nozzle that didn't have one (back in the late 70's) ..but I was STANDING RIGHT THERE and the person in the booth took exception to it. I was doing a SteveC ..and wanting my hands in my pockets for our balmy just sub 0C winter. Now @ around 0c ..Steve would be out in a t-shirt getting a tan.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
My Mazda3 has the fuel door on the RIGHT side!
grin2.gif

NOT one of Ford's better ideas. Every Taurus I've had the fortune of owning makes you go "against the grain" of fuel stop traffic.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
We have presets on self serve pumps. One time I did prop something in the nozzle that didn't have one (back in the late 70's) ..but I was STANDING RIGHT THERE and the person in the booth took exception to it. I was doing a SteveC ..and wanting my hands in my pockets for our balmy just sub 0C winter. Now @ around 0c ..Steve would be out in a t-shirt getting a tan.
grin2.gif

YES sir, that is beer drinking BBQ weather eh?
08.gif

LOL.gif

NOT one of Ford's better ideas. Every Taurus I've had the fortune of owning makes you go "against the grain" of fuel stop traffic.

This is an advantage IMO. Cavaliers and corsicas have the filler on the right side. Usually more free space.

Around here it is up to the local town fire marshall if he wants to allow hands free pumps. About 50/50.

The license plate fillers are likely no more since tanks aren't between the rear bumper and solid axle like they used to be. Now the rear seat passengers usually sit on them.

My Mazda3 has the fuel door on the RIGHT side!
grin2.gif

I read an interview with Lee Iacocca (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...) years ago and remember him saying in the article that statistics showed that side-impacts tended to happen more often on the left side of the car, so Chrysler started putting the filler on the right side as a safety measure.

FWIW

Left side, right side, why does it matter what side the fuel door is on. Just know what side it is on your car and park accordingly.
21.gif

Left side, right side, why does it matter what side the fuel door is on. Just know what side it is on your car and park accordingly.
21.gif

Now don't go thowing logic into this mess!
LOL.gif

And for the record, in my fleet, the trucks are on the left and the cars are on the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back