Friction Modifiers

I was wondering, is there a difference in friction modifiers? Who has better ones? Worse ones? Does clutch material make a difference in which one you use?

there are always better or not in almost everything BUT only the pros know!! does it matter is another question, a regular driver or a track day car!!!

Below is a general explanation of friction modification.

A small sample of the ATF Friction Modifiers that may be used in an ATF are as follows::

fatty phosphites, fatty acid amides, fatty epoxides, borated fatty epoxides, fatty amines, glycerol esters, borated glycerol esters, alkoxylated fatty amines, and borated alkoxylated fatty amines, metal salts of fatty acids, sulfurized olefins, fatty imidazolines, non-hydroxyl fatty tertiary amines, and any mixtures of the above.

The exact composition of and specific chemistry (molecular structure) of the Friction Modifier(s) are closely guarded secrets.

Attachments

• Friction Modification General Explanation.pdf
    83.3 KB · Views: 33
The best gear oil or ATF is changed often, clean, magnets wiped off, and specd for your vehicle.

I was wondering, is there a difference in friction modifiers? Who has better ones? Worse ones? Does clutch material make a difference in which one you use?
Okay, but the context of your original post seemed to point to wet clutches in Automatic Transmissions as you weren't really specific.

Are you referring to LS type differentials with clutches? Do you have a problem with an LS type differential?

Okay, but the context of your original post seemed to point to wet clutches in Automatic Transmissions as you weren't really specific.

Are you referring to LS type differentials with clutches? Do you have a problem with an LS type differential?
Yes, looking into installing a Yukon Dura Grip. Hopefully trying to avoid problems. I understand these LS differentals with clutches, operate on the same principal. Some use different clutch material. So could one LS additive work with one and not another or they all could LS additive made for these with varying degree?

Yes, looking into installing a Yukon Dura Grip. Hopefully trying to avoid problems. I understand these LS differentals with clutches, operate on the same principal. Some use different clutch material. So could one LS additive work with one and not another or they all could LS additive made for these with varying degree?
Ok, thanks for the clarification. They operate on a similar principle but use a completely different FM chemistry.

Most GL-5 differential fluids these days contain an LS modifier chemistry but the only way to tell if it is sufficient for the specific LSD is to fill the diffy with the GL-5 fluid and do tight figure 8's in a parking lot with your windows rolled down. If you hear and feel chattering noises then add an extra FM in increments of an ounce at a time, and then repeat the figure 8 routine. It appears Yukon has an LS additive for their LSD's.

The chemistry of most LS FM additives is pretty much the same for most OTS FM additives but I would try the Yukon additive.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the clarification. They operate on a similar principle but use a completely different FM chemistry.

Most GL-5 differential fluids these days contain an LS modifier chemistry but the only way to tell if it is sufficient for the specific LSD is to fill the diffy with the GL-5 fluid and do tight figure 8's in a parking lot with your windows rolled down. If you hear and feel chattering noises then add an extra FM in increments of an ounce at a time, and then repeat the figure 8 routine. It appears Yukon has an LS additive for their LSD's.

The chemistry of LS FM additives is pretty much the same for most OTS FM additives but I would try the Yukon additive.
I wrote to the person I bought it from. He recommended either Yukon, Dana and Ford. It is good to know it is something not that special. Since Ford was listed, I could use something that has there specs.

I would pick Mopar 4318060 (current flavor) all day long.

As with all LSD additives, tight figure of 8s + the minimum required additive is good.

Back