From M1 HM 10W40 to AMSOIL ZROD 10W40 95 JAGUAR

Your engine is “flat tappet” in the same way a brand new ecoboost v6 is. It can use any oil on the shelf
Honestly how many V12 or I6 Jags have you ever heard getting junked because the cam got eaten to pieces vs literally anything else on the car failing

Your engine is “flat tappet” in the same way a brand new ecoboost v6 is. It can use any oil on the shelf
Agreed, the “flat tappet” boogey man juat doesn’t apply here, nor does it in most of these discussions. I’d watch the grade but then I always watch that.

Last edited:
Honestly how many V12 or I6 Jags have you ever heard getting junked because the cam got eaten to pieces vs literally anything else on the car failing
Hardly any…..I imagine because the guys that own these are running 20w50 or 10w40 and the ZDDP is now just very recently going below 1000?

It doesn’t matter.
So ZDDP does not matter in my engine with flat tappets ? Why? This is a AJ16 engine, which is really a developed AJ6 from the early-mid 1980’s. Are you saying it’s untrue that flat tappet engines need ZDDP on the levels common in the 80’s and 90’s , or that my particular engine does not require it?

So ZDDP does not matter in my engine with flat tappets ? Why? This is a AJ16 engine, which is really a developed AJ6 from the early-mid 1980’s. Are you saying it’s untrue that flat tappet engines need ZDDP on the levels common in the 80’s and 90’s , or that my particular engine does not require it?
Millions of engines in brand new cars are still flat tappet from toyota to ford to mercedes. Your engine does not need 1100ppm of ZDDP, it will do 300k on bulk oil no problem.

Last edited:

He means that it doesn't matter that levels are below 1000ppm.

They didn't just cut on ZDDP. On most PCMOs the lower level ZDDP has been compensated by additional e.g. Mo, B, Ti and/or W compounds. I'd gladly trade 200 ppm of Boron for 200 ppm Zn and P less. It has been done for a reason and it's called progress.

They didn't just cut on ZDDP. On most PCMOs the lower level ZDDP has been compensated by additional e.g. Mo, B, Ti and/or W compounds. I'd gladly trade 200 ppm of Boron for 200 ppm Zn and P less. It has been done for a reason and it's called progress.
Thank you for your reply.

“Progress” is no measure of certainty of improvement. Specially for an engine that can’t evolve or adapt to it.

Either my type of engine requires the API SH levels of ZDDP available when it was produced, or it does not. I suppose I need to pursue that question further with the people at Jaguar Classic.

thanks

Thank you for your reply.

“Progress” is no measure of certainty of improvement. Specially for an engine that can’t evolve or adapt to it.

Either my type of engine requires the API SH levels of ZDDP available when it was produced, or it does not. I suppose I need to pursue that question further with the people at Jaguar Classic.

thanks
I suppose you do considering you steadfastly choose not to listen to anything being stated here.

this is is mr cam lobe

mr cam lobe is happy even after 200,000 miles of work

little does he know the oil he’s being fed only has 1000ppm of zddp

Attachments

• A90F6DEC-CAF5-4291-BE10-9AC9C211E410.jpeg
    A90F6DEC-CAF5-4291-BE10-9AC9C211E410.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 20
I suppose you do considering you steadfastly choose not to listen to anything being stated here.
On the contrary. This has been tremendously helpful. I am now trying to get a better understanding of how different a DOHC “flat tappet” engine is and researching it, simply because of the comments here. Thank you all.

But, so far, there have been several different things stated here. Including that I do need elevated ZDDP earlier in the topic, and also that I don’t. How do you propose I settle the matter other seeking more information from the manufacturer? Or was anyone here involved in the development of my particular engine? Any particular engine, for that matter?

As I said from the beginning, I would prefer to just stick to what I have been using successfully for 8 years now. I am simply concerned with the plummeting ZDDP in that product. I am not ignoring anyone’s advice. I just need to process it so I can make a good decision. Surely I am not the only guy in this forum who overthinks these things?

Last edited:
I think that sometimes people tend to over think things. I'd go with the same weight and brand you are using and not obsess about the ZDDP content. What does your owners' manual recommend? Unless you are running a 1940's SA rated oil, I wouldn't be worried about wear to the cams etc.

Back