Front brake pad for 04 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am going to replace my front pads tonight on my '04 Civic with 40k on the clock. The OEM from the dealer are $62 plus tax. I can get Carquest brand premium ceramic for $35. Looking for input on which ones I should get. $62 from the dealer is kinda steep. I have the ceramic Carquest premium ones on my wife's Xterra, and they are great. I just don't know if they would suit well on a Civic. Thanks for any advice.

Jeepster,

I just finished pricing brake pads for my Caravan and $35 seems too low for Carquest's premium ceramic pads. My guess is that your price quote is for the 2nd. line down (quality wise). On my "newer" cars I tend to stay with the top premium line of any brand.

Hi, No that is the correct price. The gentleman on the phone said list is $60, but the actual price is $35. I asked if they were the Premium ceramic, and he said they were.

Sorry, no experience with those pads. IMO, the honda pads give too soft of a pedal feel and tend to fade easily. I currently have Performance Friction on my 04 Accord. They gave me better pedal feel, do not fade very easily and pull harder when hot. Just my opinion, FWIW.

I'd highly recommend getting a set of EBC "green stuff" brake pads. They are of a more aggressive material and deliver better "bite" compared to the OEM pads. They also clean-up residual pad material from the old rotors fairly well. $57 set shipped from Auto Parts Warehouse.

the CarQuest pads are really good. the cost seems right considering average customer list vs what shops actually pay. ive have a few hondas where we put on cheaper pads and they come back for noises, put onthe CarQuest premium and the noises go away.

i wouldve considered them for my car but they do nto make pads for my caliper (Brembo/Dodge Viper/Lotus).

Probably close in price to the OEs, but Akebono ProACTs (ceramics) have worked excellent in the Honda applications I've done. Great cold bite, very linear torque, firm pedal with great modulation, and no fade with hard stops on the street. Akebono and Nissin are OE suppliers for lots of Asian car models. While I agree that price shopping for generic car parts is preferable, with safety pieces like brakes I'll happily spend more on parts that work better than cheaper ones.

Well, I picked up the carquest pads, went home and to my surprise found the original OEM pads still had 50% remaining. I put the wheels back on and went and returned the pads. The car is a highway use only car, which is probably why I don't need pads yet. 40,000 miles on originals~not bad.
Sure I could have just gone ahead and replaced them while I was there, but I looked on the receipt and the guy behind the counter accidentally gave me pads for an Accord. So they had to go back to the store anyways. Glad I didnt need pads

Ooops. Wrong pads? Time to find another parts store.

I won't use our local Carquest. Nothing but problems for me.

Quote:

Well, I picked up the carquest pads, went home and to my surprise found the original OEM pads still had 50% remaining. I put the wheels back on and went and returned the pads. The car is a highway use only car, which is probably why I don't need pads yet. 40,000 miles on originals~not bad.
Sure I could have just gone ahead and replaced them while I was there, but I looked on the receipt and the guy behind the counter accidentally gave me pads for an Accord. So they had to go back to the store anyways. Glad I didnt need pads

I considered asking the question as to how many miles you had on your '04 Civic. Because if it was less than the 51K miles I have on my '04 then I would have been very surprized you needed new pads. Unless it was alot of stop and go driving. 2 months ago when I checked mine they we less than 50% worn.
cheers.gif

I will have to check them again in 20k miles. I suppose that the Civic is not the car to own if one likes to tinker and do maintenance. No dist. cap, no rotor, no ignition wires, no fuel filter, 110k mile spark plugs. Glad I have it...

Quote:

I will have to check them again in 20k miles. I suppose that the Civic is not the car to own if one likes to tinker and do maintenance. No dist. cap, no rotor, no ignition wires, no fuel filter, 110k mile spark plugs. Glad I have it...

For sure.

Do oil/filter changes at OCI of your choice up to 10K miles.
Change air filter every 30K miles.
Change coolant every 12 - 18 months.
Change ATF every 30K if automatic, change MTF every 50K if manual.

That's about it. I do plan on pulling the spark plugs at 60K just to check them.

i use Satisfied Brake Pads: Pro Ceramic pads on my honda's and they've been great. nothing bad to say as of 10k miles.

I have AEM Nissin pads (Kevlar-ceramic) for about 35 000 km now...they're fantastic and almost the same price of oem honda pads...no fade...better bite...

For the fiancee's 94 integra, we liked the autozone duralast gold better than the Napa and OE pads...

Certainly an apples to oranges thing... but maybe not as much as one would think - an integra is a glorified civic!

Give those duralas gold pads a thought - they are GG friction rated!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back