Frustrated! trans well maintained, still grenaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Originally Posted by Tyson
Heard from the shop.....not the transmission!

Catastrophic failure in the rear differential. Pieces of gears everywhere.

None of it is salvageable, so getting a whole new rear axle/diff assembly for just under $2k.

I'll be hunting Friday!

I hope the trans wasn't damaged from trying to turn the jammed up rear end!

edit: Since I, and only I have serviced the rear diff, I find this troubling. Fluid was suctioned and filled every 50k. Supertech full synthetic 75-90.

Good news (relatively speaking)!

Hi Tyson

Sorry to read about the truck failure.

On a happier note, good luck from a Brit' Hunter for your coming season and may St Hubert be at your shoulder guiding you and keeping you safe.

Tikka.

Does not matter how well something is maintained - if usage exceeds design limitations - it will break.

I think the key here is "mechanical sympathy"

Most people think their machines are invincible - but just like them - the machines also have their limits.

Originally Posted by yowps3
Most people think their machines are invincible - but just like them - the machines also have their limits.

Regardless of mileage, the more you use it, the more probability of a failure.

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Originally Posted by kschachn
Wut?
Nut.

Right. People join the forum, post nonsense, and when questioned make responses like this.

Wut?
Nut.

Right. People join the forum, post nonsense
Do YOU think? Ok, if YOU says it, it must be true...

So his differential failure was due to the transmission fluid?

Yes. Now. You are right. The Dexron-blah (deleted?) made me cinfused...

Ok. 1:0 for you
wink.gif
(no hard feelings)

That's a real real NUT , putting the cart before the horse .

Edit: What's the thread title btw, for context and OP ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
Heard from the shop.....not the transmission!

Catastrophic failure in the rear differential. Pieces of gears everywhere.

None of it is salvageable, so getting a whole new rear axle/diff assembly for just under $2k.

I'll be hunting Friday!

I hope the trans wasn't damaged from trying to turn the jammed up rear end!

edit: Since I, and only I have serviced the rear diff, I find this troubling. Fluid was suctioned and filled every 50k. Supertech full synthetic 75-90.
Again servicing will prolong the life of the component .Servicing will not stop parts from breaking because of improper manufacture etc.

Exactly right CT8. Well stated.

Originally Posted by talest
2002 GMC Sierra 2500, 6.0 with 4L80 trans with trans drain and fills every 15k miles.

This is one of the GMs you never buy. The trans has always been a weak point, 4L80-E from a Suburban, shifts well, but, fragile. You had a 6.0 ..

AFAIK, isn't a 4L80-E more or less based on the Turbo 400 but with an overdrive gear and electronic controls? It should be a proven, durable tranny since so many of them go into GM's "heavy duty" trucks, box van/bread van/RV chassis and Isuzu NPR gassers...

...The worst inconvenience is IT'S HUNTING SEASON! I need that truck to keep my sanity.

I'm hoping to hear from the repair shop this morning what the damage to the wallet is and the timeline.

I hope to get back on the mountain quickly.

Piece of crap GM product. In spite of excellent maintenance and no heavy towing, it still falls apart. I expected more than 148k

I hear you and that's the main reason I own the Frontier 4X4 - hunting.

Did you purchase it new or buy it as a second owner?

I am the second owner and have had some minor problems with it, such as leaky transfer case seals and a recently failed starter, but otherwise it has been reliable.

There are times when a component will grenade in spite of excellent maintenance.

On the positive side, it is better that a component fails near home than deep in the woods or mountains.

Here's hoping they can get the tranny replaced before hunting season is in full force.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by talest
2002 GMC Sierra 2500, 6.0 with 4L80 trans with trans drain and fills every 15k miles.

This is one of the GMs you never buy. The trans has always been a weak point, 4L80-E from a Suburban, shifts well, but, fragile. You had a 6.0 ..

AFAIK, isn't a 4L80-E more or less based on the Turbo 400 but with an overdrive gear and electronic controls? It should be a proven, durable tranny since so many of them go into GM's "heavy duty" trucks, box van/bread van/RV chassis and Isuzu NPR gassers...

He's probably referring to the 4L60E, You are correct the 4L80E is based on a TH400. A Overdrive unit overdrives the Forward Clutch Drum giving a .75 ratio.

That sucks. I know the feeling of maintaining your vehicle very well and something still failing. I had a rear end issue on my 98 K1500 when it only had about 75,000 miles on it with minimal towing and no heavy loads and I changed the fluid every 30,000 miles on it and the pinion and carrier bearings still went out and I had to have the rear end rebuilt. I also bought this truck new and did all of the fluid changes myself.

I actually started getting some noise at about 55,000 miles but could not pinpoint it and it wasn't until it started getting a lot louder that I finally figured it out.

The truck now has 138,000 miles on it and the rear is still quiet but the guy who rebuilt the rear end told me that the factory put undersize bearings in these 1/2 ton rear ends and that they saw a lot of issues in those rears, especially on the Tahoes and Suburbans. I guess time will tell on how long it lasts this time around.

Many transmission, t-case, and differential failures are not lube-related.
And many bearings these days are made to random quality levels in third world countries.

I EXPECT must automatic transmissions to go between 200-300k and I have yet to be let down. The end of the intermediate band on my Ford 5R55E trans just broke off and dropped in the pan out the blue at 250k miles. Before that it shifted like brand new, the fluid changed every 20k miles looked brand new. I dont tow or drive it hard. It's still drivable except the 2-3 shift I have to get off the gas and let "catch" before it shifts. Been driving it 15k miles that way but that too is only a matter of time before it goes. The engine will probably last to 450k miles but it is likely going to go thru a few (used) trannies to get there.

Hunting truck......I wouldn't be surprised if the diff didn't get submerged in water somewhere along the line. Ford prescribes an immediate oil change in that case.

If you elect to maintain a vehicle ahead of the curve that would include an extra early differential oil change. They don't have filters so there's no backup if something is wrong.

This is more a vent post than anything else.

I've pampered my 2002 GMC Sierra 2500, 6.0 with 4L80 trans with trans drain and fills every 15k miles.

Yesterday with 148k on the clock, the trans grenaded.

Climbing a steep, rocky road the trans temperature spiked to 220, followed by grinding and vehicle shaking. I stopped and let it cool, and started it up again and it engaged enough to get turned around and limp 20 miles back to town with a couple cooling stops involved.

The worst inconvenience is IT'S HUNTING SEASON! I need that truck to keep my sanity.

I'm hoping to hear from the repair shop this morning what the damage to the wallet is and the timeline.

I hope to get back on the mountain quickly.

Piece of crap GM product. In spite of excellent maintenance and no heavy towing, it still falls apart. I expected more than 148k

200k on my work truck 05 Silverado 4L60E with zero maintenance and it's still chugging along. Most of them do, but I've heard of a few random failures, probably from a defective part.

You don't hear of many 4L80s fail though. I know of one and it's a dually that pulls a skid steer for my friends paving company. Zero Maintenance and he drives it on the rug all the time. It lasted over 200k.

I know gm factory remanufactured 4l80e's run about $4k. Installed with 3/36 warranty. Not much of a warranty if dealer doesn't install it.

The 4l80e would have my vote for one of the best tranny's ever made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back