Friction modifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an atv that has a wet clutch differential. I used Mobil 1 HM oil in it and I think I caused a problem because I can't get the diif to lock when I pull the lever. I changed out the oil to Valv Motorcycle oil and it still does it. Is there alot of friction modifiers in Mobil 1 HM snd should I flush out the diff with something?

Last edited:
I called Mobil tech and they stated that yes it has quite a bit of friction mods and could cause clutch slippage. The oil should be Jaso Ma rated according to them.

Last edited:
Interesting ... I wonder what friction modifiers it has? If that VOA was correct, then it's not moly since it showed only 93ppm, and that should be okay.

FYI, Rotella T 15W-40 CJ-4 (the "Triple Protection" stuff) passed the JASO-MA friction test. I would imagine the 5W-40 synthetic does as well.

If you're sold on Mobil, then just go with the Mobil 4T motorcycle oil ... it's pricey, but it's JASO MA and Mobil.

Well, I flushed the diff three additional times with no results. Must be something with the plates.

Some questions ... not as if I'm much of an expert on ATVs and differential operations, but perhaps it'll stir others to discuss:

Q1 - Miles on the ATV
Q2 - Any signs prior to Mobil 1 HM of slippage?
Q3 - Have you considered a chemical flush of some kind?

Sounds like Mobil marketing dept just steered him to the $9 a qt stuff. Wonder what they'd said if they didn't have a MC oil?

Is it locked- unlocked, or a variable? front or back?
Make sure you didn't over fill it, even by a few oz's.

I picked up Rotella 5w40 which is Jaso MA flushed and filled with the same results. The conclusion is a plate problem which will be repaired upon disassembly.

That's why I put Motorcycle oil in my motorcycles and automobile oil in my cars.

Am planning putting together a dino motor oil based on information given me by an additives manufacturer. We want to use an ultra fine Mos2 but I let myself be talked into a synthesized, oil soluoble Moly. We are firm believers in ZDDp and have a high quantity because we will not be targeting the daily driver market.TBN 10+.

Could I have these things and a synthetic with little or none of these things compare? I know the viscosity is more stable, but my expectation would be that the physical properties of these additives would compensate for deficiencies in the viscosity.

The motorcycle market uses synth oils with a high coefficient of friction (JASO MA)to be wet clutch compatible. How can they still experience temperature decreases, mileage and horsepower increases? A viscosity bath alone?
Wouldn't it be better to dump the dino as described in an engine rather than put the JASO MA oil in the same engine if an integrated clutch were not a consideration? Of course with close attention paid to drain intervals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back