From small things...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my daughters is a solo mum, and we look after her daughter as she works weekends. Down to pick her up last week, they stayed overnight with an old friend, also a solo mum a couple of towns north. They went shopping the next day. Although we have no law, the major supermarkets are jumping the gun and banning single use plastic bags. So, her friend is using plastic bags. ''Hey, where is your reusable bag ?''...'Oh, um....' ''Grrrr, well I'll bloody well make you one !''

So a bag was duly made, and ended up online...and then people are wanting one. My daughter is a dressmaker, but that is not how she earns a living, her friend has marketing skills, but not what she does. So, now, in a week it has got out of hand, they are even exporting - to the South Island and Australia. My wife was out tonight, and has orders for 8 kits, that's 48 bags ! My daughter's flatmate has a graphics business, he has designed a logo, and printed off fabric labels. There is a Facebook page. All this in a week.

Here is Smokey Joe checking them out...in this small bag are 6 full size shopping bags, they roll up with a tie. I asked Smokey if he'd like one...he said he'd sleep on a it. A joke for the cat people...

Silk,
that's very clever, and right at the pointy end of what's happening.

Our plastic bags are banned too this week (amazing coincidence, eh ?).

So now I have to buy bags with the singular purpose of throwing them out

Nice to see a success story, especially for a single mom.

Some Canadian grocers charge for plastic bags.

I've been getting into the habit of using reusable bags. It reduces the mess of dealing with plastic bags at home.

Don't forget to wash them often if used for grocery shopping.

Nice looking bag. Good luck to her new business.

Our grocery takes their boxes and stacks them out front. So I grab those when I go shopping, unless if I need some doggie poo bags.

A lady in Vermont takes scraps from the awning and outdoor furniture shop (recovering the outdoor pillows) she works at and makes strong, GREAT LOOKING reusable bags.

Just makes plain, inarguable sense to reuse things. Good job!

The dippy-doos who resist these developments really irk me.
Over here, "I gotta right to have and to be supplied single use bags", is one way the conversation could go.

TO Shannow: Cats only like bags-boxes-drawers they can climb into.

My "single use" bags brought the groceries home.
Then packed my lunch for work

Then either collected the use kitty litter; or
Lined the kitchen bin/tidy to gather the junk before going into the bin.

"single use"...used three times.

Now I need to buy bags to put the kitty litter in, or line the kitchen tidy.

Interested in how you do either of those last two items...always willing to learn, you know.

Originally Posted By: Silk
One of my daughters is a solo mum, and we look after her daughter as she works weekends. Down to pick her up last week, they stayed overnight with an old friend, also a solo mum a couple of towns north. They went shopping the next day. Although we have no law, the major supermarkets are jumping the gun and banning single use plastic bags. So, her friend is using plastic bags. ''Hey, where is your reusable bag ?''...'Oh, um....' ''Grrrr, well I'll bloody well make you one !''.....

Fabulous! Good for them and good for the planet at the same time.
thumbsup2.gif

I spend a fair amount of time in the work truck , including meas from fast food places and / or fruit from the grocery store .

I hang a plastic grocery bag on the gear shift lever & use it as a trash bag . When full , remove it , tye the top and throw it into the dumpster or trash can .

Cute looking sack & I wish them well in the new business ! :)

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
They haven't "banned" the single use plastic bag here but they make you buy it for $0.05 if you forgot your own bag.
Someone is making a bunch of money .....

Cool tote !!

Some cities in Quebec are outright banning the 5 cent bags. It really triggers me when I buy stuff and forgot to bring bags and am either forced to dump stuff from cart to car individually or buy 1$ re usable bags. Nothing against the environment but these laws are extreme. Pretty sure they make biodegradable/compostable bags. Id like to know where the profits of the 5 cent bags go?

I went back home to Oregon about 6 months ago. Hadn't been back in a while. Found out my town of 15,000 people is one of the first in the state to ban plastic grocery bags entirely. I was very confused when I went to the grocery store. They had no plastic bags. I had half a cart of items and the lady asked me if I wanted a bag? I thought "no, I'll just put all this in my pocket". After I said yes to the bag she charged me $0.10 each for 3 paper bags. I guess most of the locals use the reusable bag but certainly not something I'm going to pack in a suitcase.

I thought it was weird this town of all places would be the first to do that. Or just weird in general. If you want to reuse your bags go right ahead, just don't force me to use them.

Has it really been that long since they asked "paper or plastic?"???!

Originally Posted By: Shannow
My "single use" bags brought the groceries home.
Then packed my lunch for work

Then either collected the use kitty litter; or
Lined the kitchen bin/tidy to gather the junk before going into the bin.

"single use"...used three times.

We have developed statergies for using plastic bags too, my wife even washes them...just looked out and counted 6 hanging on the washing line. In one of the kitchen draws are small boxes of plastic bags, labeled by size, I you need a bag, just pick the size you need. They are not going to disapear overnight, but there will be less of them to go around.

My daughter has a large collection of fabric, stuff she'll use...someday. The day has come, and this is what they are using for the bags. So before it runs out, they will have to find fabric to recycle...the next project for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back