Front brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
Which would be the better choice of brake pad material for my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan front disks (what is OEM material?) so it will work as original?
Not the best, not the worst - closest to original feel and durability.
Thanks
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2016,grand+caravan,3.6l+v6,3353538,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684

I only use Akebono Ceramics when I replace brakes now on my own/family/friends vehicles. I have yet to be disappointed with brake feel and durability.

I bought a set of the Raybestos Element EHT3's for my Silverado, and was sorely disappointed.

The backing plates were stamped a smidgen too big, and fit way too tightly in the pad carriers. Unusable.

It is a shame that their quality control department seems to be non-existent.

Bought a set of pads from Advance (like what had been on it), and they fit fine. Live and learn.

Heavier vehicles usually do better with metallic and semi metallic pads. Ceramic is a softer material.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
I bought a set of the Raybestos Element EHT3's for my Silverado, and was sorely disappointed.

The backing plates were stamped a smidgen too big, and fit way too tightly in the pad carriers. Unusable.

Bought a set of pads from Advance (like what had been on it), and they fit fine. Live and learn.

I've installed about 2 dozen sets so far and haven't had any issues, but it's not uncommon for pads to need trimmed on the ears in my experience. Nothing a file or sanding disc can't fix in a few minutes.

I've posted at length about them in the past. Highlights, excellent pedal feel, lower dust than OR and even Akebono ACT pads, significantly better bite and feel compared to the Akebono pads in a back to back comparison, as long or longer lasting than OE friction, quiet. They're my go to pad for all brake jobs unless it's a budget pad slam or the customer insists on OE. Budget pad slams, lease returns etc gets whatever Rock Auto has the absolute cheapest, they're generally very dusty, sometimes noisy, but seem to still give good service life.

Akebono pads are great! They are always a good choice for a daily driver
smile.gif

You can also get Mopar pads which are the actual OE pads, as long as you don't get the ones that say "value line"

They also sell the Mopar rotors. If they are too expensive for you, Wagner's E-coated rotors are also good.

Does your van have 2-piston or single-piston calipers up front?

Originally Posted by mrsilv04

Funny you say that, I owned a 2004 sierra, and I encountered the same thing with several different brands of pads for that truck, front and rear. They all required grinding to fit properly within the shims. I wouldn't necessarily blame that on Raybestos EHT3's. I've had very good luck with those pads on other vehicles.

Akebono Proact are not the same as the Akebono OE, at least not for a 2008 Honda Civic.

Less than 25,000 miles on a front set of Proact, and they were wore slap out, and were actually starting to fall apart. Advance Auto gave me a set of their top of the line pads to warranty the Akebono. I was fine with that because I have had cheap semi-metallic go longer than Proact.

If they are available for my vehicle, I buy Wagner Severe Duty. If I can't get Wagner Severe Duty, then Raybestos Professional semi-metallic have been OK.

I don't like pads that come with shims that can be removed. Have had better luck with pads that have glued or staked on shims noise wise.

I've come to prefer the 300. series from Centric. They're not the cleanest, but they don't make noise and they give me the feel/performance I'm looking for. I use them across all 3 of our cars.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Does your van have 2-piston or single-piston calipers up front?

2 piston

ok
thumbsup2.gif

For your 2-piston calipers, you can get the OE Mopar pads and rotors for about $300:
pads: 68144163AF
rotors: 4779712AA or 4779712AB (the AA was replaced by the AB, but sometimes the old and new versions are available at the same time)

These will be closest to original because they are original
smile.gif

If that is too much, the Akebono pads with either the Durago or the Powerstop coated rotors will be around $150

For your Caravan, Wagner's coated rotors for the 2-piston calipers are priced too close to the OE Mopar rotors.

we have installed over a thousand sets of Akebono Proacts with zero complaints and on Rock Auto if they list the zinc coated Raybestos rotors I have had good luck with those also.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Which would be the better choice of brake pad material for my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan front disks (what is OEM material?

From your link:
"BENDIX CFC1589 Copper Free Ceramic; Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
Front; w/ Heavy Duty Brakes; w/ 328mm Rear Rotor; w/ Dual Piston Front Caliper; OE Pad Material Is Ceramic (Only 1 Remaining)

BENDIX CFC1596 Copper Free Ceramic; Hardware Included (Rebate/Promotion Available!) Sale! Info
Rear; w/ Heavy Duty Brakes; w/ 331.5mm Front Rotor; w/ Dual Piston Front Caliper; OE Pad Material Is Ceramic"

Same quote for the single piston. While RockAuto is not infallible, it seems both front and rear of your van's OEM pads are Ceramic.

Semi-metallic might be a better choice for towing or hauling heavy weight, especially if done all the time (e.g. a wheelchair lift van, conversion van, or family of 8 future football players).

But to answer your question about "better choice of brake pad material" you'd have to tell us what you'd like to be different than your OEM pads, and how you'll be using them, highway, city, hauling, towing, etc.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Raybestos Element EHT3

Agreed! I have had excellent results using these on my personal cars and customers.

Brake pads are like ice cream, over a million flavors.

Pad material must be carefully considered along with brake capacity and load. My sig car has huge rotors and 4 piston Brembo fixed calipers, you cannot use a ridiculous hard pad on it without issues unless you are actually on the road course. For normal street driving a softer pad provides smoothness and silence!

A small heavy vehicle with tiny brakes being driven hard like many import cars may need a pad rated pretty high/hard due to normal braking temps being quite high. But driven easily it might be better with a softer pad.

Get an infra red temp gun and check out your cars actual temps at each wheel after a normal run home. It's a great diagnostic tool as well as a way to see how much work those poor brakes are doing.

IME here during child rearing our minivans were VERY hard on front brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back