Fuel enconomy up after first fill up wil Mobil1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After using M1 5w30 in my wife's Cavalier, gas mileage went up from 27 mpg to 31 mpg. I'm starting to see the benefits of this stuff already!
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

Mobil 1 is definitely a fuell efficient oil which has it's set backs and benefits.

Sorry but I'm not a believer in huge MPG increases when choosing different oils (your's is 15%). The largest percentage gain that is observed when switching oils is when you switch grades (5W30 compared to 10W40). The maximum percentage increase is about 3% for each change in grade. Going from a 5W30 conventional to a 5W30 synthetic won't save you much gas. Too many people change driving styles, fuel type, or something else that changes their MPG and the driver thinks it is just the oil. Hey, but any increase is $$$ saved.
cheers.gif

If you fill up at a warmer part of the day one week compared to the previous week you can sometimes see a huge fluctuation in MPG just based on that. I often see that with my wife's car, her MPG drops (it appears to drop that is) by a huge amount one week, then if I average it out over two weeks, it evens out to where it always is (around 23MPG) So in other words, don't just trust one fillup, the pump may have stopped pumping sooner this week compared to last, making it "seem" like you used less gallons of fuel.

I have logged every tank of gas that has gone through my stroker 22r. over 22000 miles so far. Mobil 1/ 0-40 saves me .6 mpg over m1 / 15-50. and I could absolutely feel the increase in throttle response and performance. Steve

I'm really liking this stuff. I just put M1 in my new Silverado 5.3L. I chaged it at 500 miles on the original factory oil. I was going to wait until the 3000 miles to put it in, until I found out that they use it as a factory fill in the Corvette, so no reason to wait until break-in is complete.
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

Thanks for re-posting an earlier comment that I made. I knew someone would bring it forward. I made a post recently after a co-worker who has a new suburban with the 5.3L showed me how smooth it ran with th 10w30 Mobil1. We also checked the dipstick when the engine was hot after some stop&go driving. The oil had a very nice consistency so I decide to use it. I'm sold on it now. I figure sine both my wife's vehicle and mine are new, it's a good idea to protect your investment.
cheers.gif

~SoftPoint

posted August 04, 2003 10:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being new around here, I realize my opinion is not valued, I also have a limited knowledge regarding oil analysis, oil additives, and just motor oil in general. But I do have eyes, and common sense, and this is a report on what I have seen.
I recently have been pondering running M1 5w30 in my new truck. My wifes car was coming due for an oil change, so I tried it in her car first. 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L engine 5K miles.

I stopped to check the oil today, after driving in traffic in some very hot weather. Th M1 5w30 just completely rolled off the dipstick leaving hardly any residue. It appears that it just is too thin and thins out like water under severe conditions. The temperature gauge was also about 10 degrees hotter at idle that with the previous oil.

This is the first and last time I use M1. I never had this problem with Havoline.
Cheers!

SoftPoint

What, exactly, caused you to reverse yourself?

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
Sorry but I'm not a believer in huge MPG increases when choosing different oils (your's is 15%). The largest percentage gain that is observed when switching oils is when you switch grades (5W30 compared to 10W40). The maximum percentage increase is about 3% for each change in grade. Going from a 5W30 conventional to a 5W30 synthetic won't save you much gas. Too many people change driving styles, fuel type, or something else that changes their MPG and the driver thinks it is just the oil. Hey, but any increase is $$$ saved.
cheers.gif

I sure agree here. Objective as we think we are-there is a subconscious urge to try for better milage when you are using a product that hopefully will improbe milage. For instanceyyou will resist the urge to do the things in a car that are fun-but unfortunately waste fuel.

3% is realistically as studies have been shown to increase milage with synthetics. And many times it is based on using a lower viscosity oil.

I know that in industry we used to use Terrestic oils. Their synthetic oil used to be called Synnestic. They claimed a 3% increase when switching from an ISO 68 conventional oil (20 wt) to an ISO 32 synthetic (10 wt).

But hey-not knocking it. Whatever you are doing-keep it up and be happy
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back