front crankshaft seal blows out instantly after valve cover gasket replace

2004 toyota highlander 4cyl high miles 220k . replaced long overdue leaking valve cover gasket and after finish started car and got instant lifter ticks. never did this before and always ran quiet and smooth. looked under car and oil was pouring out front of engine. from front crank seal. could have resealing the valve cover gasket cause an increase in crankcase pressure an d caused the worn crank seal to give out suddenly? this car has the infamous oil burning engine and has used oil since 150k and would expect some serious blowby by now

Blowby had to go somewhere. The valve cover gasket was apparently the path of least resistance and you fixed it and the crank seal was next. For this to happen something must be wrong with the PCV circuit. Fixing the PCV problem first might have stopped the VCG leak. Stinks when you fix something little and it turns into something bigger.

the valve cover gasket was the original. it was rock hard when i removed it. also this car was once driven 8000 miles with 9 qts of oil in it when my wife let a friend borrow it for a few months. this couldnt have been good for any of the seals

i replaced pcv valve a few years ago . will check it to see if clogged.

Did you use an OEM or aftermarket PCV valve? Only use OEM PCV valves

Even though you replaced it a few years ago, it's on the valve cover, so worth replacing if you pull the valve covers :unsure:

If there is that much blow by, the rings may be stuck. Force feed your choice of snake oil (Berrymans) down the intake while running. Some in the fuel tank. Discard the PCV valve, plug the hose, and install an old style vented oil breather cap and drive it till it drops.

Did you use an OEM or aftermarket PCV valve? Only use OEM PCV valves

Even though you replaced it a few years ago, it's on the valve cover, so worth replacing if you pull the valve covers :unsure:
yes i will replace it again. tomorrow i am gunking the engine so i can get a better look at the leak and see if oil pan gasket needs replaced while it getting other seal replaced. at 230 k due for an h20 pump i would think also

My understanding of PCV systems is this should never happen. There should be a vent hose [or fresh air hose] from the valve cover that runs from the valve cover to the a part of the intake plumbing between the throttle plate and air filter. This hose is normally unrestricted. In other words, the crankcase is always vented to atmosphere. Perhaps this hose somehow has become blocked.

Or the heads or so slugged it can’t vent
The OP’s engine, the 2AZ-FE isn’t known to sludge but Toyotas tend to be hard on oil in general. If I was OP, I’d check for bad PCV as well as the hoses. The valve cover also has a baffle and passages as well.

everything under the valve cover is extremly clean . no sighn of sludge . some varnish staining . very clean for the miles. timming chain very tight still. washed engine in gunk . will run and look for the leak or leaks tomorrow. car has had 3-5k oci since new with super tech synth 10w 30

The OP’s engine, the 2AZ-FE isn’t known to sludge but Toyotas tend to be hard on oil in general. If I was OP, I’d check for bad PCV as well as the hoses. The valve cover also has a baffle and passages as well.
This is the infamous TOYOTA oil sludging problem !! I have seen the results with my own eyes, on many of these engines in toyota and lexus the sludge bakes under the valve covers and turns rock hard, you need a cold chisel to remove it. The problem is the oil fails to return to the oil pan and the engine seizes. TOYOTA Required proof of just one oil and filter change to install a new engine. in the OPs case its obvious that the crankcase is building pressure blowing out the new seal. Stuck rings will cause excessive blow by, my choice remove plugs pour in Seafoam and let it sit overnight, crank motor without spark plugs carefully, the cr@p will end up in the oil pan. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed.. Follow this with Full Synthetic oil and a cheap filter. Remove filter only and replace with another cheap filter, top up oil. Eventually you can drain oil and fill with full synthetic and your choice of premium filter !!

up date- its not the front seal leaking but cant find definitely where its comming from. some where on the right side of the front of engine. timming chain case ? this car has zero sludge! head is super clean. i may pull valve cover again and check the baffel it comes out with small screws. pcv valve is super clean and not stuck

Clean the area with brake cleaner then use an oil uv dye you can see with a black light. Just my own experience with these products i like the GM best.

ok -i found leak today. instead of putting car on ramps i took of right tire and could see much better. its the vvti solenoid. job is doable but you will be working blind and by feel only . went to toyota dealer-guess what that part is on nation wide backorder! so car will sit till part comes. no way am i using some junk from rock auto or autozone. oem only for me in an important part like this. car would not leak at cold start and on idle. but rev the engine and leak starts right away. makes sense now as throttle changes changes the valve timing and oil flows thru a diffent set of passages inside the valve. hopefully the lifter tick will be gone with the new valve.

ok -i found leak today. instead of putting car on ramps i took of right tire and could see much better. its the vvti solenoid. job is doable but you will be working blind and by feel only . went to toyota dealer-guess what that part is on nation wide backorder! so car will sit till part comes. no way am i using some junk from rock auto or autozone. oem only for me in an important part like this. car would not leak at cold start and on idle. but rev the engine and leak starts right away. makes sense now as throttle changes changes the valve timing and oil flows thru a diffent set of passages inside the valve. hopefully the lifter tick will be gone with the new valve.
Does the VVT solenoid have a gasket?

Is it possible that the gasket failed and the solenoid is OK?

Back