FRUIT: ITS HEALTH BENEFITS AND PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
He sounds like a fruit cake.
smile.gif

touche

I would think that overeating anything would be harmful to a person. The biggest weakness of the article is the switching from "OVEReating" to "eating" in its text.

People have a need for a wide variety of nutrients and sticking to one particular group of foods diminishes the chance of exposure to all these nutrients.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
We really need a subforum for quack health stories and conspiracy theories. This is just absurd.

It's a common response when people have never heard of such views [ridicule, name calling, etc.]. Fact is, there are people in the world that benefit form his theories.

I disagree with many of you, but I don't call you a quack, or an idiot, or any other name.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
We really need a subforum for quack health stories and conspiracy theories. This is just absurd.

You wouldn't call him a quack if you had health issues that were non responsive to allopathic medicines. In that case, you'd probably appreciate him and would call allopathic MDs quacks.

Sounds absurd to closed minded people that have never heard of people with complicated health issues that have to look beyond the family MD. Consider yourself lucky that you don't seem to have that type of health problem.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

Originally Posted By: Scoot_4_20

All truth passes through three stages.

IF what he claims is in fact truth. Is it? He states "However, in clinical experience over 30 years, we find that eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people." So, where are the actual results of clinical test studies? Have proper tests been conducted? On what scale? How much fruit were they eating? I don't want his anecdotal evidence. It's very easy to manipulate and nitpick facts to support your desired conclusion.

Quote:
others who eat or have eaten a lot of fruit

Well sure, and next thing we know he'll define "a lot" as 20 lbs of oranges a day. As has been noted by previous posters, anything consumed in excessive quantities may pose issues. He hasn't exactly discovered sliced bread here.

Is it possible that some people do not tolerate fruits as well as others? I'm sure it's possible. But would I go as far as stating that "eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people"?

Realistically speaking, every year there is some study "proving" that this and that may be harmful to your health. Then, the following year another study comes out and "proves" just the opposite. Personally, I don't have much trust in any of them. Can you blame me?

”There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is condemnation without investigation.”

Herbert Spencer

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

All truth passes through three stages.

IF what he claims is in fact truth. Is it?

It's his opinion. It doesn't matter if it's fact or fable, the way most of you responded to it reminds me a lot of the 3 stages truth passes through quote, and the condemnation w/o investigation quote.

And this "investigation" is what I'm asking for.
smile.gif

I wish you all the best in abandoning fruit from your diet. Just hope and pray that whatever food you replace it with is not deemed deadly by some quack tomorrow.

Thanks. I eat so many whole foods that I'd probably be OK without fruit. I'll eat fruit again, but hopefully won't gorge on it, because if I do, then I may lose interest in other more important foods like proteins and vegetables.

That makes perfect sense. IMO, the key to health is a balanced diet and moderation combined with exercise. I myself am guilty of not exercising enough.

I thought it might be worth a read. He works with some quite sensitive people, so this may not apply to many people, I don't know. I read his article years before I ever cut back on fruit.
smile.gif

There's a world of difference between this:

He works with some quite sensitive people, so this may not apply to many people, I don't know.

and this:

However, in clinical experience over 30 years, we find that eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
There's a world of difference between this:

He works with some quite sensitive people, so this may not apply to many people, I don't know.

and this:

However, in clinical experience over 30 years, we find that eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people.

That's my thought exactly, scoot. You keep saying that we'd be singing a different tune if we were those whom he's referencing, but "most" of us are not. I have some sensitivities, but they're specific to those specific items, not whole food groups.

If he's a reputable doctor, then he should reference studies or give specific examples. He speaks in generalities. It's not wrong to attack such articles as quackery, because, when some one who is in his position of authority writes something and makes it public, people take notice - you obviously have. It's up to each of us as individuals to do our own research, but, IMHO, it's up to people like him to provide factual data to back up his theory. Otherwise, he's just trying to sell a fad, and that's whack, err, um, quack!

He's at least age 60, and I doubt he's trying to sell a fad. He's an alternative MD, not a "reputable doctor". I don't read things by "reputable doctors". I went past that stage eons ago. I don't want to go there.

He doesn't "reference studies". He does his own unique thing. He's not looking to be the October centerfold of the JAMA. This is all mainstream, allopathic / FDA / AMA / EPA stuff that he nor I haven't had anything to do with in many years.
He's been singing the same tune for all of the 10 or 12 years I've known of him. He's a diet perfectionist and what he preaches is what he eats. It works good with his body and apparently many others'.

I used to consult him with diet and he did 2 or 3 hair mineral tests with me and we tried to balance my minerals, but it seemed like I was chasing my tail after a while.

To each his own. I respect him for the odd claims he makes. He makes good points on some things, while many things I disagree with him on. He has a *ton* of info on his website.
smile.gif

OK, where are some facts that back this up?

"However, in clinical experience over 30 years, we find that eating fruit is extremely harmful for most people."

That's a bold statement with absolutely NOTHING to back it up. The only thing I found is statements that fruit is yin and not yang and various other claims with nothing to back them up!

I think you missed my point when I mentioned the word "reputable." Let's forget that word and start thinking along the lines of the claims he's making. I'm all for different view points and schools of thought. I'm not so closed minded to think that I know all, nor that any of the other "reputable" doctors do, either. Philosophies change, and they mostly do to suit the majority.

Again, my problem with your post starts with the fact that you have it in ALL CAPS, as if you have some breaking news to share that might save our lives. It then carries over to how he presents himself. He doesn't present an option for some who have specific needs or sensitivities. He makes it seems as if MOST of us are doing ourselves harm, which seems wildly inaccurate.

Last edited:
The caps were on his site, where I copied it from. I didn't think to type it in low case. That's just the way I copied it.

He makes good points on his website. I don't want to pay for his services, but his info is there for anyone that would like to read it.

Feel free to email Helen and ask to have it deleted if it would make you feel better.

Drew -

He has clinical experience from treating 1000s of patients over the last 30+ years. While a lot of it may or may not apply to me, it seems to apply to many of his patients.

I think I've said all I have to say about this post. Take it or leave it, or ask the mods to trash it. I don't care any more.

In the 1960's a sugary cereal, glass of whole milk and OJ, white toast with butter, eggs and bacon were the way to get off to a good start in the morning; now most people avoid it like the plague. Shows how "expertise" changes thru the years.

He may have a point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back