Fresh oil change, A/F service- does this qualify as multiweight oil? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This evening, after mowing the "front" part of the yard(took ~3 hrs today, grass was up), I changed the oil in the old lawn tractor's 14 HP Briggs I/C OHV engine. That oil had been in for about 2 1/2 yrs, but the machine sat idle for the past two summers- probably about 35-40 hrs on oil. Drained it still pretty hot, looked very dark & pretty well used- it was definitely time for an oil change!

The new fill: 1 qt, + ~5 oz of: Schaeffer's Moly-Bond 200 SAE 30(all I had left), plus ~8 oz of old Valvoline Racing Oil 40 weight SJ(what I used back in my pre-BITOG days), plus 1 oz LC. Also serviced the air filter, used chain saw bar & chain oil on the foam pre-cleaner as suggested long ago by someone here on BITOG(anyone know who?).

Used the leaf blower to remove all the chopped grass, leaves, & dirt that collect on the deck & other places, & now the old relic(bought in 1992, I think) should be ready to soldier on in the grass wars of NE Texas. Gotta admit, with good blades on it the old thing still cuts pretty well.

So what do you think- does my mix of SAE 30 & SAE 40 oil qualify as a multiweight?
grin.gif

No, it probably qualifies as about a straight 33 weight. Neither the 30 weight or the 40 weight has any viscosity improvers that would make it a multiweight or multigrade.

Definately not a multiweight but just fine for the heat of summer. If you are thinking of using your tractor during the winter I would definately advise changing to a multiweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back