Fuel economy in new cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: supton

Loved my VW, filled it to the brim (literally) on just about every fillup it had. I figured that ought to be very repeatable.
smile.gif

smile.gif
Got to love Diesel.

Only from an mpg standpoint. Initial cost and the emissions system upkeep stuff, I have to have a real need for a diesel before I am going to buy one. And MPG is not one of the deciding factors. While the pricing between fuels right now makes a good case that diesel, on a cost per mile basis, is beneficial, but the track record over the last decade is that even with the better mpg, the price spread at the pump makes it basically a wash on a cost per mile basis. I own diesels for specific applications and gas for others. Don't "love" either fuel or engine, just get what offers the best overall value for what it is doing.

10 years ago it was great. But when I sold off the car last year I did not think diesel was the right technology for my next car (whatever it may be). I took a huge gamble on the unit injectors that my VW had, I think it went ok--but for many other PD owners it didn't (soft cams, expensive injector replacements). I kept mine to the typical VW failures (flywheel, turbo, couple smaller items) which were only after a decent milage (250kmiles), which I didn't think was too bad. But no DPF, SCR etc.

Putting aside tech costs, I loved the 5 speed manual, low end torque and high mpg. Small nimble car. I normally drive 500 miles a week and sometimes more.

10 years ago the advantage was there. Today, I don't think it is the same case.

Nah I wouldn't touch a modern diesel in a pickup. To much to go wrong, and when it does fail it costs a fortune.

Emissions ruined them, along with the simple fact that gas engines are so much better than they used to be.

Around here diesel is about $1 a gallon more than RUG, so the MPG's would have to be off the chart to see any cost savings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
I agree. Automakers seem to be more interested in seeing how many electronic bells and whistles they can cram into a vehicle than they do improving fuel economy...
if they put as much effort into improving MPGs as they do putting these giant, distracting, jumbotron screens into their vehicles, full sized pickups would be getting 40 MPG by now...

That's the biggest pile of nonsense I've read on here in a while, grampi.

Go buy a pickup truck, any single one out there, and rip out EVERY single safety device that you can. Air bags, seatbelts, head restraint, abs sensors, everything.

Then drive it around, and see if you get even 1 extra mpg on the highway.

You won't.

Static weight means nothing at highway cruising speed.
And the amount of weight you're talking about from added on safety components in the car is about the same as a medium size dog.

Be realistic for once.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
I agree. Automakers seem to be more interested in seeing how many electronic bells and whistles they can cram into a vehicle than they do improving fuel economy...
if they put as much effort into improving MPGs as they do putting these giant, distracting, jumbotron screens into their vehicles, full sized pickups would be getting 40 MPG by now...

That's the biggest pile of nonsense I've read on here in a while, grampi.

Go buy a pickup truck, any single one out there, and rip out EVERY single safety device that you can. Air bags, seatbelts, head restraint, abs sensors, everything.

Then drive it around, and see if you get even 1 extra mpg on the highway.

You won't.

Static weight means nothing at highway cruising speed.
And the amount of weight you're talking about from added on safety components in the car is about the same as a medium size dog.

Be realistic for once.

BC.

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I'm saying if they put as much time and effort into trying to make them more fuel efficient as they do trying to cram every type of new fangled electronic device and safety device in these vehicles, you'd see a lot more technology built into them that would greatly increase fuel economy...I'm not talking about the added weight due to these devices...

That's not at all what I'm talking about. I'm saying if they put as much time and effort into trying to make them more fuel efficient as they do trying to cram every type of new fangled electronic device and safety device in these vehicles, you'd see a lot more technology built into them that would greatly increase fuel economy...I'm not talking about the added weight due to these devices...

Have you not heard of CAFE requirements?
They are fought by every manufacturer usually. Also many BITOGers like to gripe about them.

Originally Posted By: surfstar

They are fought by every manufacturer usually. Also many BITOGers like to gripe about them.

CAFE requirements are the minimum...if automakers wanted to go above and beyond they easily could...

CAFE requirements are the minimum...if automakers wanted to go above and beyond they easily could...

Unfortunately it seems the average new car buyer likes their gizmos, and so do the manufactures, all the fluff is almost pure profit. They may charge alot for it, but its cheap compared to actual mechanical features...

Something like a Prius has real money put into its mechanicals to get good mileage, and so they aren't as cheap as Corolla. More people opt for a Corolla though, and many load them up with junk until they cost nearly what the base Prius costs, but thats their choice I guess. I have to admit I kind of like my "loaded" Focus with heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, fake leather, etc but I'd never ever pay the premium for them on a new car...

Someone needs to figure out how to manufacture 6 year old simple Camrys, Corollas, RAV4's and sell them for $6-8k, they would make a fortune!

They do, how is your new Volt doing?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Unfortunately it seems the average new car buyer likes their gizmos, and so do the manufactures, all the fluff is almost pure profit. They may charge alot for it, but its cheap compared to actual mechanical features...

Something like a Prius has real money put into its mechanicals to get good mileage, and so they aren't as cheap as Corolla. More people opt for a Corolla though, and many load them up with junk until they cost nearly what the base Prius costs, but thats their choice I guess. I have to admit I kind of like my "loaded" Focus with heated seats and mirrors, sunroof, fake leather, etc but I'd never ever pay the premium for them on a new car...

Someone needs to figure out how to manufacture 6 year old simple Camrys, Corollas, RAV4's and sell them for $6-8k, they would make a fortune!

Really? I see Prius's everywhere they seem very popular. The base model is only $24k, and lets just say its stark in terms of options.

Manufactures build what the public wants to buy.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

They build what the MAJORITY wants...they don't really care about the rest...

They do, how is your new Volt doing?

We were discussing pickups, not sedans...

Oh OK how is your new Ram Ecodiesel doing?

Oh OK how is your new Ram Ecodiesel doing?

Still sucking fuel...

They build what the MAJORITY wants...they don't really care about the rest...

Actually they build what their consultants tell them to build.
After all if all the build are gadget laden fat pigs and there are no other choices what can you do? Build your own? LOL What a crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back