front u-joints on F250 at South Main Auto

So I watched another YT from South Main Auto and they were doing the front u-joints. They blamed the almost seized up u-joints on lack of lubrication. Unsure what year but I think on my F250 there are no zerks on the u-joints. Without a zerk there is not much you can do except to replace when the u-joints go.
I don't think he really blamed it on that, just pointed out that there wasn't any in there.

Either way, no zerk, I guess you either replace them as soon as you notice them getting tight, or just wait for them to get that bad.

Still makes me glad to live in the south. Such a longer lifespan for parts. Although, that truck did seem to come apart pretty much drama free (well, except for a little extra yoke beating). No torch needed.

So I watched another YT from South Main Auto and they were doing the front u-joints. They blamed the almost seized up u-joints on lack of lubrication. Unsure what year but I think on my F250 there are no zerks on the u-joints. Without a zerk there is not much you can do except to replace when the u-joints go.
There is a build date split if they are or not for the 2015MY. If you shoot me your VIN, or last 8, I can see what it was supposed to come with. They are really easy to go check on the truck.

My 2008 most definitely has zerks on the front u-joints. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them on the joints in Eric's video too.

I'm adding this story to my long list of reasons to never buy a 4WD vehicle.
Well if you live much farther north than you do everytime it snows you will be glad you have 4WD.

My 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 could not get out of its own way when there was snow or ice.

Plus hard to sell a 2WD pickup in some areas.

I run non regreasable u-joints on my ‘96 F250 and have not had any issues in spite of some pretty rough duty. There is a common belief that sealed u-joints actually last longer because the seals are made better and moisture and other contaminants have a harder time getting into the joint. They are also stronger since they don’t have grease passageways. I can’t say for sure that this is all correct but I don’t have any evidence to the contrary.

Would it seize up from just not using the 4x4, or do those bits turn regardless. If the latter, the truck must have been off the road a few months.
The front axles should theoretically not spin when not in 4WD. They aren't being driven by the front driveshaft and there wouldn't be a vacuum seal or manual lock. FWIW I cycle my truck through 4HI and 4LO monthly and will cycle the lockouts monthly. I even bought an extension tool for them since on a dually it is a PITA to get to them.

Also fascinating that on my truck, the front axle u-joints are greasable but the front and rear driveshaft u-joints are sealed. So knowing how manufacturers will do the cheapest possible, there must be a reason why Ford went with greasable u-joints on the front.

If you've got an automatic switching system that's traction sensitive (Autotrac/ControlTrac), disabling it at the hub kinda defeats the purpose?
My F250 has a dash switch for 2WD /4WD High/4 WD Lo.

It's unlikely I would need 4WD in the summer given my current activities. So if flipping the hubs would have less wear & tear on front end (like the front differential) then I would consider doing that.

In my case I cannot use 4WD on dry payment. Too many things are locked up and the truck creaks and groans. There needs to be some slippage between the tires and road.

Back