Freezing bread

Does anyone else freeze bread?

Since I've been trying to keep my carb intake down I no longer make a breakfast sandwich every morning so buying a loaf of bread goes bad before we can consume it so I started freezing the whole loaf. I'm finding the only way I like bread that's been in the freezer is if I toast it.

Dang, meant to post this in the foods section.

Last edited:

Since I've been trying to keep my carb intake down I no longer make a breakfast sandwich every morning so buying a loaf of bread goes bad before we can consume it so I started freezing the whole loaf. I finding the only way I like bread that's been in the freezer is if I toast it.

Been doing it for years at work. I always toast it since it makes my sandwich feel more "gourmet". Usually have rye and wholewheat on hand.

I always keep two extra loaves in the freezer. Buying the freshest bread you can find helps retain the flavor when it's thawed out. I don't need to toast it when I use it, and I can't tell it from fresh.
I've even frozen milk, but that's just for emergencies, not a regular thing for me.

Who eats sliced white bread anymore?

But Yeah, I used to freeze bagels and leftover pancakes - now I use Mission Fajita tortillas for bread bc = cheap.
They stay fresh across the week I'm eating them.

Lived on thawed thrift store bread for many years in my youth. My father would come home from his sales route, with 5¢ loaves from the thrift bakery store.

Is there a problem with freezing milk? I throw away far more milk than I use.

Since I've been trying to keep my carb intake down I no longer make a breakfast sandwich every morning so buying a loaf of bread goes bad before we can consume it so I started freezing the whole loaf. I finding the only way I like bread that's been in the freezer is if I toast it.

I've been freezing bread for decades all to a good end. However, I don't ever recall freezing typical store-bought white bread, so I cannot speak to that specifically. I generally always toast the bread, but sometimes I just let some defrost and use it that way after it comes to temp.

They sell shelf stable milk that’s good for a year or two in your pantry. I always keep one or two in stock in case my milk goes bad or we run out. Taste identical to fresh milk, can’t tell the difference.

We freeze bread all the time. We pick up bread from the bakery when it's often still warm. It freezes very well.

First of all, you have to make sure the loaves are cool. You put the bread in a plastic bag of course. It helps to put a paper towel in with the bread. The paper towel seems to absorb any excess moisture.

Lived on thawed thrift store bread for many years in my youth. My father would come home from his sales route, with 5¢ loaves from the thrift bakery store.

Same here..ate the thrift store bread. Had to buy 10 for the cheap price. Froze the rest.

Nah i freeze milk all the time. Just don't freeze half and half. Once it defrosts it doesn't go bad or spoil per se but the consistency becomes all messed up.

I usually just keep it in the fridge, it lasts easily two weeks like that, compared to maybe a week at most on the counter. It does dry it out just a touch but I usually eat bread toasted 90% of the time anyway.

We will freeze things like bagels or tortillas if we aren't going to be using them again for a while.

The local markets have a poor selection and high prices so a couple times a month I make a 70 mile round trip down the mountain to a large supermarket to stock up. I always buy some multi grain bread, sourdough or rye and often a package or two of bagels. One loaf stays in the pantry, all others go in the freezer. I have never noticed any adverse affects from freezing and I don't worry about bread getting moldy or stale before I can eat it. Especially with today's food prices, I hate to waste food.

I typically purchase more bread than I can eat because I shop a lot at Costco. What I mean is that I cannot eat it fast enough before it might spoil sitting out at room temperature. I freeze bread and this process works very well for me:
1. I have a chest freezer that I use and I do this because freezing foods can be very successful when using a manual defrost freezer. Most peoples freezers today are self defrosting and while that’s very convenient, those freezers seriously dehydrate food and can create lots of freezer burn depending on how long you have an item in frozen storage. As a matter of fact, I no longer use the self defrosting freezer in my refrigerator at all except for ice. I have stored things for many months in my chest freezer and they have never come out tasting weird or freezer burned.
2. Another option depending on how long it takes you to go through the bread that you have stored is to keep it in the refrigerator. I actually begin by freezing my bread and then as I need it, I pull from the freezer and then keep the loaf I’m using in the refrigerator. This is especially helpful in the summer when the humidity levels are higher and bread can mould more quickly than it does in the winter time. Just like lots of people, I enjoy toast as well but never have felt the need to toast the bread that I have frozen just to have it be palatable or taste good. Hope this is useful.

Back