FRUIT: ITS HEALTH BENEFITS AND PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20
I'm eating some animal foods again.

I recommend lots of beef brisket. I know I feel better after eating a pound or 3.

I'm not an expert, but in my opinion, at least 80% vegetables and other plant foods are a good ratio. I don't think a lot of beef is a good thing, but that's just my opinion. (Too hard to digest). Big meat meals tend to really slow down the BMs, it seems, and constipation is not good at all. We need to have at least 2 BMs daily. If not, eat more veggies, or take plant enzymes or drink more water, or something. Constipation clogs the liver.

I haven't been able to eat a high ratio of meat in meals for decades. If I do, I will feel pain in my colon.

What I used to do is get grass fed ground beef and broil it very lightly, and it almost melted in my mouth.

Yeah, it's like I'm trying to live to 100 by eating organic natural foods and in the meantime people are dying of starvation at age 50. Seems kind of selfish of people like me. It's good to see the reasoning behind these foods.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
suing farmers whose paddocks get contaminated,;

That was a very outrageous court case. Not only Monsanto contaminated the farmer's crop, then they went and sued him for it. And they won! This is when you say [censored].

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: JOD
The bottom line is that genetically-modified food is probably going to be an important tool to fight world-wide hunger.

LOL, that's made my rainy day.

They've certainly demonstrated their lack of desire for that very milestone to date.

While I don't argue that basic point, drought and disease-resistance crops can't be discounted as one potential tool in the arsenal--and while I have the same concerns as anyone, I just don't think GMO's should be dismissed out of hand.

Originally Posted By: Ray Garlington
""Fruit upsets the blood sugar level and causes insulin release."

that's patently false, as measured by people who've actually measured the response to fruit. Many fruits are actually relatively low-glycemic. "Taste" is not an indicator. Beef can raise insulin response more than raw sugar. Newsflash: just because something can be easily demonstrated by scientific methods, doesn't mean it's "wrong" or a "conspiracy by the man"."
==============================
This is so far off the mark that I have to ask which studies show each of these particular things: 1. Fruit doesn't affect blood sugar 2. beef triggers a higher insulin response than sugar.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783563/

When you look at the chemical composition of fruit and how it's digested, this is hardly a surprise. Unfortunately, the affects of high-fructose processed foods seemed to have completely colored people's understanding of fruit's affect on blood sugar and insulin levels.

With regard to the study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783563/

This study does not show what you have stated above. Rather, it is an observational study that compares people's fasting blood panel(s) to their self-reported dietary intake.

If you have access to a glucose meter, you can easily prove to yourself that blood glucose rises (and therefore insulin rises) when you eat fruit. Just take a "before" sample, eat a serving of fruit, wait 45 minutes & take an after sample. Do the same with a serving of meat (with the same # of calories) and compare the result.

If I could afford to I would increase my fruits and vegetables consumption.Junk food diet is cheaper than fruit/vegetable diet.
frown.gif

Yes but raw foods are harder for many people to digest, like me, for instance.

Copper/Zinc balance is, IMHO, EXTREMELY important for longevity. Low Cu can cause things like aneurysms and strokes, and probably heart disease as well. Do all you can do to maintain good levels and balance of Cu/Zn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back