from bmw syn 5w30 to penn ultra 5w40 results

Status
Not open for further replies.
changed brand and sae in my 2010 X5M @44500mi .immediately noted during first drive, engine seemed to run smoother but what can be seen is 15-20 degrees lower oil temps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhorse554
changed brand and sae in my 2010 X5M @44500mi .immediately noted during first drive, engine seemed to run smoother but what can be seen is 15-20 degrees lower oil temps.

So are you saying Penn ultra 5w40 is more responsive in the vehicle than the Bmw syn 5w30 ?

More info required like mileage and typical driving conditions etc

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I highly doubt this since my M3 has the same temp whether it's 50F out or 95F and I switched from 10W60 to 0W40.

In the winter, my M3 definitely showed different temps when I switched from TWS to M1 0w40 (I'd say 10-15 degrees). Now that it's summer, there's no difference.

wouldn't say eng more responsive... ave. mpg since new 13.9. have recorded 17.9 on extended trips. uses zero make up oil between oil changes. all oil samples sent to blackstone. results very good with bmw 5w30. didn't expect lower oil temps but that's what my gage is reflecting. now after several trips, reading 10-15 degrees min. lower.
a very 'fun' animal to drive.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I find it hard to believe that the oil temps would be that much lower.

I agree, if anything the heavier oil could result in somewhat higher oil temp's. I think something else is at play here.
What were the before and after oil temp's?

after eng reaching op temp, 190*. thats been the norm temp for 44k mi, even driving in 107* in vegas. first 50>75 miles with ultra, temps were down 15-20* @ 80+ temps. today, closer to 5>10* lower. engine noise no doubt lower. eng oil temps have reached 210*+ during really hard driving , lots of passing SF to LA, with 5w30 bmw syn.
changed to ulta 5w40 for three reasons;
son uses same oil after recommendations from Korean eng tuners for his 300hp kia.
bmw will switch to a ultra formulation next jan.
want better engine cleaniness vs bmw Castrol.

if you really want better oil performance use a group iv or v real synthetic, oils mentioned are prolly group III dino oil

ultra euro meets almost all spec's. and will be BMW's fill oil.
I've had lots of experience with motu v ; neo and redline all grp 6 and performed great in past vehicles. there's a big blog here on BOB's and the consensus thus far has been shell/pennz has a very good oil.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: benjy
if you really want better oil performance use a group iv or v real synthetic, oils mentioned are prolly group III dino oil

What's a "real synthetic"?

He probably meant something like Redline or Motul

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: benjy

What's a "real synthetic"?

my slip-up, oils I listed are all grp 5 ester based lubes, Not group 6. penz ultra euro pure will be classed a grp 6? natural gas to syn oil . motuls' esters were v , now double ester technology, some lines pao. should run that statement past dave at motul.
both neo(formally eon) is diester based and amzoil,in their early history, was diester based,amsoil these days a pao & or grp 3 based. redline is polyol.
Castrol's winning their court case with mobil changed what can be advertised as synthenic.
this subject has been hashed about on BOB's for years. advertising is what it is in 2014.

ultra euro meets almost all spec's. and will be BMW's fill oil.
I've had lots of experience with motu v ; neo and redline all grp 6 and performed great in past vehicles. there's a big blog here on BOB's and the consensus thus far has been shell/pennz has a very good oil.
smirk.gif

What is a grp 6 oil? This is the first time I've ever heard of group 6. I thought all those mentioned in your post were Group 5 base oils...

On edit, saw your most recent post,

my slip-up, oils I listed are all grp 5 ester based lubes, Not group 6. penz ultra euro pure will be classed a grp 6? natural gas to syn oil

So I'll mostly retract my ?'s, but I'll say all the GTL oils I've ever heard discussed were considered Group 3.

Last edited:
penz ultra euro pure will be classed a grp 6? natural gas to syn oil .

Nope. GTL falls under group 3. Some call it group 3+.

Still, the whole group thing classification is rather pointless. It's the MFG specs that matter. But if the higher group number gives you a woodie, so be it.

Quattro Pete is correct. the API has not added a group vi cat. the Europeans have adopted grp vi per the ATIEL industry. they call grp vi , polyinternalolefins(PIOs).performance similar to POAs. Patman posted an article by tim Sullivan that is in depth.
Molakuli has a post too , noting shell/pennz has their own term for PIOs.
oil temps remain 10 degrees lower, even in 102temps. agreed , manuf spec's are what counts.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
penz ultra euro pure will be classed a grp 6? natural gas to syn oil .

Nope. GTL falls under group 3. Some call it group 3+.

Still, the whole group thing classification is rather pointless. It's the MFG specs that matter. But if the higher group number gives you a woodie, so be it.

True,if it carry same spec's it sould be same.But it's like comparing a 2 litre sedans from IDK GM and BMW.They are both the same class but BMW will outperform probably in every aspect cheaper car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back