Front brake job soon question

Hi,
My 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE Value Edition will probably need front brakes within the next 5,000 miles or so. We have several very respected independent shops in my area that I can use for the service. but how do I ensure the shop I choose will use top quality pads and maybe rotors? Or is it best to use my local Hyundai dealer for front brakes? I really want to be sure whoever does the service, uses quality pads and possibly rotors too. Are the OEM hyundai pads and rotors the dealer would use be any better quality that a respected independent shop?
Thanks

Reactions: JTK
Depends on who you choose to do the job. the dealer will probably cost more, but they will put pads and rotors that may possibly last longer. Did you get quotes for prices?

I guess changing brakes is something that you are not comfortable with?

Just have the dealer install new pads and resurface the rotors with an on-car lathe. Better result and less expensive than most independent shops. Most independent shops will install mid-grade aftermarket pads and rotors for a higher price than the dealer's fix.

In this part of the country it doesn't make sense to resurface rotors due to the rust. And many placed just don't lathe rotors any longer. Over here, if we're(if I were to) take off the rotors to machine them, I'm just going to replace them.

Find a local shop you trust that will use parts you supply. Then you can determine the quality of the parts, by doing your homework. Just understand shops do make money on parts they provide, so they might charge additional to compensate for that. There are two shops near me that are happy for the work, and will be glad to use customer supplied parts. For something like a brake job there should be no problem. OTOH something like a clutch job, requiring a rear main seal, if you supply the parts and the RMS leaks, they can easily blame the parts you supplied and not warranty their work, [and I wouldn't blame them]. Having said that, if you decided to go this route, understand the risk you take, even if they screwed up the job, and the parts you supplied weren't the problem.

flinter, like critic said, my experience is independent shops will use decent mid grade brake parts that they can get from their usual sources that day. If you want something special, you have to ask them ahead of time.

If you live in the rust belt, those OEM rotors are likely toast. A dealer or chain place *might* turn them on or off the vehicle, but it's unlikely if she sees winter conditions. Dealers will use OEM parts unless you specify. Most will use aftermarket if you request it.

You like to think any shop will do a good job given how critical brakes are and they don't want return visits associate with them.

To me, it's more about the attention given to the job than the brand or 'quality' of the parts. Did they clean up all metal/metal contact points well? Did they clean and re-lube all parts that require it? Again, you like to think all will be well with a good independent shop or dealer service.

As a reference point, I was recently quoted ~$307 for a rear pad and rotor job on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder from a good local shop. My FIL paid about $330 to have rear pads/rotors replaced on his 2019 Nissan Rogue through the Nissan dealer. Point being, their isn't a huge price difference between dealer and regular shops. Go with who you like. For my pathfinder, I'll be doing the work myself for less than 1/3 of the cost with mail order white box, no-name parts.

The OP is from the Garden State where they have snow and ice and almost certainly the highway dept uses salt.

So coated rotors would be a good idea. Not sure OEM rotors are coated.

I would ask a indy to get (or allow you to bring in) Akebono ProAct pads and Wagner coated rotors. They are as good or better than OEM.

Ask to see old pads. If the pads are worn unevenly you may need to have pads cleaned and lubed on a yearly basis. That's part of living in the rust belt.

Reactions: JC1
Only new rotors for me. Resurfacing labor and wasted time along with thinner (easier to warp) rotors makes no sense. With that being said - don't ask us ask the shop what exact brand of brake parts they are going to use. Most shops use Raybestos R-Line or just whatever is available from thier parts source. You have to specify what you want in the job. My shop takes pride and I don't use cheap brakes. I use Raybestos Element 3 pads and coated rotors on everything and good ceramic brake lubricant. I also use Duralast Gold if Raybestos is not available and on occasion Akebono....point is I don't use value grade parts that a lot of shops use to increase their profit margin.

Just ask the shops what they use and explain you want the best parts available and let them bid.

Find a local shop you trust that will use parts you supply. Then you can determine the quality of the parts, by doing your homework. Just understand shops do make money on parts they provide, so they might charge additional to compensate for that. There are two shops near me that are happy for the work, and will be glad to use customer supplied parts. For something like a brake job there should be no problem. OTOH something like a clutch job, requiring a rear main seal, if you supply the parts and the RMS leaks, they can easily blame the parts you supplied and not warranty their work, [and I wouldn't blame them]. Having said that, if you decided to go this route, understand the risk you take, even if they screwed up the job, and the parts you supplied weren't the problem.
This is what I’d do if I couldn’t do the change myself. OEM or better pads, I recall not to long ago a buddy of mine paying decent money (it all seems like a rip off to me since I’ve been doing brakes for so long) to have brake pads and rotors swapped and they put on some get in the zone auto zone organics in. Keep in mind if you supply parts and they fail then you’re footing the bill to replace them. Not a bad idea to ask what it would cost with Hyundai pads.

Back