FTC Declines to Extend Comment Period on Proposed Auto Rule, Deadline For Comments Sept. 12

Hello Everyone,

I only recently started to follow what is being proposed by the FTC for the changes in business practices that auto dealers are going to have to follow in the future.

We have all heard about the horror stories of "Stealerships" when it comes to the purchase of both new and used cars. It sound like with this most recent ruling with the comment period extension proposal being denied by the FTC that these new rule making efforts are going to go into affect sooner vs. later.

If you are not aware of what these new rules / practices are, here is a link to a good summary article from CR that details them.

So the take-home message is that people have 15 days left to submit comments.

Wrenchturner's first link includes a link to the full details of the proposal and the comment process. I'm sure advocates for the industry will read the document thoroughly and comment accordingly.

Rule and Comments at Regulations.gov

Section VII, "Questions for Comment," has a list of specific questions that commenters can respond to. Comments that demonstrate a knowledge of the process or explain specific ways that current practices affected a consumer are likely go get more attention. Details and particular examples will be more effective than general rants. I know BITOG has many members who are both articulate and knowledgeable about the dealership experience.

I believe consumers would rather go in and see the price as it is versus going through the negotiations and wondering in the end if they got a good deal or not. Maybe the sales staff would become more knowledgeable about the automobile?

I remember salesmen coming asking us to block cars in so the customers cant leave then hearing screaming matches in the showroom, I saw one guy jumping up and down on the desk demanding his keys and another chasing the salesman around the building. This was before cell phones and internet.

The article did confuse spot delivery and yo yo financing though. Spot delivery is where they un-horse the customer right then and there by doing a credit report usually on a Saturday and get them in the car with some paperwork that needs to be finished on Monday. We always knew when this happened, salesmen hiding behind tires, customers sreaming and T.O men on the job to sooth the PO'd customer with buyers remorse, all sorts of stuff. It is a dirty and nasty business and I cant see it ever changing.

I'm no fan at all of the current leadership, but I am also honest, and give credit where credit is due, this is a good thing in my opinion, I hope it gets implemented ASAP. I haven't been to a car dealer in quite some time, but their way of doing business is definitely not pleasant, and a big reason why I just pay cash and buy from a private seller. They believe they are above the law. I wrote this as PC as I could, because my true feelings of car dealers would get me sent to my room with no supper by the BITOG royalty 😉

I had a Toyota dealer text me they had a Venza inbound and they were selling it at MSRP. It does come with $3400 worth of accessories that can’t be removed. So much for selling at MSRP.

Back