Friend's accident issue with Costco

Friend's brother had new tires installed at Costco. On the way home, a wheel came off. He was not hurt. Car was towed. Costco refunded and replaced wheel and tires, no charge. I assume tech was fired. I expect car to be checked by dealer for damage, which should be covered by Costco. He should be calling his lawyer.

Absolutely right. I haven't talked to my friend or his brother, for a follow up. I'm sure he contacted his insurance on this.

In this case assuming the individual wasn’t hurt they would just loop in your insurance company and have them deal with costco’s insurance provider, at least that’s what I’d do. I’m assuming the owner wants indemnification for the damage inflicted on vehicle not a life time of free soft serve or churros. Getting your insurance company involved even at a cursory level won’t jack up rates and often times will make the wrongful party work in a more expedient and cooperative manner.

OT: what's the issue; no one hurt, costco stepping up. The complicating issue is why are you trying to goad him into doing anything with a lawyer; plenty of BITOG'rs might support this, but really, where is the injustice?

I am curious as to why the owner of the vehicle did not check the work before leaving? I go over any repair or R&R on a vehicle that involves tires/wheels, steering, brakes, chassis, or suspension. At the tire shops I insist they use a toque wrench and I grab lug nuts before driving off.

Please do not take this as a criticism. I was always taught and under the impression to check and double check my own repairs as well as others. I am happy the outcome was without injury.

Reactions: CKN
OT: what's the issue; no one hurt, costco stepping up. The complicating issue is why are you trying to goad him into doing anything with a lawyer; plenty of BITOG'rs might support this, but really, where is the injustice?
You want insurance and the threat of the lawyers involved because this is a complicated issue with a lot of potentially damaged components. I guarantee simple check for your initial estimate is not going to cover the damage to the suspension, insurance co attorneys will guarantee that whatever supplements that pop up when they find more damage will be covered whereas your average joe six pack trying to negotiate with Costco will probably get stiffed with the cheapest possible rental car and a one time repair. An ambulance chaser in this type of scenario is pointless but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t involve the lawyers who’s salary you already pay to ensure the correct outcome.

I am curious as to why the owner of the vehicle did not check the work before leaving? I go over any repair or R&R on a vehicle that involves tires/wheels, steering, brakes, chassis, or suspension. At the tire shops I insist they use a toque wrench and I grab lug nuts before driving off.

Please do not take this as a criticism. I was always taught and under the impression to check and double check my own repairs as well as others. I am happy the outcome was without injury.

You are the .000001% of the population that does this. I check lug torque but that is for over torque no one expects these things to be under torqued.

You want insurance and the threat of the lawyers involved because this is a complicated issue with a lot of potentially damaged components. I guarantee simple check for your initial estimate is not going to cover the damage to the suspension, insurance co attorneys will guarantee that whatever supplements that pop up when they find more damage will be covered whereas your average joe six pack trying to negotiate with Costco will probably get stiffed with the cheapest possible rental car and a one time repair. An ambulance chaser in this type of scenario is pointless but I don’t understand why you wouldn’t involve the lawyers who’s salary you already pay to ensure the correct outcome.

If you are aware of how things work-the threat of a lawsuit or lawyer will result in Costco immediately ceasing all communication with the OP-and turning it over to the legal department. That's real world.

If you are aware of how things work-the threat of a lawsuit or lawyer will result in Costco immediately ceasing all communication with the OP-and turning it over to the legal department. That's real world.

That is what we are told about the "L" word. Had a lady come in back when parts weren't yet available for the Takata recall on the Ford Edge who dropped the L word and I immediately said I could no longer help her and any communication would have to go through our legal department. She was trying to say her lawyer had a letter demanding we source parts that were not yet available and we were required to change the driver's side as well even though only the passenger side was covered under the campaign. She left screaming at me but management stood by me and told her she was free to have her lawyer send the letter to either the owner's lawyer or Ford Corporate. I might have yelled as she got in her car that her lawyer got their degree from a Cracker Jack box.

You are the .000001% of the population that does this. I check lug torque but that is for over torque no one expects these things to be under torqued.

I'm willing to bet the percentage is much higher than you claim. It's just common sense to go over repair work carefully after completion.

I wouldn’t start off with my insurance company....I had an insurance company on the home that if you called for a roof inspection after a hailstorm for an inspection it was a “claim“ and rates were adjusted even if no damage was found.

Back