Fuel Dilution - Does conventional vs. synthetic make a difference?

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
This question popped in my head as I was trying to sleep...

Let's say you're trying to combat fuel dilution on a TGDI engine. Changing at relatively short intervals (5k/6mo.), would it be better to use cheap conventional OR do modern synthetics have some property which helps them better maintain their viscosity when diluted?

I'm sure there's a thousand different opinions on this, but I'm looking for actual data (or at least solid fact-based theory).

Synthetic bases may degrade less in the presence of fuel but that's probably about it. In terms of viscosity loss, it should be the same between them.

Intervals are less interesting than effective PCV, sufficient oil temperatures and so on.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 011811.jpg

Most TGDI engines spec a syn oil so the question is already answered.. also you need lspi mitigation so
just dropping in a 15w40 mixed fleet oil isnt the answer.

My jeep spec's jeep ms-13340, api sn+ if not available, and the OLM is upto 10k miles or so.. I usually change at 4000-5000. (40-50% oil life remaining)
although in the summer might stretch it out to 6k miles or so.
usually the winter oci is the shortest.

THE OLM isnt a generic miles type it takes into account driving conditions.. but I think its extremely optimistic. the 2.0T engine and the 3.2 pentastar basically get the same OLM.. from what I can tell from owning both.. they did spec different oils however.

I've ran both conventional and synthetic in an EcoBoost 2.0, oil always turns dark quickly and smells like fuel. I'm only running 4,000 mile intervals so I don't really think it matters much.

I think DNewton shared something about this some time back and the bottom line is the only true "management" for fuel dilution is a shorter OCI; i.e. change the oil--no matter what the base stock may be.

With just 1,3% of gasoline after 20,000 miles in my rotary I dare to say that short OCI as a cure would be more true for a diesel on FAME. Gasoline is sufficiently elusive.

Back