FRUIT: ITS HEALTH BENEFITS AND PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
by Lawrence Wilson, MD
© March 2011, The Center For Development

Most people enjoy eating fruit, and many health authorities recommend eating it as part of a balanced and healthy diet. Reasons for this include:

· Fruit is a whole, natural food.
· Fruit contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, natural sugars and other nutrients.
· Fruit is convenient, tasty and often inexpensive.

However, in clinical experience over 30 years, we find that eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people. This is disturbing to many of our clients and to me as well. This article is intended to clarify why I do not recommend eating much fruit, basically, with a few exceptions, possibly.

http://www.drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/FRUIT.htm

Maybe so, but the man is no novice and makes many good points, though I don't agree with him on some things.

"SYMPTOMS OF OVEREATING ON FRUIT"

Too much or too little of certain things are bad. The isn't news.

Quote:

Totally avoid ... citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit.

Any scholar of Gilligan's Island knows this is a bad idea.

This guy seems to think carrots and vegetables are the answer to all health problems. However, what if you have a health problem that necessitates lowering your intake a vitamin A?

That is the problem with any extreme position regarding health.

I contend that a balanced diet is still a better option. You'll take my barbecue from my cold dead hands.

Ignoring the quackery and will continue to eat tomatoes, potatoes and peppers of all kinds.

And tell Dr Oz I just had some applejuice....yummy Washington State arsenic. mmmmmmmmmm.....

The thing with fruit is that (ive read) it may be genetically modified to be sweeter than would be "natural". Ive also come to reason that sugars are the cause of much of our health concerns, not necessarily fats in and of themselves.

So he may be on to something... But nothing in extreme scenarios really flies to me.

Give up lemons? The other school of thought is that they help alkalize the body...

I'll never understand why people actually believe quacks like this. This is the same Lawrence Wilson that advocates sauna therapy for, among other things, a cure for cancerous tumors along with a whole host of other far fetched, wacko medical ideas.

There's boatloads of evidence that a healthy, balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetables, along with an active lifestyle are keys to good health. Yet people actually read and believe a quack like Wilson.

And gee, imagine that. He's hawking books and Cd's for those foolish enough to believe the malarkey that he pushes.

He sounds like a fruit cake.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Totally avoid ... citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit.

Any scholar of Gilligan's Island knows this is a bad idea.

Why didn't the Skipper lose any weight on Gilligan's Island? I think he had a large stash of candy bars.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
eating meat will kill you
eating carbohydrate will kill you
eating fruit will kill you

will carrots kill you?

Eventually, something will kill you.

At least that's what the empirical evidence suggests.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Beat me to it.

Everything, gives you cancer... Joe Jackson

I eat whatever I think is good, because everywhere you turn, something is bad for you. Oh well, you only live once. I eat fruit every day because its great. Ain't changing a thing!!

I can understand his comments applying to someone who decides to be a "fruitarian", missing out on all sorts of stuff, and over carbing.

But an omnivore shouldn't have the issues, as they are getting the good stuff from meat and nuts and vegetables, butter and cheese.

But people consider 500ml of fruit juice, or flavoured milk "healthy" around here.

While fruit is an excellent source of all kinds of healthy stuff it is not good for EVERYONE.

Very high glycemic index for one segment of the population. Every one of us is a unique organism and may not like what the guy right next to us is thriving on.

What's great for you may kill me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'll never understand why people actually believe quacks like this. This is the same Lawrence Wilson that advocates sauna therapy for, among other things, a cure for cancerous tumors along with a whole host of other far fetched, wacko medical ideas.

There's boatloads of evidence that a healthy, balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetables, along with an active lifestyle are keys to good health. Yet people actually read and believe a quack like Wilson.

And gee, imagine that. He's hawking books and Cd's for those foolish enough to believe the malarkey that he pushes.

He's not a quack. There are all kinds of opinions out there. Just because some of you don't agree with him doesn't make him a quack. I'm sure he's helped 100s or 1000s of people to health. You have to take the good of what he says - or what applies to you, and move on with it to the next morsel of truth you may come across. If your health issues were chronic enough, I'm sure you'd relate more to some of what he says.

I once built his home made IR sauna and had problems with it - I began to sweat in the sun - felt like I was under a broiler. A year or so after stopping his IR sauna, the symptoms went away. I can do real dry heat or steam saunas but not his IR sauna with IR lamps pointed on you.

I may be better off without fruit - or certainly with less fruit, as I tend to over eat fruit. I'd bet I ate 400 mangoes already this year. I guess it all depends on if you'd rather please your sweet tooth or look at your long term health results. Fruit is just more addiction that some people refuse to admit is any addiction at all - but it is, just like sugar, coffee, smoking, booze, drugs, etc. Fruit is something I plan to treat myself to only once a week or so, and only a little of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back