Fresh Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ hopefully someone here speaks Russian and can translate some of that for us? (in other words, is this formulation better or worse than the old one? What is the Noack on the new formula?)

Originally Posted by Patman
^^^ hopefully someone here speaks Russian and can translate some of that for us? (in other words, is this formulation better or worse than the old one? What is the Noack on the new formula?)

This is what I can do for you
smile.gif

Summary:
Again Mobil1 produces advanced high-tech oil unlike any other brand's oil.
The main changes compared to the old ESP Formula are that the base oils are even cleaner and "more synthetic" (this is with relation to GTL base oils that have been used).
Detergent / neutralizing properties are higher. The oil has higher TBN and lower TAN (compared to the old ESP Formula), and will be able to neutralize acids longer.
It will give you more fuel savings - viscosity at 40 C is lower (compared to the old ESP Formula).
The oil has good thermal stability at high temperatures.
Due to molybdenum, low viscosity base oils and esters this oil provides even greater fuel economy.
Due to the synthetic base oils (GTL+ PAO) it has excellent poor point (-50 C). Safe to use up to -30 C.
To protect the engine from wear there is a whole arsenal - molybdenum, anti-wear additives ZDDP, esters, boron based anti-wear additives and a thermally stable base oils.
There is supposition that Mobil uses special VIIs (they use term "not simple").
The only negative side of the oil, if of course the data from the analysis are correct - the ash content is too high (0.89).
Noack has not been measured but they believe that it is around 6-8%, because of the base oils that have been used (GTL+PAO+Esters).

Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by Dude-Man

My goal is to use this in a 2018 Audi A4 with the 2.0L TFSI direct injection turbo engine. Not only does this meet the VW 504 spec,

Have you considered the 504 spec'd oil M1 0W30 ESP X for your Audi?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
How will it help keep your valves clean when the oil evaporation is a minimal compared to the blow by gas products and oil mist ?

Where would the "oil mist" be coming from? I would think valve stem seal leakage would be the worst culprit followed by higher evaporation? I'm not too concerned about what gets by the rings as that is just introduced in to the combustion chamber below the valves. Although avoiding LSPI is always nice...
Do you know how an engine lubes it self?

Originally Posted by emod

This is what I can do for you
smile.gif

Summary:
Again Mobil1 produces advanced high-tech oil unlike any other brand's oil.
The main changes compared to the old ESP Formula are that the base oils are even cleaner and "more synthetic" (this is with relation to GTL base oils that have been used).
Detergent / neutralizing properties are higher. The oil has higher TBN and lower TAN (compared to the old ESP Formula), and will be able to neutralize acids longer.
It will give you more fuel savings - viscosity at 40 C is lower (compared to the old ESP Formula).
The oil has good thermal stability at high temperatures.
Due to molybdenum, low viscosity base oils and esters this oil provides even greater fuel economy.
Due to the synthetic base oils (GTL+ PAO) it has excellent poor point (-50 C). Safe to use up to -30 C.
To protect the engine from wear there is a whole arsenal - molybdenum, anti-wear additives ZDDP, esters, boron based anti-wear additives and a thermally stable base oils.
There is supposition that Mobil uses special VIIs (they use term "not simple").
The only negative side of the oil, if of course the data from the analysis are correct - the ash content is too high (0.89).
Noack has not been measured but they believe that it is around 6-8%, because of the base oils that have been used (GTL+PAO+Esters).

Hope this helps...

It helps a lot, thank you very much emod! The new formula sounds good but it's a bummer than the ash content is now 0.89, as the older formula that I use is only 0.6 sulfated ash, which I think is better in the long run for keeping the engine cleaner, especially with direct injection. I really do like that the viscosity at 40c is much lower, while still keeping a 3.5 HTHS.

Patman why oil are you thinking of going with now. I just did a UOA ony 18 6.2 Silverado, with Mobil 5w 30 EP, it sheared down a good bit I thought. I was looking at this 5w30 esp but not sure now with the higher Ash content. ?

I have 6 more L of 5w30 ESP Formula for my next oil change in the summer of next year and I'll probably go with whatever version of 5w30 ESP I can get for the oil change after that.

I have 6 more L of 5w30 ESP Formula for my next oil change in the summer of next year and I'll probably go with whatever version of 5w30 ESP I can get for the oil change after that.

Why not use the new Corvette 0-40 that Mobil and Chevy spent thousands of man hours of testing on?

Just curious, with the Ash content at .89, I was wondering if anyone would know what the Ash content limit for a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil is , I wanted to see how the Ash content compares . I like this oil with the higher hths and better cold flow properties. Just was concerned with the higher ash. The oil I'm using now is Mobil EP. 5w30 and has a Ash content of .8 the esp is .89 so maby that is not a big difference.

Originally Posted by Mainia

Why not use the new Corvette 0-40 that Mobil and Chevy spent thousands of man hours of testing on?

Because I haven't seen it in any retail outlets so far, and even if I did, I'm not convinced that it's a better choice over the 5w30 version of ESP Formula.

SA of .89 is still pretty low comparted to most oils. Regular Mobil 1 is .8 now. The prior ESP was the lowest I've seen at .6. Amsoil is over 1.1, some of Castrol's oils are also above 1. I believe Valvoline is around .9.

Where would the "oil mist" be coming from? ...

The oil that's squirted out of the sides of the main bearings and big end bearings is churned by the rotating crankshaft and creates an oil mist in the crankcase. The mist, along with blowby gasses through the rings, gets sucked up through the PCV system and then flows over the intake valves. The accumulation of this chemical soup on the hot intake valve faces gets coked on during the engine's heat soak, being more of a problem in GDI engines where there is no fuel solvent washing the valves.

Your opinion means nothing to those involved in the engineering, manufacturing, and the approvals of this oil.
Nothing to me as well …

You are comparing 2 different oils here.The first picture is ESP Formula 5w-30 and the Blackstone VOA is ESP 5w-30.Mobil changed from one to the other(can't remember which way).Not sure what the Russian one is although looking at the 40C value it looks like it may be the "formula" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back