Fresh oil change makes me feel good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that a fresh oil and filter change makes a person feel good? I also put on new wipers and checked all the tire pressures. Washed, waxed and detailed the interior.
Man I feel good!
Haven't used Mobil 1 in years so I decided to use their 5w20 and a M1 filter too. Good to go.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Why is it that a fresh oil and filter change makes a person feel good?

'Cause you did something nice for the car -- you did your Boy Scout "Good Deed" for the day.

+1

A oil change done by myself makes me feel better also.

I imagine that it has to do with a sense of accomplishment from doing something physically with something else.

In the world today very little is done in the physical realm. We all sit behind computers and do "stuff", and at the end of a 8-12 hour day, you step away from the computer and realize that nothing was really "done".

Ya know?

Its like taking a shower or exercising. Youve done something good that you know is beneficial and smart for the long run.

In today's technologically advanced automotive world, oil changes are the ONE thing many of us can do and can control. I hate the thought of paying someone to change my oil when I can do it my self.

I'll be the wet blanket. I've heard that after a fresh oil change, the amount of wear can actually go up for the time immediately after the change. Something about antiwear additives (primarily ZDDP) needing some time/heat/movement to activate. Of course it would be a balancing act. You leave oil in too long and your antiwear additives (and other additives) are severely depleted.

I do remember Car Talk once talked about changing the oil too often. I suppose the issues would be in possibly damaging the threads on the pan from doing it too much - by overtightening or cross-threading. The deal was about oil change specials at some shops that were less than $10. It actually cost more than that to park a car all day at a garage or lot in a busy downtown location. So someone was asking if it was OK to change the oil every day simply to have a place to park cheap until the end of the day.

Quote:
Why is it that a fresh oil and filter change makes a person feel good?

I don't know the answer, but I agree wholeheartedly. Not only does the car seem to run better, but I have a distinct spring in my step for a few hours.

It's bittersweet. Feels good knowing it's done and done right. On the other hand, it will be months untill it's time to change again and I'll just have to wait to have that feeling again.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
It's been about a thousand miles, and I'm itching already.

Change it out! Who cares? Nobody's gonna know but you and it's good therapy.

I enjoy the entire process so much. Pull out the oil I'm going to use (after deliberating for a few days), set out the filter I'm going to use, pull out the ramps, get the oil drain pan, gloves, wrench, and its on! I love the feeling of getting all of that nasty oil out and getting the honey colored new blood into the motor. Obsession passed down to me from my dad. He's been an obsessive oil changer and oil hoarder since I was a kid.

I'm going to change the oil on a Geo Tracker I bought that's been running rich from worn, massively gapped plugs. It's going to be conventional at first and a fun oil addictive. Then 500 miles later, a synthetic of some sort. Will it be PU? Or GC? Or will it be SM Syntec? All of which I have on hand. Might even be Maxlife. Ooooh the choices.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
It's been about a thousand miles, and I'm itching already.

Then do your neighbor or someone on your block that can't get under the car or takes their car into a JifyLube. Talk about oil or whatever with that person. Just charge them for the oil and filter. Both you and the other person will feel gooooood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back