Frequent Change of Synthetic Oil Brands Cause for Increased Engine Wear ?

ChrisD46

Thanks for the replies - I believe there is some truth that a new oil change with a different oil will have a short period of new detergents stripping away the previous oil layer before replacing with its own new oil layer - not enough of a difference to be concerned with . Perhaps more interesting is measuring wear at the front end of a new oil change versus the back end of an OCI ( not linear as wear levels out on the back end of an OCI until the oil is no longer doing it's job ) . *A moot point for many GDI engines as I can't imagine running a 7,500 OCI in a Hyundai 2.4L GDI Theta II engine as by the 4K ~ 5K mileage mark the oil is really nasty . I'll continue to use what I have in my oil stash (D1 / Gen 2 , 3 synthetic oil) for 4K mile OCI's - if nothing else to clean soot out of the timing chain to prevent soot - induced stretch .

The military changes oil brands and abuses their equipment more than any of us ever will and they get good service life from it.

I say change brands and OCIs as often as you like.

The phenomenon certainly does exist; higher wear comes at the front end of an OCI. But to be very clear about this, we're NOT talking about massive detrimental wear escalation after the OCI. The shift is typically, it's about 1ppm higher or so. However, it's not associated with changing brands as you indicate. It's simply changing oil that causes the uptick in wear rate; the brand and base stock are not precipitator of the wear increase.

- Discussed here in detail:

- Also as noted, here:

I have 20k+ UOAs in my database (literally; so many that I've lost count). The data proves with no shadow of doubt that there is a slight uptick of wear after an OCI.
I have often wondered if it is actually increased wear or remnants of higher concentrations of wear metals which are in the oil that remains in the engine after an oil change and it levels off as the new oil picks up new wear metals.

Seems like if 100% engine cleaning was performed as part of a controlled test, it would help determine if that was a possibility.

Could be some merit to it since you can see additive pack components carrying over between OCIs when the new oil does not have that component (titanium vs. moly or sodium as an example).

EDIT: Here MS5K has sodium as part of its additive pack, but Kendall does not (as far as I know), yet you see sodium showing in the UOAs after the MS5K was used:

Add Pack.jpg

Last edited: