Fresh rebuilt 4L60E , First slow poor throttle response, now leaking ??

Well my weekend is ruined mad. Friday I walked up to a red small puddle of trans fluid under my 07 Suburban and what i'm most po'd about is it was JUST rebuilt a few months ago and the shop has a good reputation smirk2 The trans shop owner isn't giving me any run around and has me locked in for Thursday morning to drop off Any ideas ?? It's not making any noises or slipping but I do have to REALLY step down on the gas pedal for any extra acceleration power on the highway just leaking a lot of trans fluid under torque converter cover. Dave

Last edited:
It could be a bunch of things. If it's in the front, my guess is the TC front pump seal. Worn pump bushings can make the seal leak. Did they rebuild the front pump or install a rebuild to save time? Had a similar situation years ago with my Malibu drag car and TH350. Put it all together and it p!ssed fluid from the front seal. Killjoy. I'm glad they're taking it right in for you though. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. USA

GMguy84

Originally Posted by Zaedock
It could be a bunch of things. If it's in the front, my guess is the TC front pump seal. Worn pump bushings can make the seal leak. Did they rebuild the front pump or install a rebuild to save time? Had a similar situation years ago with my Malibu drag car and TH350. Put it all together and it p!ssed fluid from the front seal. Killjoy. I'm glad they're taking it right in for you though. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. USA
He's thinks its the rear main seal ?? Not sure on the pump ?? I'll have to dig out my receipt to see what he quoted me on the job and all details Ya weekend is no total loss lol I do have my Silverado HD to keep me going for now and it has better working A/C vs the burban lol thumbsup Dave

I remember when I'd had the tranny rebuild in my 87 Toronado,I was driving away and suddenly a line gave way, and all of the fluid was suddenly all over street. That's what the shop told me,a line had come off.

GMguy84

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I remember when I'd had the tranny rebuild in my 87 Toronado,I was driving away and suddenly a line gave way, and all of the fluid was suddenly all over street. That's what the shop told me,a line had come off.
ya thats possible also ?? LOL, I haven't seen a Toronado in FOREVER !! They were ALL OVER in Chicago when I was growing up. LOVED that LCD display VERY ahead of its time thumbsup Dave

Originally Posted by GMguy84
He's thinks its the rear main seal ?? Not sure on the pump ?? I'll have to dig out my receipt to see what he quoted me on the job and all details Ya weekend is no total loss lol I do have my Silverado HD to keep me going for now and it has better working A/C vs the burban lol thumbsup Dave
Rear main seal would leak motor oil (on the engine)-could even be a freak accident like something wrong with the torque converter that damaged the transmission front seal, or a bad front pump could do it too. Had a company van 4L80E rebuilt once, took THREE reman front pumps to get a good one!

GMguy84

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Rear main seal would leak motor oil (on the engine)-could even be a freak accident like something wrong with the torque converter that damaged the transmission front seal, or a bad front pump could do it too. Had a company van 4L80E rebuilt once, took THREE reman front pumps to get a good one!
?? that's what one of the guys said rear seal. But the front pump might be the issue wonder if that is also causing my horrible acceleration ?? Dave

Might have horrible acceleration cause the fluid is low therefore causing slippage. My dodge van barely would go cause it was low on trans fluid

If I'm not mistaken, the only guy I would trust near you is in Fort Worth. clinebarger has the answers you're looking for. I'd give him a yell.

MolaKule

Staff member
...Rear main seal would leak motor oil (on the engine)-could even be a freak accident like something wrong with the torque converter that damaged the transmission front seal, or a bad front pump could do it too. Had a company van 4L80E rebuilt once, took THREE reman front pumps to get a good one!
?? that's what one of the guys said rear seal. But the front pump might be the issue wonder if that is also causing my horrible acceleration ?? Dave[/quote] It could be he was referring to the transmission's Tailshaft seal. I had a Burb that had a bad front U-joint and it wore the seal.

Last edited:

GMguy84

Originally Posted by ctechbob
If I'm not mistaken, the only guy I would trust near you is in Fort Worth. clinebarger has the answers you're looking for. I'd give him a yell.
OH YA !! 100% agree he is EXTREMELY qualified to get the job done ! It would be in his shop. But as I mentioned before. I have a warranty the trans shop on it so going that direction and then plan on selling it to get a Police tahoe thumbsup And I have other work for him to do on my Silverado soon also wink lol Dave

GMguy84

Originally Posted by MolaKule
...Rear main seal would leak motor oil (on the engine)-could even be a freak accident like something wrong with the torque converter that damaged the transmission front seal, or a bad front pump could do it too. Had a company van 4L80E rebuilt once, took THREE reman front pumps to get a good one!
?? that's what one of the guys said rear seal. But the front pump might be the issue wonder if that is also causing my horrible acceleration ?? Dave
It could be he was referring to the transmission's Tailshaft seal. I had a Burb that had a bad front U-joint and it wore the seal. [/quote] You know a bad U-joint could be it !!. I sometimes here a minor clunk and a minor delay when taking off from a stop. I'll defiantly tell the trans shop owner to take a look at that when I drop it of thurs morning thumbsup Dave

GMguy84

Well guys I stopped by the trans shop on the way to my warehouse and I cant believe this it was NO seal or pump The rear bell housing case was CRACKED !!! crzy shocked2 Still shocked cause it has been mainly parked not driven much since it was rebuilt back in late February due to shutdown Thankfully the trans shop is cool not giving me any BS and its currently being fixed under warranty and should be ready tomorrow thumbsup Dave