From GMI: Saturn May Go To The Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Today news came out that General Motors is considering parting ways with Pontiac, Saturn and Saab. It’s no secret that GM will likely have to cut more of their eight U.S. brands if federal assistance is to be granted by Congress. Another aspect of the business that GM is very eager to cut is their debt. At last report, GM was sitting on about $43 Billion in debt, but sources tell GMI that very little of that debt is secured by assets. GMI has also been told, well before the grave financial news, that Pontiac’s future is shaky at best. However GMI is now hearing that if GM were to dispose of the Saturn division, they could kill two birds with one stone.

As mentioned, most of GM’s debt is unsecured, but according to an article from the Chicago Tribune states that GM has a $1.5 Billion and $4.5 Billion revolving loan that are both secured by “equipment and assets of the Saturn brand.” Prior to about a year ago, GM’s Spring Hill, TN assembly plant was essentially the Saturn plant. Back when the division was created in 1985, that assembly plant was Saturn’s home. GMI has heard that along with most of the Saturn brand, that Spring Hill, TN plant is also secured in the debt. Currently that plant builds one vehicle; the Chevrolet Traverse. Due to the dwindling market demand of vehicles period, one has to wonder if GM could not easily start building the Traverse where its cousins are built; at the newly built Lansing-Delta assembly plant that produces all the other Lambda crossovers. The whole reason Spring Hill was selected to build the Traverse was so that it would have the capacity to meet the projected demand.

As the rumors have suggested, GM brass is looking at dumping Saturn. The interesting twist is that GMI is told GM is looking at working with the banks that GM has that debt secured with to take possession of Saturn. That would leave GM with one less brand and several billion dollars less in debt; secured debt at that. However it sounds as if it would leave them with one less assembly plant as well.

What would happen to Saturn if the banks took over the brand is largely unknown. Its assumed that the banks would sell Saturn to the highest bidder; which may not be an easy task in this global economy.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/gmi-exclusive-saturn-may-go-bank-71991/#post1576745

While it's obviously unconfirmed by official sources, it doesn't seem unlikely, either. Saturn has failed to do its job for a quite a while.

How do you folks feel about this? Does Saturn deserve another chance? Or can GM do without Saturn?

GM only needs two divisions: Chevrolet and Cadillac.

The days are long gone when multiple overlapping brands could be justified.

I am puzzled. I am not familiar with all GM brands, but I thought Saturn covers smaller/cheaper/fuel efficient vehicles. This is exactly what US gov and the US market wants them to build. Hence should they not keep Saturn and even focus on it more than ever???????

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
I am puzzled. I am not familiar with all GM brands, but I thought Saturn covers smaller/cheaper/fuel efficient vehicles. This is exactly what US gov and the US market wants them to build. Hence should they not keep Saturn and even focus on it more than ever???????

They use to be, they are now the euro inspired brand.

This was recently referenced in another thread. The Saturn line is now basically the American equivalent of the Opel brand. Apparently they're not selling well, or well enough to warrant the cost of keeping the line up and running.

Saturn has been dead to me (and most original Saturn owners) when they got away from their original concept of a completely independent car manufacturer that was distributed by GM. When they were absorbed back into the general line we all heard the death chimes.

axe buick and GMC. Buicks are not in demand. They could axe Pontiac and absorb some of their models into the Chevy lineup. get rid of the G5 (cobalt) and the G6 (malibu) Move the Pontiac vibe into the chevy lineup. So that would be 3 brands there, Buick, GMC, and Pontiac. That's alot of job layoffs though.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
axe buick and GMC. Buicks are not in demand. They could axe Pontiac and absorb some of their models into the Chevy lineup. get rid of the G5 (cobalt) and the G6 (malibu) Move the Pontiac vibe into the chevy lineup. So that would be 3 brands there, Buick, GMC, and Pontiac. That's alot of job layoffs though.

From what I've read the Buicks are outselling the Pontiacs and Saturns. Buick has been a consistent best selling marque since day one.

Problem is it takes billions to take out brands. It cost something like 2 billion for gm to get rid of Oldsmobile.

Actually to be more accurate, Saturn is selling rebadged Opels. The Astra is actually in Germany by Opel, the L-series was assembled by Saturn but was built in large part in Germany. The ION/Cobalt/G5-Pursuit is built off Opels Vectra? platform, the Aura/Malibu is built on Opels Epsilon platform. Saturn has built a Saturn since 2002. Regarding fuel mileage the ION was considerably better on fuel then the Astra that replaced it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wapacz

Problem is it takes billions to take out brands. It cost something like 2 billion for gm to get rid of Oldsmobile.

Yeah, but if GM files bankruptcy, they can drop the brands without paying 2 billion??

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/while-america-slept-sunday-november-30-2008/

Buick or bust: From the U.K., the Financial Times weighs in on the Detroit debate about D.C. dollar donations: “Congressmen mulling this request might want to visit their local Buick dealership. They should have no trouble finding one, with 2,751 nationwide the last time the National Automobile Dealers Association counted, more than double those selling Toyotas. As a result, only 88 Buicks a year are sold per dealer versus 1,821 for Toyota. Barring Chapter 11, multiple brands and excess dealerships can only be remedied with billions in dealer buy-outs due to state protection, as seen with Oldsmobile.”

How much would it cost to send out a few thousand of these letters?
Quote:

Dear Pontiac, SATURN, GMC, Buick (pick whichever is applicable to you) dealer,

A downturn in business has forced us to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Thank you for your loyal support and good luck in any new business ventures you try.

Regards,

The General.

Most of the badge engineered GM cars are close enough under the skin that maintenance at remaining GM dealers shouldn't be an issue. Any money spent on decommissioning the car lines should be spent taking care of customers so they don't lose all of them for ever.

I would like to see them cut back to Chevrolet (cars only), GMC (trucks only) and Cadillac. Most non-US major car companies get by with one or two brands of car, no reason US mfrs couldn't too.

I could sort of see Buick being kept. Might be able to combine Buick dealerships with funeral homes. Buy a Buick and reserve a plot at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Actually to be more accurate, Saturn is selling rebadged Opels. The Astra is actually in Germany by Opel,

To be even more accurate, the Saturn Astra is built by GM in Belgium.

One low production Opel, the Opel GT is actually built in Delaware and is a badge engineered version of a Saturn.

Originally Posted By: XS650

I could sort of see Buick being kept. Might be able to combine Buick dealerships with funeral homes. Buy a Buick and reserve a plot at the same time.

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

The new line of Buicks models could have inspiring names like

- Amigone
- Exxit DeLuxe
- Eterna
- Specter
- Grand Finale Wagon

An elderly relative of my wife's just bought a Buick and she refers to it as the "death car" (last car purchase before death). Grand Finale Wagon fits that perfectly!

John

Isn't Buick a big brand in China. In other words what I am saying it would probably be a a bad idea to sell off the brand.

Any ways what really needs to be done is congress need to give them money but at the same time make them basically go through bankruptcy with out calling it bankruptcy. Call it American Auto Restructuring bill or something.

Last edited:
Isn't Buick a big brand in China. In other words what I am saying it would probably be a a bad idea to sell off the brand.

No problem with brands in other countries. I was only referring to the US market. AFAIK, Chinese Buicks aren't the same cars as US Buicks. It should have no impact on the US market.

The big danger for the Chinese market is that the Chinese a very superstitious people, particularly about death. Once they find out that the name Buick is associated with the end of life in the the US, sales in China will plummet.

Last edited:
Quote:
As a result, only 88 Buicks a year are sold per dealer versus 1,821 for Toyota.

TnS, That's an eye opener.
shocked2.gif

I had no idea it was that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back