Fresh footage of my Corvette on-track

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got a GoPro mount that attaches to my harness bar, so I figured it was time to take some in-car footage with an external mic. This is Autobahn Country Club's full/combined circuit. I was able to turn a new personal best despite being on worn-down brake pads and a more sedate Pilot Super Sport (previous PB was set on Cup 2s).

FYI the second video is wide POV, the first one is medium POV. I was experimenting a bit since I had never used the GoPro in a car with such low roofline and small windows.

Enjoy the sweet sounds of the Chevy small block V8!

Originally Posted By: dblshock
sweet..bet your not running 0/20.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40. It's the new factory fill for 2019 Corvettes, Camaros, and Cadillac V models. It has a 10L dry sump -- oil pressures are rock solid and oil temps never exceed 270, even after 30 minutes in 90 degree heat.

Is that still the NPP performance exhaust on your car, or did you change it out? It sure sounds loud!
smile.gif
Mine just has the standard non NPP exhaust so it's nowhere near that loud at full throttle.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Is that still the NPP performance exhaust on your car, or did you change it out? It sure sounds loud!
smile.gif
Mine just has the standard non NPP exhaust so it's nowhere near that loud at full throttle.

It's the standard NPP but I taped a microphone to the rear bumper.
cool.gif

Great footage. Nice to see someone properly enjoying what a Vette has to offer.
Are you using "sub belts"? If you are, then you need to properly secure your seat so it doesn't move in the event of a collision. Otherwise your "gents" get torn off. This just happened recently at another track.
Have fun.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Props for having a vette and not being afraid to use it! What are the rules on the track? Looks like you don't try to pass in turns...

You can only pass with a point-by in designated sections (pretty much any straightaway). This is not competitive or wheel-to-wheel so safety and respect for other drivers are stressed. There are corner workers with flags who will assist with this as well.

Originally Posted By: 555
Great footage. Nice to see someone properly enjoying what a Vette has to offer.
Are you using "sub belts"? If you are, then you need to properly secure your seat so it doesn't move in the event of a collision. Otherwise your "gents" get torn off. This just happened recently at another track.
Have fun.

No sub-belts because the factory seats do not have a provision for them. I know that some will say you can sit on the sub belts, but Schroth and Brey-Krause (the harness bar manufacturer) do not recommend this. I run Schroth Profi-II ASM 4-points with a HANS, as you can see in the video. The 4-point belts have the anti-submarine technology: https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/tuning/service/technologie-tech-tip/schroth-asm.html

Originally Posted By: paulri
Looks like fun. Do you know about how fast you were going?

The car's data recorder shows my top speed was about 123 and max lateral G was 1.46! I'll upload the data recorder video later today since it overlays speed, G, time, etc.

Can you get speed, braking, g-force, gear etc data to show onscreen? Like NASCAR and video games.

How hard are you pushing it? Just curious if a guy is willing to drive 10/10s in his '17 Vette anywhere on the track? Noticed the tires chirping a couple of times.

Nice driving. Lots of fun.
19.gif

I'm looking for the same car but without black wheels.
95% of GS are ordered with black wheels, the GS with pearl grey wheels have Auto transmission.
frown.gif

Can you get speed, braking, g-force, gear etc data to show onscreen? Like NASCAR and video games.

How hard are you pushing it? Just curious if a guy is willing to drive 10/10s in his '17 Vette anywhere on the track? Noticed the tires chirping a couple of times.

I was just thinking the vids were a good reminder to drive more smoothly! With the good suspension and street tires, going 8-9/10 may not look particularly spectacular, but that also means he's not making any mistakes to recover from. Also most street tires really don't like sliding excessively and start to overheat loosing grip. Probably he's sliding more than you think, but not enough to make much noise.

Yep. The car has the Cosworth Performance Data Recorder (PDR). This consists of a webcam integrated into the rear view mirror and datalogging of telemetry to an SD card in the glovebox for later analysis. You can see certain performance data in real-time on the HUD or instrument cluster, though I tend not to pay much attention to those while I'm driving. I do look at the split times and keep an eye on temperatures/pressures, but that's it. Video of the session below.

I have really gotten into the data analysis. There is so much to be learned from it, especially when you compare to someone driving the same car pulling better lap times. Also a good excuse to brush up on basic physics and algebra.

I am pushing it pretty hard because that's what I bought the car for, and also because this is a safe and legal way to do it! In the end it is still using street tires so I am limited by those...and my wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back